Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Expressing love, the DH way >

Expressing love, the DH way

Expressing love, the DH way

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

I'm 60 ( 61 next month) and my DH is 58. We've been married 37 years. We go to sleep at night holding hands after saying, "Good night, I love you". I sometimes leave little notes on the kitchen table and when I get up, he has written something at the bottom. He tells me how beautiful I am and how glad he is that I'm his wife. I can't imagine my life without him.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Your DH sounds like a peach. My son is an IT guy, I can totally see him doing what your husband does, it's the nature of the beast.

My DH and I have been married for 36 years. We're very different, I kid people about it saying that the fact we're both still alive is a testimony to our restraint over the years. But the fact is, we love, and like, each other even though we don't shower I love yous, or gifts, or cards, or whatever on each other.

I read an article once about how to tell if your partner really loves you. It stated it's the considerate things your partner does. Do they put your needs above their own. When they go get a cup of coffee, do they ask if you want one too. Do they offer to go get dinner if you're too tired to cook. Do they call you when they're out to see if they can pick up anything for you on their way home. Do they ask you if you need anything before they leave the house. If you need them, do they set aside their plans to be there for you. That pretty much describes my relationship with my DH, it's not what we say, or how we say it, it's what we do.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:21 PM

My DH and I both worked in IT. By the end of the day, I didn't want to even look at a computer, so neither of us got 'into' sending 'gifts' via email on a regular basis.

But there is no doubt in my mind that he loves me. It's in the way he is toward me and with me. As for me, I am crazy about him...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

You are all so very lucky.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

I have a wonderful hubby too. I know he loves me and shows me and my daughters and grandson every day. He does so much for us. He is gentle, kind, funny and creative...he is a painter, so he understands what my crafts mean to me. . I am lucky that we share so many similar interests... music, reading, weekend trips, country drives, antique stops, thrift store, yard sales. In 30 years together he has never said one negative thing to me. I wish everyone could have the type of partner I have. I also tell him and my family every day I love them, and he knows I really do appreciate him.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

These little testimonials make me smile and tear up. I was divorced after 17 years of marriage and can honestly say I was never shown or seldom told for that matter I love you. I have now been divorced 18 years and have never even dated much. I'm not ugly or a harpy. I sometimes do long for a husband or companion like you all talk about. You are lucky women. I am glad to know there are couples that truly love each other. That does make me happy!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 AM

We text. (I travel for work).

he also brings me the second cup of coffee, takes out the trash, share a "be careful" when heading out the door. Takes care of my dog. (not his fav dog but he tolerates my dog!)
sandy
Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 AM

My husband of 52 years if the same way. He does not express any emotion ever. He has allowed me to see him cry twice in our life time. But like I told my daughter years ago when she was in High school, love is not wine and roses or special dinners and candlelight, it is the day to day things. Coming home after work, putting the pay check in the bank, and just knowing when you need a special little pinch. yes I said pinch, not a hug. Still he is the reason, I get up every morning. OH and before I forget, I can go to Joann's anytime I want!!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM

My DH could not remember a birthday, an anniversary or any other special day; but he would come home from work and dance me away from the stove and if I so much as mentioned something I would like to have, it was mine within a short time. I finally learned not to say "I'd like to have" anything unless it was something I really wanted. He was just a wonderful and loving man
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
My husband of 52 years if the same way. He does not express any emotion ever. He has allowed me to see him cry twice in our life time. But like I told my daughter years ago when she was in High school, love is not wine and roses or special dinners and candlelight, it is the day to day things. Coming home after work, putting the pay check in the bank, and just knowing when you need a special little pinch. yes I said pinch, not a hug. Still he is the reason, I get up every morning. OH and before I forget, I can go to Joann's anytime I want!!
This sounds so much like my DH!!