Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Expressing love, the DH way >

Expressing love, the DH way

Expressing love, the DH way

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM

My DH and I were married for 56 years the third of this month. He always tells me he loves me every day and the last thing before we fall asleep, always before either one of us walks out the door. He shows me in so many ways but most important he is always there for me to support me in everything I do. We were both 18 years old when we married and everyone told us we were to young that it would not last. They just did not understand how very much we love each other.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM

After 40 years together, my DH still tells me he loves me every day & at night when he goes to bed. Opens the car door & holds my hand when walking down the street. He tells me I'm beautiful even after working in the yard or wood pile all day & I know I look a mess. Kisses me several times a day & when I am not in a good mood, will still give me a kiss & hug & tell me he loves me. Always asks if I want to go to the fabric shop whenever we are in town. Yep, I'll keep him another 40 years God willing.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I love DH more then life but I don't need him to constantly assure or flatter me. That would get on my nerves. I know many of my friends expect their DHs to do this though.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Reading these beautiful posts put tears in my eyes I am still missing my dh he was so like many of your husbands when I became to sick to truck with him he would call me once or twice a day just to see how I was and to tell me he loved me, I tried not to call him as I never knew if he was sleeping or not but the few times I called and woke him up he was always cheerful kind and loving and would talk for at least a half hour. He surprised me with many gifts when he came home. Oh how I miss that man.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 PM

My husband goes to work in the morning because he has to, he comes home in the evening because he wants to. He says he does that because of me, and has made our lives such that I have been able to be a SAHM, and then stay at home wife.
It's got to be love. Been married almost 32 years, and we both agree we have two options. Stay married to each other or die.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I love DH more then life but I don't need him to constantly assure or flatter me. That would get on my nerves. I know many of my friends expect their DHs to do this though.
Ditto, yesterday we celebrated 48 years on a wonderful marriage. Not all of it a bed of roses, but my DH is the most wonderful guy ever. He is retired, I am not, he is my house keeper, my friend, and lover. He almost always opens doors for me and when I leave for work, tells me to have a good day and to have fun. He goes to quilt shows with me and is my biggest enabler. I love this guy dearly, the I love you's are not often, but when he does say I love you, I know he really means it from the bottom of his heart. He is the greatest.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I don't always get the words but my husband shows his love with the things he does. I look at some of the modern men saying "I love you" all over the place but treat their significant other like crap. My husband went to work every day to provide for his family. It wasn't a "career" but a day in, day out grind. Now that's love.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Your DH sounds like a peach. My son is an IT guy, I can totally see him doing what your husband does, it's the nature of the beast.

My DH and I have been married for 36 years. We're very different, I kid people about it saying that the fact we're both still alive is a testimony to our restraint over the years. But the fact is, we love, and like, each other even though we don't shower I love yous, or gifts, or cards, or whatever on each other.

I read an article once about how to tell if your partner really loves you. It stated it's the considerate things your partner does. Do they put your needs above their own. When they go get a cup of coffee, do they ask if you want one too. Do they offer to go get dinner if you're too tired to cook. Do they call you when they're out to see if they can pick up anything for you on their way home. Do they ask you if you need anything before they leave the house. If you need them, do they set aside their plans to be there for you. That pretty much describes my relationship with my DH, it's not what we say, or how we say it, it's what we do.
I wish someone would have told me that about 1972. I met my ex in 1971 and married in 1974. It lasted 22 miserable years. I am now married to a wonderful, kind, caring man. We've been together since 1998 and married in 2005. He waits on me hand and foot, pampers me, we take turns fixing dinner and cleaning up. I have a lot of health issues, have had two knee replacements, he's always concerned about whether an activity we do will be okay for me. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me. My first husband...our grown daughters are going through issues and he's still undermining me with them like he was when we were married.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Today my mom and dad are celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary. Mom was 15 and dad was 17 when they got married. She's 79 now and dad will be 82 in November. I just called to wish them a Happy Anniversary. Mom said, "thank you I'll have to call you back later. Dad has picked the muscadines and we are canning the juice so I can make jelly later." Yes, they are still active. haha
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

My DH holds his hand up when I say good morning. Gee, thanks for not speaking to me But he does say thank you every night when I cook dinner for him. And he tells me he loves me.