facial cream

Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM

I use olive oil and vit. e oil. My skin is so dry i crack all over. Would like to try you recipe. Where do you get "real" vit. e cream. Maybe I could use my Vit e oil???
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Sounds more affordable................
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM

I have made it many times for friends going through chemo; it really soothes their skin!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Sounds worth a try - love doing this sort of home remedy stuff....
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Getting the ingredients tomorrow!!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 AM

I have made this recipe for a few years already, it also makes great gifts for nursing home residents as Christmas gifts, or charity donations. Try to buy all of the products from the dollar store, great savings.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM

I use Rosemary Gladstar's recipe. It includes aloe, distilled water, beeswax, almond oil, coconut oil, lanolin. I infuse the almost oil with Calendula flowers too to add to the benefit to the skin. I refuse to use vaseline, it's a byproduct of crude oil and the thought of that on my skin gives me the heebee geebees! Rosemary's recipe is called "perfect lotion" and is available on-line, or in her books. It is so rich feeling, like rubbing silk or velvet, and though it initially seems oily, it is absorbed in a few seconds. The lotion is heavenly, IMHO
Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Suz

I don't want to be a wet blanket either. However, I spoke with my son, a chiropractor, who cares for the entire body about the use of Vaseline. He said it would be absorbed thru the skin, therefore it would be just like eating it. Sorry, much as I would like to save the cash, no vaseline for me.

Another item we MUST watch for in our body products is PARABENS. They are listed as polyparabens, metholparabens and just plain parabens. I have had to pitch out a lot of hand, body, shampoos, sunlotions which contain one or all three. You may also note that some of the newer replacement products are now reading 'paraben free'.

Does anyone have a replacement item for the vaseline? Reference to the Rosemary Gladster item, is it a homemade product also or must one purchase it already prepared?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM

OK, here is Rosemary Gladstar's recipe. I have made this wonderful, luscious cream several times. Each time, I am more in love. I infuse calendula flowers in almond oil for about six or eight weeks before I make the lotion. I strain the flowers from the oil (then compost them), squeezing to make sure I get all my oil out. Then, I melt the waxes/oils and leave sitting in the blender overnight with the waters sitting in a measuring cup next to them. To get them to mix and stay mixed, they must MUST must be at the same temp. First time I made this was not a great success. From then on, doing it overnight this way, nothing but wonderful success!

Rosemary's Perfect Cream

This recipe was published in Herbs for Health magazine and is an excellent all-purpose skin cream created by revered herbalist Rosemary Gladstar.

Ingredients

WATERS

2/3 cup distilled water--OR distilled rosewater or
-- orange flower water)
1/3 cup aloe vera gel
1 - 2 drops essential oil of choice
Vitamins A and E as desired

OILS

3/4 cup apricot, almond or grape seed oil
1/3 cup coconut oil or cocoa butter
1/4 tsp lanolin
1/2 - 1 oz grated beeswax

Directions

1. Combine distilled water, aloe vera gel, essential oil and vitamins in a glass measuring cup. (Tap water can be used but it will sometimes introduce bacteria and encourage the growth of mold.) Set aside.

2. In a double boiler over low heat, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just enough to melt.

3. Pour oils into a blender and let cool to room temperature. The mixture should become thick, creamy, semisolid and cream coloured. This cooling process can be hastened in the refrigerator, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hard.

4. When cooled, turn blender on the highest speed. In a slow, thin drizzle pour the water mixture into the center vortex.

5. When most of the water mixture has been added to the oils, listen to the blender and watch the cream. When the blender coughs and chokes, and the cream looks thick and white like butter cream frosting, turn off the blender. You can slowly add more water, beating it in by hand with a spoon, but don't over beat! The cream will thicken as it sets.

6. Pour into into cream or lotion jars. Store in a cool place.

The above is the basic recipe but you can get more detailed information about making this cream and ingredient properties in Rosemary's handy book "Herbs for Natural Beauty". This inexpensive book is a must have for anyone interested in making their own cosmetics.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Suz

Thanks. I will assemble the ingredients and make some. It sounds easy enough. I hope many of you heed the warning about ingesting the petroleum oil.

Again, Thank You.