epidural question

Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM

epidurals are drugs. i do not approve of giving drugs to babies, unborn or not unless there is a critical situation. they definitely are not necessary, as before they existed, nobody had them!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
epidurals are drugs. i do not approve of giving drugs to babies, unborn or not unless there is a critical situation. they definitely are not necessary, as before they existed, nobody had them!
Hmmm, pretty strong point of view. I'm glad you had easy deliveries. But if we follow the "they used to....." theory, we'd also have to add " they used to lose mom's in delivery, they used to lose more babies at delivery, they used to have more birth defects from difficult labour, the fathers never got to watch (because they'd be in the parlour with their cigars) etc, etc, etc.
An epidural does not give drugs to the baby. It is a local anesthetic that affects the mom.
Giving the mother narcotics to dull the pain (shots) DOES affect the baby as they cross the placenta barrier.
The risks of epidurals now is a LOT less that even 15 years ago.
As another poster said - you wouldn't have a tooth pulled without anesthetic , would you ----- they used to!
Just because one mother can pop out babies without needing pain control does not give her the position to dictate other's needs.
Just sayin.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM

My Ddil had an epidural it paralyzed her legs but had no effect on on pains. It all depends so it is a personal decision. It may or may not help and they don;t usually give it until it is almost over anyway!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
An epidural is a drug given to the mother, but it doesn't reach the baby. It stays in the spinal cavity and the baby doesn't get any of it. It doesn't save your life, but it saved the lives of both my first kids. Of course nobody had them before they existed...how could they? Scientific advances should not be put down. I am sure our grandmothers would have taken them if they were available.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Nothing wrong with an epidural. When I had my son four years ago I was told that I could have one at any point that I wanted it. I could have gotten it when I first walked in. I decided to wait until I thought I really wanted it. I was dilated to a 9 before I got mine. It didn't totally take away the pain but it definitely helped ease it. And it helped me relax. So when it was finally time to push I was ready and able. Less than 5 min of pushing and my son was here. The more mommy is relaxed the better it is. I say if she wants the epidural let her have it. Also the day I went in I was also told about all of my options and what the pros and cons are of everything. This wasn't the first time I had this explained either. This was an informed decision
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

I have a feeling this topic is going to get locked!!!
Let's not get too opinionated here!! Our experiences are as varied as our quilts and there is no right or wrong. :D
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by shequilts
As one who once taught LazMaze classes, I can tell you this is the way to go. Why suffer? It does not harm the baby and can allow the Mom to cooperate better.
As one who until recently taught HypnoBirthing Childbirth Education classes, I am so surprised you feel this way! Labor does NOT have to be suffering. There are literally thousands of women who give birth pain free, including me and both my business partners. We are not freaks of nature, I assure you. Training and education can make a HUGE difference in ones perception and expectation.

Besides which, the drug used in an epidural is fentanyl, a narcotic that is also used as one of the "street drugs" our country is fighting the drug war against. As a narcotic it DOES cross the placenta and affect the baby, even if he appears to be okay in a few hours.

Most reputable hospitals and doctors do not recommend starting an epidural extremely early in labor because it can slow down the process, lower blood pressure, affect the baby's heart rate, and require the use of other drugs to correct the problems the narcotic caused. We call it the domino effect that leads to a c-section in labor.

Guess I'm still passionate about giving every baby the best chance at his start in life; it should no longer be about the mother at that point. Off my soap box now. Sorry.

Jan in VA
Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM

4 babies and no epiderals option at that time also spinal tap said no way did lamaze
Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 PM

I had two epidurals { Spinal Blocks} and the only thing the Doctor's told me at the time was that years down the road they could cause me to have Authritis of the spine trouble and he was right I do suffer from Arthritis of the spine, so bad I wished that I would have thought more about that advise
before taking the themback then :shock:
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 PM

If she does decide to get an epidural, be sure that they give it 'soon enough but not too soon' (like I have any clue how to tell when that point is, LOL!). I do know that giving it as the baby is crowning, as happened with my first, is useless and led to my decision to try natural with the others. I did have a local for the snip and the stitches afterwards.
DD had said she wanted whatever drugs they would give her, but by the time she went to the hospital it was past time for them to be effective, so she ended up doing natural anyway. Thankfully DGS only weighed 6 lb 9oz.