Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ever do something so dumb you question your own basic intelligence?

Power Poster
    think we are all on overload at times things just happen!!!
    QUILTNMO

I backed out of the garage with the back car door open. Yup - sprung the car door and wrecked the track for the garage door. Try explaining that one to hubby. Redemption - a few weeks later he backed his pickup out of the garage with the garage door still shut! Someone take the garage away from these people!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'll add a little one, try throwing the contents of you refillable 64oz soda out a rolled up window. Done this when I was 16, that was a few decades ago & I still remember it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Why doesn't our brain stop us?
    peace
    y

Yall must have been standing in the shadows the day that a dear friend bought me a wonderful expensive gift basket of creams, lotions, and potions. I stood there slathering this wonderfully smooth cream all over my arms, brought my arm up to sniff it just as the burning began. I grabbed the bottle to see what the heck, only to read in small print "contains soothing lavender"! Did I forget to say I am highly allergic to lavender? That stupid ended with a trip to the ER to stop the reaction!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I've done all kinds of things like these -- but my memory's gotten so bad that I can't recall one off the top of my head!

It's called being "human".

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Started to boil eggs for something...put on stove...went downstairs to do,something....got totally distracted...next thing I hear is DH yelling for me to come back up...as I do he is holding blackened pan with burst burned eggs in it...some of the " exploded" egg stuck to ceiling! Happened about 4 yrs ago, last year cleaning a "hidden corner" of kitchen produced another chunk of now totally mummified piece of egg! Now I set to boil, set timer, and put that timer on my body...in pocket or hang around neck and continue my chores! Family still chuckles....

oh, yeah. absent-minded professor, here. sunday, got home from a grocery run, left minivan in driveway while i hauled things in. family on the way for lunch, early arrivers showing up, grandkids in the house, looking for granny assistance, people coming in different doors....and an hour later, when my youngest daughter showed up with her little one, she handed me my car keys, saying, "i parked it. and turned it off. it was still running." good thing it was an old minivan. nobody ever steals one of those... (idiot. yep.)
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

I was delivering pizzas. The customer didn't answer the door so I went back to my car to use my phone and call him. I didn't get an answer so I had started the car to leave when the customer runs up to my car. I get out of the car with it still running to give him the pizzas and what happens? The door shuts, Automatic locks. I had to wait for roadside assistance with the car running at an apartment complex. Then I had to explain what happened to my manager.

I love these stories!!

I have another one...I was new to my job (so this was 19 years ago) and I had treated myself to a morning cup of coffee at Starbucks. Getting out of my car was a mess; I had my purse & a laptop bag slung over one shoulder, a cup of coffee in that hand, and my keys in my other hand. As I was locking my car, my laptop bag slipped down to my elbow. Not thinking, I raised my arm above my head to slip the strap back up to my shoulder...and POURED COFFEE all over myself. I don't know what I was thinking. (Obviously NOT MUCH)

I borrowed a sweater to cover it up but it only hid so much. I spent the whole day feeling extremely stupid and self-conscious because I was covered in coffee stains. Just thinking about it now makes me want to crawl under my desk!! Fortunately, I think anybody who saw me that day has quit or retired since then, LOL.

I shut my head in the car door once.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
    I backed out of the garage with the back car door open. Yup - sprung the car door and wrecked the track for the garage door. Try explaining that one to hubby. Redemption - a few weeks later he backed his pickup out of the garage with the garage door still shut! Someone take the garage away from these people!!!!!
    OMG, this one slays me!! Not funny at the time, I'm sure, but pretty funny now!

I once popped a tire trying to parallel park my car - DH was trying to help me improve my horrible parallel parking skills and it didn't go so well. I went up on the curb, and somehow as I came back down it pinched the sidewall of the tire between the curb and my rim and just sliced it wide open. Now that's some skill! (I am still terrible at parallel parking, too.) The guy at the tire shop asked me if someone slashed my tire, and then laughed his butt off when I told him what had happened. I should have said yes, someone slashed my tire!

I did that once.I still feel stupid.But,at least I'm not alone.

All I can say is , you are all making me feel better. LOL.. There are so many things I have done , I can't even think of one . Its a given that I will do something silly almost daily.

Blog Entries
    One spring, during heavy flooding the power went out, we were told it would be out for 2-3 days. I had invited friends over for dinner. Said friend called the morning of to re-schedule because of the outage, said " no , come anyway, I'll jut used the microwave" . THEY CAME! all 4 of us, Me and the DH, girl friend and her DH all had the same "senior moment" that lasted all afternoon and up to the moment I put the casserole into the microwave! We had salad and crackers and cheese by candlelight. Duh?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Had to stop at a gas station to use the restroom. Went to use the toilet paper realized my thong underpants were still up. That was many years ago. Also the end of any thong undergarments.

Power Poster
    Seriously? At least a half dozen times a week, if not more. I just look at myself and say Why? Suffice it to say that many, many times they can turn into funny stories, so I can laugh at myself.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    After a frustrating trip to the grocery store, today I waited with irritation (cause my back hurt so badly) in line at the post office to buy stamps.
    Got in the car to leave and realized I'd left my sunglasses on the counter.
    Back out of the car I struggled back into the post office and asked for the glasses...
    the clerk laughed and said, "are these yours?"
    I then quipped, "do you happen to have my head back there too?!"
    She looked down, then responded, "Oh yeah, here it is on the floor."

The humor helped.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I went to an Autism talk this week, I'm told by the experts that everybody has at least 10% autism. I was telling my friends I think my percentage is much higher than that. So we may be able to put our regular mishaps down to this. At least one good thing was your tea didn't spill on a freshly made quilt.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when I was younger, I stayed in the car while my mom went in the store. I was sitting on the passenger side in the front. it was warm out, so I opened the car door for some air --- I saw her coming out of the store, so I pulled it closed [I thought] when she started the car & backed up, the door flew open & I fell on the pavement & she almost ran over me -- of course she was frantic, but it all turned out ok ---
    .....I think I have enough stories to fill those 50 pages!!!......
    "variety is the spice of life"

I had been to the store for a few things. Came home and into the garage. Put my jug of milk down on a small table out there so one hand would be free to unlock the kitchen door. Next day I wanted some milk and there was none in the fridge. Ahem!

sorry, but I've done crazier things

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for sharing! It helps to know that it's a common thing for otherwise competent people to leave their brain in neutral occasionally!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Oh Please, This is why I love you all on this board.
    Okay here's one of my worst. The shopping trip from He--. Bad day at work, long line at store, finally get home, bring in the groceries, put the cooler on the porch while I get rest in... $ 55.87 worth of meats in the cooler. Didn't even miss it. About 6 weeks later grabbed the cooler for another marathon day of work, shop, schlepp home and Yowzer!!!
    Hubby just looked at me. Duh
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Quote Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
    My rule to remember is to never put a cup of ice coffee on top of the car to free your hand to open the car door if the sun roof is open. What a mess!
    I did that once with my car keys, on the passenger side and DH had already opened the door. Had drinks in my hand and we drove off with the keys on the roof. Not a happy ending.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast