Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine? >
  • Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

• Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 AM

Since we live on the Texas coast we have had to evacuate for huricanes several times. I keep one featherweight machine in our RV permanently. I take my computer tower and my laptop.(gives me current weather and damage assessments) The tower has all our tax records and my genealogy files. I take Drawer No 1 out of the file cabinet. It contains all the insurance records. I take the 2 plastic tubs out of the middle bedroom (family non replaceable pictures). turn off the electricity, and gas, load the dogs, hook up the RV, and we are gone. The last time for Ike I forgot to turn off the electricity and we burned up the water well pump. Unfortunately we have had many practice drills, but no damage except the well pump which cost $1041.00, less than my deductible.
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM

No. Insurance would cover buying a new machine. My pictures of my family would be what I would grab. I can not replace those.
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    No...the insurance company would buy me a new one..lol.

I think I'd grab my laptop (because it has pictures in it) and photo albums...everything else can be replaced.
    That was my first thought! lol I would not only grab my laptop, but my extra hard drive and camera too!

TreeFrog
    Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 AM

When I was a young teen, our house caught on fire and I got my family out first and the the cat, next came the sewing machine. That machine made all my clothes as a teenager(panties and all).
    Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM

I had to evacuate 3 years ago and I brought my children, husband, dog, urn carrying our beloved Belle (lab), laptops, important paperwork and photos. My 25 year old Kenmore was the last thing on my mind. If I ever get a new machine, my priorities could change! Bad joke.
    Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Having been in a situation where wildfires were blazing (about 3 blocks away), I found myself taking important papers and several odd items, while my husband took a book. One of our daughters happened to be visiting and took down all our family photos and put them in her car. Basically, we just left the house and knew we had the most important things with us ... each other (and pets, too). Our other daughter lived about 20 miles away and was completely safe. I've always said the house and belongings were "sticks and bricks" ... and was really put to the test. We were blessed to return to find our home in tact ... full of smoke and ash, but still okay. For me ... stuff can be replaced, family cannot.
    Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM

We have a steamer trunk that we can take with us. Documents that cant be replaced, pictures etc. We also have a disc with pictures of things in the house, garage and shop for the insurance company.

Things to take.....

the dogs
    the cat
    the trunk
    photo albums

Everything else is insured.
    Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Grandkids!!
    Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM

After my husband passed his family broke in every time I left the house so all my important papers[originals]are in Missouri I'm in Ohio the only things that are not replaceable I now keep in my trunk So all I'd take is my brother and 2dogs/2cats and my quilt pattern collection is easy to grab on the way out We use to keep Ins/BCs/titles and our marriage license in a dbl ziplock in the freezer-fire or water will not destroy the ice box I was skeptical til a neighbors house burnt down and every thing was safe and dry made dealing with their ins co. easier
    Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Hmm, great question.

I suppose if I was told in enough time to take anything and was able to drive away in my car, I probably would (once I get a sewing machine, which will be sometime this year). Then again, I like the answer about insurance buying me a new one, so it would depend on whether the thing I'm evacuating for is covered by insurance. (Natural disasters often aren't covered.)

I keep a folder of my most important papers, such as my birth certificate, so that would come with me, along with my purse and laptop. The desktop would come, too, because it's pre-Vista Windows and with a monitor that isn't one of the wide ones. I wouldn't be able to replace it easily. Then there are some books I'd insist on bringing, and I suppose I ought to take some clothes. But LOL, I'd take my comfy clothes, not what I wear to work.
    Most insurance policies have a dollar limit on a per item replacement without a ryder. For example, I had to get a ryder for each of my sewing machine, my $2,500 laptop (years ago), but not my serger as it was under $1,500. So while I had $100K in replacement content insurance it would not have givein me $6,000 to replace my top of the line sewing/embroidery machine.

I guess it is still the same. We now live in Florida in a mobile home and the insurance company sets a limit on how much contents it will cover, regardless :(. It's really frustrating. So, yes, I would evacuate my machines in case of a hurricane or fire (given the time).