Fall Foliage Vacation???

Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM

Near the White Mountains in NH we had minimal hurricane damage as far as leaves goes. Some of hte roads, not so much. The Kancamagus highway and some roads further North were damaged but hopefully will be in operation by fall. This area usually books fast for Columbus Day weekend though. Foliage varies, central NH probably Oct 1 - ish. Each day is a gift, grab it by the coattails and go!!
https://www.facebook.com/VisitNH?v=wall&ref=ts

piney
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM

It's been a tough year weather wise for the entire country. Here in Oklahoma it was so dry earlier in the summer, record number of days in triple digits for us also, that most of the trees dropped their leaves early. Luckily, we've had a lot of rain lately so the landscape has greened up considerably. However, you might call and ask about the foliage in the states you plan to visit, see if the trees have dropped most of their leaves already. Or just ask the ladies and gentlemen on this site what it looks like in their area. Hope you have a great time if you decide to go.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 AM

we, too, have a trip planned, first week of Oct. Flying into Bos. and driving around a few of the states for 5 days.
Any info would be appreciated.
Coming from Fl. and do miss fall season
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM

Here in NH you will not only have the foliage but also the FAIRS. Depending on when you come(check online) you have Sandwich,NH,Fryeburg(ME) and others. Remember...you only have the promise of today, NH has no sales tax..only rooms and meals ) and of course some great lqs...if you have the time and the $'s I encourage you to take the time to build memories with each other. Best wishes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Lyn

One thing about New Englanders, they assess what they have to do and then do it. If there was any damage it will be fixed before you get up here and I would not miss the color for anything. You will be so happy you did. My cousin lives in Corpus and she tried to explain to her friends the colors of New England but they did not believe her.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

As for your fall foliage travels, I mentioned the same exact thing to my DH when I was watching the news on VT, ME, etc...many of those antique towns are wiped out...and the fall foliage brought tourists and was their only revenue for many of them...it is really sad..so much history lost that can never be rebuilt. I too would try to map out a route and then start contacting AAA, AARP travel, and the chamber of commerce for those towns you want to visit and see what info you can find. Of course you know from TX up through MO things are already turning due to the extreme heat we have had!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Also if you want to check online about the Mt. Washington Valley region there is a freebie newspaper....but must be check daily. www.mountwashingtonvalley.com and link onto The Conway Daily Sun. Today's issue cites damages and how long they may take to repair. Some northcounty roads and bridges are washed out.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 AM

It's been a while since I was up there but I Know that in WV you aren't going to see the beautiful foliage until later on in Oct or Nov; it depends on the weather as to when they turn. If that's one of the main reasons to go you should check and see how it's going first. I love going back home in the fall before any chance of snow and seeing all of the pretty trees. Mother nature at it's best. If you wait for a different year you could get the same results; storms of different types happens all of the time. If you have the time and money I'd always say just do it.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM

I would go for that trip, check your route ahead of time and enjoy the cool weather....everyone in Texas deserves this break. We lost 800 acres of our ranch to wildfires.. just south of Sweetwater Texas, not far from you. Everyone we have talk to has said, well with a good rain, it will all come back. Not...we lost oak trees that were over a hundred years old, and we found that the roots of the grass in a large section of the ranch were burned and will not come back. Our cattle were spared, thank God. But other ranchers lost all of their livestock. Guess where we will be Labor Day....still cleaning up from the fire. Wish we were planning a fall trip, if nothing, to see water and beautiful foliage...that would be refreshing.
D in TX
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM

You don't need to go quite as far as the coast for beautiful fall scenery. Every year my husband and I go to the Smokey Mountains near Gatlinburg, Tenn. and I think it's almost as georgeous as Virginia. The only problem might be the lack of rain in some areas of these states earlier in the season. There wasn't much rain in the latter part of the summer, so the fall colors may not be as rich.