Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Fall Foliage Vacation???

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jaynie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Colorado City, Texas
    Posts
    685
    First may I say my heart & prayers go out to anyone effected by "Irene". I have been glued to the news reports and some of the videos they show just break my heart.
    Hubby and I have planned for about five years to tour the New England states to see the fall foliage. Was planning to leave Texas toward the end of Sept. Now we are wondering if that is such a good idea. There are so many places we want to visit that are near or along the coastline and now the flooding , the power outages and recovery efforts...should we rethink this and maybe try another year? I just don't know. We certainly don't want to go and then be in the way because they are still recovering. (we will travel with our 5th wheel camper)
    Certainly has been an eventful year for us. My husband retired Nov. 2010 and we had a winter with record low temps for a record number of days in a row..very unusual. Then in February the winds started and didn't stop until late early Aug. The winds combined with the horrible drought has caused an extrordinarily high number of wild fires. These fires fueled by the winds have been devestating to almost every county in TExas (our small community suffered the loss of 13 homes) Now we are experiencing a record number of triple digit heat days. I think we are at 78 days now. We froze, blew away, fried and dried up. (many lakes are literally drying up)
    I think my husband should go back to work...LOL!!!

  2. #2
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    I will admit, this has been one disastrous year.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kountrykreation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My Toy Room in Texas
    Posts
    387
    Well, if your husband retiring is why we are in this terrible drought, I vote he goes back to work too! haha, just kidding. Research the areas you are planning to visit, maybe the recovery efforts will be concluded prior to your travel dates.

    They're predicting 50-60% chance of rain starting this Thursday, thru the weekend (Houston area), so tell your husband to hold off on going back to work. Things may be changing (at least I really hope they are!)

  4. #4
    LindaBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    211
    I live in an area of Vermont not effected too much. If you come, stay to the northern areas, Burlington and up as the south is going to be difficult to navigate for some time. Some towns have so many roads washed out, its hard for the local people to even get around. If you could wait until next year, that may be a good plan. On YouTube if you search from 'Vermont flooding' you'll see a lot of tragic stuff. I know of two covered bridges that were washed away or severely damaged. Houses swept right off their foundations and washed down the river. Towns with the main streets turned into rivers and road beds destroyed. Cellars full of water, trees down, electricity out...truly devastating in central and southern counties mostly. I'd check with this department before I came. It's a bit early to really know the extend and the duration of the issues. http://www.vermontvacation.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jaynie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Colorado City, Texas
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by kountrykreation
    Well, if your husband retiring is why we are in this terrible drought, I vote he goes back to work too! haha, just kidding. Research the areas you are planning to visit, maybe the recovery efforts will be concluded prior to your travel dates.

    They're predicting 50-60% chance of rain starting this Thursday, thru the weekend (Houston area), so tell your husband to hold off on going back to work. Things may be changing (at least I really hope they are!)
    We are in the west Texas area along IS20 about 80 west of Abilene. Only a 10% chance of light scattered showers around here. And I don't think I could get hubby to go back to work if I tried...hahaha. Kinda enjoy being able to just hit the road whenever we want now. Hope you have a good rain in your area.

  6. #6
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,682
    Sounds like a beautiful trip. I would choose to wait another year because of Irene. I live in a hilly area and we have some breath taking views. Some years the colors are more vivid then others.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jaynie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Colorado City, Texas
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaBN
    I live in an area of Vermont not effected too much. If you come, stay to the northern areas, Burlington and up as the south is going to be difficult to navigate for some time. Some towns have so many roads washed out, its hard for the local people to even get around. If you could wait until next year, that may be a good plan. On YouTube if you search from 'Vermont flooding' you'll see a lot of tragic stuff. I know of two covered bridges that were washed away or severely damaged. Houses swept right off their foundations and washed down the river. Towns with the main streets turned into rivers and road beds destroyed. Cellars full of water, trees down, electricity out...truly devastating in central and southern counties mostly. I'd check with this department before I came. It's a bit early to really know the extend and the duration of the issues. http://www.vermontvacation.com/
    Oh Linda, so glad you were not effected. I have watched the news reports almost nonstop and it just makes my heart ache when I see some of that devastation. The covered bridge going down that has been there since the 1800's and the homes destroyed....just so sad. Thnx so much for information and I will keep all those effected in my prayers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member flowerjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rural Kansas
    Posts
    640
    I would go now... hurricanes happen every year... I would bet there are still plenty of trees to see... and if your health is good take advantage of this time together and make some memories... you never know what great life stories you will come home with... if you wait until everything is "just right" you may never go.

  9. #9
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    It was so sad to see the old covered bridges that were washed away up north.........I hope you decide to go.

  10. #10
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,030
    I think everything will be pretty well fixed by the time you get here, which should be late Sept - early Oct. Make sure you have someplace to stay, the hotels fill up early, not sure about campgrounds.

  11. #11
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,736
    If you decide to forego New England but still want to do fall foliange this year... give Michigan a try. Fall foliage to die for, 3 great lakes, hills, lots of smaller lakes, sand dunes, Macinac Island, lighthouses along it's thousands of miles of coastline ...

    One of my favorite all time ever bill-boards is in Michigan. Has a picture of Fall leaves and the caption reads "Green is sooo last season".

  12. #12
    Super Member JenniePenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,532
    Come on up to New Hampshire. It will be worth it. We'll be all cleaned up and ready for visitors! Make your reservations early.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    374
    You should go. Who knows what will come up next year. There are many greAt sights in New England and you will get your fill. Right now folks are still reeling from what has happened. Lots of repairs will be made in a month and people's spirits will rebound where possible.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    696
    I would go this year. Heed LindaBN's advice and head for northern Vermont. My DD2 lives north of Essex Junction and they are fine. That area is the prettiest anyway I think. There is Lake Champlain, Stowe, Mt. Mansfield and the Northeast Kingdom. Beautiful villages, mountains and lots of color. You can keep a watch on the progress of the fall foliage on the web (can't remember the site.) Some years the color comes early or late, but in the north usually around Oct. 1. That's when we have always gone. Be aware that you can also get snow in early October.

    ETA: And I think Vermont needs all the tourist business they can get this year. This will really hurt their economy.

  15. #15
    mim
    mim is offline
    Super Member mim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    maine/washington
    Posts
    1,402
    come to see Maine -- the coast has both beautiful red and yellow folliage trees in the mountains and the ocean is deep blue. No hurricaine damage here on the coast -- The winds were less than most no-name storms.

    I think that almost everywhere you will not be able to see much damage. The covered bridges are a real loss as there are so few and the craftman to restore and replace them have mostly died off.

    I think September and October are the best times of the year

    Mim

  16. #16
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,899
    Blog Entries
    1
    Amen to this. Take the trip.

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerjoy
    I would go now... hurricanes happen every year... I would bet there are still plenty of trees to see... and if your health is good take advantage of this time together and make some memories... you never know what great life stories you will come home with... if you wait until everything is "just right" you may never go.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jaynie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Colorado City, Texas
    Posts
    685
    Oh my, I had just about decided to ask hubby about an alternate plan, when I came back to see if anyone else had posted a comment...WOW. I think "Flowerjoy" said it best..thank you for reminding me to take advantage of our time together while we can. I think we will just go and "Mim" I was really wanting to go on up in Maine anyway. Thank you all, you have renewed my excitement. Now I can't wait to continue planning. I think we will probably get to see just about everything we had hoped to.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

  18. #18
    LindaBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb44
    I would go this year. Heed LindaBN's advice and head for northern Vermont. My DD2 lives north of Essex Junction and they are fine. That area is the prettiest anyway I think. There is Lake Champlain, Stowe, Mt. Mansfield and the Northeast Kingdom. Beautiful villages, mountains and lots of color. You can keep a watch on the progress of the fall foliage on the web (can't remember the site.) Some years the color comes early or late, but in the north usually around Oct. 1. That's when we have always gone. Be aware that you can also get snow in early October.

    ETA: And I think Vermont needs all the tourist business they can get this year. This will really hurt their economy.
    Agree!! Try Lone Pine Campsite in Colchester, VT http://www.lonepinecampsites.com/ -

  19. #19
    Senior Member lindy-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    815
    you could come to Canada its only a bit farther and we have some great fall colour and then you can travel to another country on your trip.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Jaynie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Colorado City, Texas
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by lindy-2
    you could come to Canada its only a bit farther and we have some great fall colour and then you can travel to another country on your trip.
    Oh that would be nice too...but we don't have our passports yet. REally need to do that because we have talked about a trip to Canada in our future. Thnx

  21. #21
    Senior Member pinecone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    811
    Near the White Mountains in NH we had minimal hurricane damage as far as leaves goes. Some of hte roads, not so much. The Kancamagus highway and some roads further North were damaged but hopefully will be in operation by fall. This area usually books fast for Columbus Day weekend though. Foliage varies, central NH probably Oct 1 - ish. Each day is a gift, grab it by the coattails and go!!
    https://www.facebook.com/VisitNH?v=wall&ref=ts

    piney

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Muskogee Oklahoma
    Posts
    263
    It's been a tough year weather wise for the entire country. Here in Oklahoma it was so dry earlier in the summer, record number of days in triple digits for us also, that most of the trees dropped their leaves early. Luckily, we've had a lot of rain lately so the landscape has greened up considerably. However, you might call and ask about the foliage in the states you plan to visit, see if the trees have dropped most of their leaves already. Or just ask the ladies and gentlemen on this site what it looks like in their area. Hope you have a great time if you decide to go.

  23. #23
    Super Member nunnyJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fl./ WV
    Posts
    4,542
    Blog Entries
    1
    we, too, have a trip planned, first week of Oct. Flying into Bos. and driving around a few of the states for 5 days.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Coming from Fl. and do miss fall season

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In Plain Sight
    Posts
    307
    Here in NH you will not only have the foliage but also the FAIRS. Depending on when you come(check online) you have Sandwich,NH,Fryeburg(ME) and others. Remember...you only have the promise of today, NH has no sales tax..only rooms and meals ) and of course some great lqs...if you have the time and the $'s I encourage you to take the time to build memories with each other. Best wishes

  25. #25
    Lyn
    Lyn is offline
    Senior Member Lyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    344
    One thing about New Englanders, they assess what they have to do and then do it. If there was any damage it will be fixed before you get up here and I would not miss the color for anything. You will be so happy you did. My cousin lives in Corpus and she tried to explain to her friends the colors of New England but they did not believe her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.