Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever do something so dumb you question your own basic intelligence?

Ever do something so dumb you question your own basic intelligence?

I don't generally think of myself as being dumb (in fact I tend to think I'm rather clever) but sometimes I have to wonder how I've survived so long.

I'm at work, with my afternoon cup of mint tea (like I have every single weekday) and I noticed a spot near the bottom of my mug. So what do I do? I tip the cup away from me so I can see it better. My very fresh, very full cup of very hot tea. You see where this is going, don't you? Too bad I didn't...I poured tea all over my desk - my mouse and part of my keyboard are now very minty fresh, and unfortunately so is a pretty expensive programming book that doesn't belong to me.

What the heck, brain?!?! Seriously??

Oh well...at least I didn't have any honey or sugar in the tea so it's not all sticky!

Man - that just stinks when you do something like that. I think we have all done it some time or another

Glad you weren't burnt!
    I once had my laptop on the front passenger seat of the car. Parked and decided to go to the passenger side to take it out. Carefully put my keys in my purse, put my purse on top of the laptop on the seat and got out on the driver's side. Yep - locked the door and went around to the other side only to stop and think where my keys were. Had to go into the office to call my husband (who worked nearby) to come unlock the car. You usually only do dumb things once, but then think up a new one!

Blog Entries
    that's the pits. Year ago when I worked for EATON and we had mimeograph machines (remember them) I spilled a coke on the C of C papers at end of the month. they all stuck tog. From that day on, I've drank Diet sodas so if/when they spill, the sugar doesn't ruin everything. Boy am I showing my age or where we just behind the times in that office?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Yes. But I don't think I want to share my story again. It is on here - somewhere!

Suffice to say - Fray Check is not a good substitute for sewing machine oil.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Haha! Poor you!
    I do that at least once a week with the little cup of dried cat food as I head out the door to fill their dish on the porch. I've learned to walk carefully in the living room to avoid vacuum cleaner-missed sharp little pellets under my bare feet.....you'd think I could learn to stop pouring them out in the first place!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Why doesn't our brain stop us?
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I'm not going to tell you mine, but my mother once had a small fender bender and jumped out of the car and slammed the door. Car running, in the middle of the street. Fortunately, my father worked close by and came to her rescue.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    My rule to remember is to never put a cup of ice coffee on top of the car to free your hand to open the car door if the sun roof is open. What a mess!

I simmered chicken and vegetables for hours making home made broth. When it was time to stain it....yep, all the broth went down the drain. I still think about that wasted broth and it happened years ago.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Could you blame it on the earthquake?

Do I know how that feels??? I invented that !!!!

Thank y'all for the stories. Seriously, I have been thinking about talking to my doctor about a really thorough mental once over.

P

Ummm several years ago me and 2 older lady friends of mine went to a movie. We parked in a parking garage, got out, locked the car and went to see the movie. Came back to the car AFTER watching an entire movie to find we'd left the LOCKED car running the whole time. We had to call a tow-truck to come open the car for us...and live down the stupidity! Our only excuse was we were busy talking and the parking garage was loud enough you couldn't hear the engine...sigh...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I don't generally think of myself as being dumb (in fact I tend to think I'm rather clever) but sometimes I have to wonder how I've survived so long.

I'm at work, with my afternoon cup of mint tea (like I have every single weekday) and I noticed a spot near the bottom of my mug. So what do I do? I tip the cup away from me so I can see it better. My very fresh, very full cup of very hot tea. You see where this is going, don't you? Too bad I didn't...I poured tea all over my desk - my mouse and part of my keyboard are now very minty fresh, and unfortunately so is a pretty expensive programming book that doesn't belong to me.

What the heck, brain?!?! Seriously??

Oh well...at least I didn't have any honey or sugar in the tea so it's not all sticky!
    It's probably not nice of me to laugh but I am your story mirrors so many of my daily moves it's kind of sad...how I have lived this long without serious intervention from professionals is beyond me.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Been there, done that. Remember spilling a very large mug of ice cold tea in my lap while driving. Have you ever tried driving practically standing up? Not fun but there was no where to stop to change clothes or dry the seat. Still laugh at myself for that one.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Aftershocks. Blame it on the earthquake!

Quote Originally Posted by Billi View Post
    It's probably not nice of me to laugh but I am your story mirrors so many of my daily moves it's kind of sad...how I have lived this long without serious intervention from professionals is beyond me.
    Oh no, please do laugh. I posted it specifically for that purpose! I laugh at myself all the time, why should I have all the fun? I have SO many of these stories! I'm loving everybody else's stories too.

I like the idea of blaming it on the earthquakes, though!

My latest - Getting ready to run errands so emptying trash, loading up the car with a bag for Goodwill as well as my shopping bags for the grocery store and my Kindle so I could stop at Panera's for lunch and have something to read. It was a lot to carry in one trip so I evidently threw the Kindle into the Goodwill bag.

I realized what I had done within 15 minutes but no one at Goodwill could "possibly" locate it. I was probably the first one at Goodwill that day but all I got was a song and dance about how it would take "forever" to search all the bins. It was a Kindle Fire so I contacted Amazon and got it locked immediately so it won't do them any good.
    Pat

My great thought one day-the power was out so I decided to go downstairs to my sewing room to sew, not on a treadle that works without electricity. I sat down, took the lid off and couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning on...duh the power was out. And my dh was standing there looking at me like I was crazy.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I'm just surprised this thread isn't up to 50 pages yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I simmered chicken and vegetables for hours making home made broth. When it was time to stain it....yep, all the broth went down the drain. I still think about that wasted broth and it happened years ago.
    I've done this--I originally wanted spaghetti . I ended up having ice cream for dinner : )

At the time, those things are so frustrating, but, later we get to look back at them and laugh at ourselves. Let me tell you, I laugh a lot

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah! The story about leaving the car locked and running reminded me of the time I locked the car with the baby in the back seat! Luckily we lived next to some Navy guys who knew how to use a coat hanger. Never did that again!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

How about digging in your purse trying to find your keys, only to discover the keys are IN your hand, the same hand you're digging with! DUH!!!!!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast