facial cream

Old 12-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Finally got around to making this.... Feels really nice, although a bit greasy even though I only used one 4oz thingy of vaseline. DH loves it too, but not the baby lotio scent of it.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM

I to make my own cream. As a RN our hands were really sore and dry. I use equal parts of vasolene, baby lotion and Vit E. All bought at the local DG and the cheapest they have...usually their own brand. I give out to my quilting buddies at Christmas. What to put it in is the question. I have been using 1/2 pint jelly jars but would really like to find a place to order plastic jars with lids....Has anyone found where I could get them or do you use something else? Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Thanks. I will get to the ingredients soon and give it a try. Have you all tried the home-made laundry soap? Just made my second batch and is soooo cheap and works well. There is plenty to share.
this is an old post just seen it sorry. just wanted to ask how you make your laundry soap. thanks in advance . try to go green here i also use shampoo bars no more store bought shampoo for me. thanks
Old 02-04-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
I to make my own cream. As a RN our hands were really sore and dry. I use equal parts of vasolene, baby lotion and Vit E. All bought at the local DG and the cheapest they have...usually their own brand. I give out to my quilting buddies at Christmas. What to put it in is the question. I have been using 1/2 pint jelly jars but would really like to find a place to order plastic jars with lids....Has anyone found where I could get them or do you use something else? Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas!
Ace Hardware Store sells reuseable plastic screw on lids. I think the package has 8 lids and comes in either regular or wide mouth sizes.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:25 PM

All this time I thought vaseline clogged pores, guess not. The hairball remedy given to cats has a vaseline base so I wonder if there are different grades.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 PM

As this is an old post, but dry skin happens all the time, I thought I would post.

I have dry skin in my shins in the winter. I tried a variety of lotions and creams but none really helped. Then I tried pure Shea Butter, that I had bought for my heels. It is lovely, absorbs in nicely and putting it on twice a day is working. I use it on my cuticles when I go to bed and it is helping there too.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I don't want to be a wet blanket either. However, I spoke with my son, a chiropractor, who cares for the entire body about the use of Vaseline. He said it would be absorbed thru the skin, therefore it would be just like eating it. Sorry, much as I would like to save the cash, no vaseline for me.

Another item we MUST watch for in our body products is PARABENS. They are listed as polyparabens, metholparabens and just plain parabens. I have had to pitch out a lot of hand, body, shampoos, sunlotions which contain one or all three. You may also note that some of the newer replacement products are now reading 'paraben free'.

Does anyone have a replacement item for the vaseline? Reference to the Rosemary Gladster item, is it a homemade product also or must one purchase it already prepared?
I, too, question the use of Vaseline. Esp on the face. Years ago I quit using hair products that had Sulfates in them . They strip out the color! They are easy to find these days but back then...not so much. Purology shamppos and conditioners are great. Pricey but concentrated so a bottle lasts firever!

I will stick to my personsl skin care favs. But the conversation is interesting.

Sandy
Old 02-05-2018, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hamchips88 View Post
this is an old post just seen it sorry. just wanted to ask how you make your laundry soap. thanks in advance . try to go green here i also use shampoo bars no more store bought shampoo for me. thanks
My recipe is for every bar of Zote laundry soap one and a half cups of borax and one and a half cups of baking soda. Not baking powder. available usually near the borax. I put the zote through the shred in the food processor then take the shred blade out and put the blade on the bottom and whirr up the shreds into pellets and then add the other ingredients and whirr it all up til it looks like powdered detergent. Sometimes I have to do it in batches to fit. Store in covered container and use about 1-2 tbsp per load. No suds. Can use in HE machines.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:49 PM

All the recipes I've heard of are specific about WASHING soda not baking and also borax.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
All the recipes I've heard of are specific about WASHING soda not baking and also borax.
oh gosh you are absolutely correct! I must have zoned out. Arm and hammer washing soda. Thanks for catching that!!!