Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ever Wonder About Your CRS syndrome, Quiltheimers...ADHD? >

Ever Wonder About Your CRS syndrome, Quiltheimers...ADHD?

Ever Wonder About Your CRS syndrome, Quiltheimers...ADHD?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't recall there being this much 50 years ago -

Was it not noticed? or is it more prevalent?

Could our diets and lifestyles make whatever might be genetically "wrong" with us worse?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shemjo
As a teacher who took early retirement because of anxiety and panic attacks, this has been very enlightening to me. I recognized lots of my students, family and even myself in several of the posts. Depression and bipolar symptoms abound! Medication, therapy and time and distance are great healers. Re-evaluation should be on-going and communication is necessary.
QC, this is a wonderful thread and God bless you for bringing it out in the open again. We need more voices like yours!
well bless your little ol' pea pickin heart! It's so easy, to talk...now that I'm over the angst of self-disclosure...easy to talk about a subject that is near and dear to my heart, bc I don't want anyone to suffer. Hip, hip, hooray...this is helping! aww, I'm all melty :wink:
Old 06-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Hey QC You are a good friend.
Pam, I just love you too!
I tried to be the best mom I knew how, and did pretty well.
Now I am a grandma, (nana)...and suspect that all four grands, have some add/anxiety...gearing up, to help all I can. They are all smart, sweet, beautiful children, and I love them to pieces.
I don't want any child or adult, to hurt and feel alone. There really are things that can help. hugs to start with. Big hug for you, Pam, mmmm! :D
Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I don't recall there being this much 50 years ago -

Was it not noticed? or is it more prevalent?

Could our diets and lifestyles make whatever might be genetically "wrong" with us worse?
I don't have any other info on this, but my own opinion or theory.
I say, I think it is more prevalent, probably not as much as we think, bc 50 years ago, nobody had heard of it...give or take some in medical field, but everyday ppl, you know....
our foods are covered in pesticides, and our animals are eating chemicals in THEIR food, too.
Several years back, some, I'll just say, 'foreign' guy, came to the states, and basically laughed in our faces, about how fat and lazy the american ppl are becoming. He also made a statement that hit the newspapers, about how, when we all get too out of shape, to defend our country...they'll be back :shock:
I hate to sound, gloom and doom, but this is happening.
Also, our pets that eat, 'ppl food'...they're not living as long either.
I think we all need to take a good look at not only medicine affects, but food too.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Years ago people with mental health issues were kept out of the public alot by family who were too embarrassed by the afflicted child. They were not then required to send kids to school and a lot if kids suffered not knowing what was wrong.
My husband born 1950 had a hard time in school and quit school in 8th grade. He is smart just couldn't do the work well and a lot of teachers passed these kids from class to class whether they could do the work or not. We now have stricter guide lines and gov. required education.
So a lot of these kids just slipped through the cracks and you didn't hear about them because we didn't have the media we have now.
My husband can solve problems but he needs to hear it to understand things. When he got his drivers license they read it to him and he passed it! He is a whiz at solving problems in cars or around the house etc. Jack of all trades. But he has a hard time reading. And reading is what school is all about!!
When I was in school in the 70's people with dyslexia were not recognized. They just were told they were not trying hard enough or they were told they were stupid!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Amen to the foods we eat! And what we feed our furry companions. Have long held the belief that they were/are to blame for a lot of our health concerns. I juice carrots, but what chemicals they have in them from the fields in which they were grown is difficult to control. Even organic has so many different definitions that it becomes funny. Unless you KNOW the grower of all your food, you don't know. And what about acid rain? That has been a concern for years! :?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

One of the smartest men I know is functionally illiterate.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Amen to the foods we eat! And what we feed our furry companions. Have long held the belief that they were/are to blame for a lot of our health concerns. I juice carrots, but what chemicals they have in them from the fields in which they were grown is difficult to control. Even organic has so many different definitions that it becomes funny. Unless you KNOW the grower of all your food, you don't know. And what about acid rain? That has been a concern for years! :?
this is why I grow my own veggies and raise as much of our own meat I can! I'm lucky to live somewhere really rural and mostly cow farmers so not a lot of spraying goes on! I think like Rhonda said - in the past this was hidden away and kids who had it were just seen as 'naughty' or 'stupid' but also pollution and chemicals must have a bearing. Whatever, thank God ppl are becoming more enlightened!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM

QC and Rhonda and everyone else who has contributed to this thread - THANK YOU!!!

I have 2 autistic grandsons who are also ADHD. One of them is also OCD. They couldn't function without meds. A lot of people are very judgemental when they see the boys in public, because of their 'different' behavior. Fortunately, my DIL lets them know pretty quickly that it's THEIR problem, not the boys'. She does a lot of education about autism in grocery stores etc that people don't know they're going to get when they say or do unkind things. She doesn't just 'take it' - she let's them have it right between the eyes, and she usually winds up getting applause from other store patrons. Why do people have to be so unkind? Far too many adults seem to think that it's just a matter of correcting behavior with the 'right discipline.'

Mousie, my heart weeps for all the arrows your heart took until you found out about ADHD and finally got the right meds. Thank goodness you found them. We're blessed that our grandsons have the meds, although it's not a magic wand for their other problems. It IS one less thing to worry about in their lives.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
QC and Rhonda and everyone else who has contributed to this thread - THANK YOU!!!

I have 2 autistic grandsons who are also ADHD. One of them is also OCD. They couldn't function without meds. A lot of people are very judgemental when they see the boys in public, because of their 'different' behavior. Fortunately, my DIL lets them know pretty quickly that it's THEIR problem, not the boys'. She does a lot of education about autism in grocery stores etc that people don't know they're going to get when they say or do unkind things. She doesn't just 'take it' - she let's them have it right between the eyes, and she usually winds up getting applause from other store patrons. Why do people have to be so unkind? Far too many adults seem to think that it's just a matter of correcting behavior with the 'right discipline.'

Mousie, my heart weeps for all the arrows your heart took until you found out about ADHD and finally got the right meds. Thank goodness you found them. We're blessed that our grandsons have the meds, although it's not a magic wand for their other problems. It IS one less thing to worry about in their lives.
Joanne that is so kind of you to say. I know that taking/giving medication is a choice, but choices always come with rewards or consequences.
I hope that ppl become educated to these conditions so those that can really benefit from medications are not denied.
I've been here for almost a year and a half now, and I think most can see that I am not strange/weird or foaming at the mouth. :shock:
I do, however, have a tendencey to drool quite heavily over a lot of quilt pictures :wink: