epidural question

Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I didn't want one, but I wound up getting one after I was in labor for 20 hours and felt like I just needed to rest. It relaxed me enough to the point I had my daughter an hour after I got the epidural. Without it, I probably would have had to have a C-Section. My daughter was 10 pounds 2 oz at birth and I didn't feel a thing.
I was in labor for 16 hours because the epidural would not work and so in the midst of all the time, my bladder dropped. Since had to have it tied up; still have some problems. 61 years old now. Suggest you get an epidural as soon as doctor says it is okay.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Power Poster

I have had two c-sections, one with epidural, so I could remain awake - I had placenta praevia and my baby was delivered 1 month early....Both of us did beautifully. The second I had under anaesthetic...delivered a healthy baby and though I missed "the action" bonded with him straight away and no problems there either.

Each birth is different, some people find it easy, others not....I don't think there's any right or wrong way. You have to look at the options and pick the one that is right for you and your baby.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Luckily, this is not one for us to decide. It's between your daughter and her doctor. Of course, these days she will surely read all the pros and cons on the Internet before she decides. They won't give it to her right away, and she does need to understand that, so she can cope with whatever labor she will experience. I had an epidural for my first, after many hours of labor, and it was a relief, but I did not like losing control. Baby was vigorously alert. My two later babies were less complicated births and an epidural would have been overkill in those situations, in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Lots of judgement here. This is a personal decision between mom-to-be and her doctor. Should we go back to the old days, when mom was alone in labor and delivery, dad in the waiting room? Forced to be shaved and have enema while contracting? As an L&D nurse I can say that we do nothing to hurt the baby, IV drugs are only given early in labor and they wear off quickly, long before baby is born and needs to breathe. Epidural drugs are injected into the epidural space. They never get into the bloodstream, and do not make either mom or baby sleepy. Trust your daughter and her doctor to make the right decision for her.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 AM

I took lamaze with my first, did not want an epidural. Had to have a C-Section and thus an epidural. Planned the C-Section with my 2nd & 3rd, had the epidural with the 2nd, had a Saddleblock with the 3rd.(Dr. suggested it) I was sick afterwards with the epidurals, but the Saddleblock left me feeling paralyzed from the belly down for many hours after delivery. I did not like that.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 AM

3 kids all natural, but my longest labor was 5 hours, last one in 1 hour.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 AM

[quote=amandasgramma]I had natural childbirth --- if I were to do it again -- I'd have an epidural......and a Mai Tai.......and morphine........and and and............ :)

I'm with you. I had five and I say "Give me all you got and wake me when it's over!" LOL
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM

My doctor had one with her babies and so did I. She will have to wait till she is dialated to a certain point but for me it sped up my delivery - my nurse told us when I wanted to be checked that because of my epidural it would be a few more hours. To her surprise she ran out yelling to call Dr. I was having my baby now! Also my baby was VERY alert when he was born! Let your granddaughter decide.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Never had one. Having listened to horror stories about how bad labor was from my grandmother I decided to have drugs with the first one.They gave me Demoral then yelled at me when I finally woke up because I didnt help get myself into bed. Bed? What bed? I didn't even know what I had for 24 hours after giving birth. And I felt like c**p for weeks afterward.
2 more natural all the way. I was fine . I was relaxed maybe because I didn't go to the hospital until I absolutely had to, had my kids quickly. Ready to go home a few hours later.
I was offered an epidural and I thought about it until they told me where the needle was going.NOPE I am doing fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Had first son at hospital with all the bells, cords and moniter's and drugs. DR believed in Demerol but not epidural.
Had second son at home with a midwife, no drugs and I given a choice I would do the midwife option.