epidural question

Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 AM

As an RN,they are safe and I think better for both mom and baby than a general anesthesia.Let her make the choice. Of course use a good reputable Physician.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Dix

I am an OB/GYN nurse, retired, and there is no reason not to have an epidural! Makes the whole birth process wonderfully normal. I just wish they had it 57 years ago. It is usually not given until 4 cm. dilation, so you will have the early feelings of contractions. Once in a while they do not work as well on some women, but as a whole, unless you are a want to be super woman, get the drugs.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Sorry I am totally against them! I had 5 boys weighing up to 10bs 13 oz without and I do not remember much of labor~~I think they make newborns drowsy!! I just think natural is the way to go! Just my opinion.
That is fine if it works for you. I once worked with a woman who had a really easy delivery with her 10lb 2oz baby. I also know someone who had such a tough time with her normal sized baby that she had her doctor tie her tubes immediately after the delivery! Every woman is different and needs to make the decision for herself without being made to feel guilty about her choice.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

First of all your grandmom and it's her choice. ;)

Personally there was no way on earth anyone was sticking a needle in my back/spine! lol I never wanted one. That said however, everything IMO comes with risk and I ended up having a peri-cervical block which from my understanding is no longer given today because of the risks however for me they worked like a charm! (or at least let me state that none of the younger women I've been around in the last 5-10 years having children have ever heard of a block like this)

When I had my babies you couldn't be too far along to have an epidural and I was always too far along by the time I got to the hospital if I had wanted one or not so they wouldn't have given it to me. Today they seem to give them whenever the woman wants one.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM

A "spinal" and an "epidural" are not the same!!! I would not have a spinal, as I think this is injected through the spinal covering, while epidual just go into the space next to the nerve..someone with more medical knowledge than me can explain it!! I know severe headaches may result from spinals as well as other dangerous complications. I had 2 c-sections and 2 epidurals and hours and hours of labor before hand. Its a really personal decision, but there's no need to fear an epidural. Thay can turn a very negative experince into something very joyful. It all depends on the person having the baby!!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM

I had one with my first, because I was being induced and then they had problems with her position and had to re-position her. I didn't have time with my second-she came (start to finish) in under two hours. Personal choice I think as far as my DD and DIL were given, they both had them, although the DD second child came after 24 hours of labor, so she really needed it by the time the baby came.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

I had an epidural and it was wonderful. That was over 40 years ago, but looking back I'd do it again. My son is 6'1" and healthy as can be; giving birth was absolutely the most wonderful thing that I've ever done. Being pregnant was one of the happiest times in my life. We had been told we couldn't have children and after being married five years I went to the doctor with what I thought was a kidney infection. Nine months later we were the parents of an 8 lb 15 3/4 oz "kidney infection." Unfortunately we were never able to get pregnant again. Well that certainly was more information than you wanted, sorry.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

i have had 3... in all 3 cases my dr decided if and when it was necessary. i would think that is a question between your daughter and her doctor...not really grandma and the quilt forum. as far as safety...with all medical procedures there are risks. the doctor will explain those before it is determined if the procedure is needed/or wanted
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

well i learned something here. good. it's always good to learn. thanks ladies.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM

i forgot to add that my DIL had an epidural and she had a long labor - when it came time to "push" b/c of epidural she had trouble feeling to push - tried for 1.5 hours and finally they had to do a "C" section. Baby was nearly 9#'s