Fall Foliage Vacation???

Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Come! All of New England is beautiful in the fall! In central MA we have lovely foliage that usually peaks around Columbus Day. There are several WONDERFUL quilt shops, too! Let me know if you are coming and I will send you the shop names.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
I would go for that trip, check your route ahead of time and enjoy the cool weather....everyone in Texas deserves this break. We lost 800 acres of our ranch to wildfires.. just south of Sweetwater Texas, not far from you. Everyone we have talk to has said, well with a good rain, it will all come back. Not...we lost oak trees that were over a hundred years old, and we found that the roots of the grass in a large section of the ranch were burned and will not come back. Our cattle were spared, thank God. But other ranchers lost all of their livestock. Guess where we will be Labor Day....still cleaning up from the fire. Wish we were planning a fall trip, if nothing, to see water and beautiful foliage...that would be refreshing.
D in TX
Diana, so sorry you suffered so much from the wild fires. We haven't suffered personally, but for so long during that windy season, just about daily it wasn't if we would see or smell smoke...it was just where was it coming from.
I have seen the results of some of the worst just north of San Angelo and it is just horrible, as I am sure yours was too. Wish I could just take you with me, and give you a break from the mess. I know we will see lots of wonderful sights along the way.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM

I live in MA and in my area we didn't have the extensive damage, just high winds and heavy rain. Up in Vermont things are different. Major flooding and damage to some parts. Some of the covered bridges just tumbled into the flood waters. Keep checking with the Vermont chamber of commerce as to how things are going up there. Maybe by the time you arrive in New England the roads etc in VT will be repaired.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
mim

here are some pix taken at my summer place in Cushing last fall

I love the combination of blue water with the gold and red trees

Mim

reflections on Hyler cove
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249186[/ATTACH]

across th cove
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249187[/ATTACH]

sunrise in front of the cottage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249188[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249180.jpe   attachment-249181.jpe   attachment-249182.jpe  
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Here are some Chambers of Commerce in Northern/Central NH:
http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/
http://www.ossipeevalley.org/
http://www.wolfeborochamber.com/

Pretty foliage. This is my back yard from a few years ago.

Oct 17, 2008
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249245[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249239.jpe  
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I think the newsman said last night that we The USA has had 11 disasters this yr with cleanup/recovery of millions of dollors eachor heaven forbid; did he say billions?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM
mim

I hope the attachment works -- it is the Maine foliage website. They will begin posting in mid september what the schedule for best viewing is. The color moves south at about 20 miles a day after it starts in Canada. A lot of places in the world have beautiful foliage but the bright reds depend on certain trees. Mostly maples here in eastern US.

Boston and eastern Mass with all it's colonial history is a great place to spend a few days -- and the public transport (the subway/trolley and bus systems make it easy to get around -- even from the airport if you don't want to rent a car for the first couple days. Then wandering up the coast thru Cape Ann to NH or down to Cape cod is beautiful, too.

Probably not much foliage color except a few trees that are stressed and turn early.

Originally Posted by nunnyJo
we, too, have a trip planned, first week of Oct. Flying into Bos. and driving around a few of the states for 5 days.
Any info would be appreciated.
Coming from Fl. and do miss fall season
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
mim

the attachment worked!!!! great !!! Mim
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Mim and pinecone - your pics are just gorgeous. I doubt you are going to North Carolina, Jaynie, but our Tourism Council says that not every area of the Carolina coast was that badly affected. They advocate travelling but check the area you are going to first; for instance the Chamber of Commerce. They will probably need all those tourism $$$ for recovery in most of the NE states.Enjoy tour trip and time together.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM

thank you all for the great info. Fall colors take my breath away and prove to me that there is a God.
This is the greatest place for info and among friends. Joanna