Fall Foliage Vacation???

Old 08-30-2011, 04:35 PM

I hope there can be a colorful fall in New England this yr. I've found more info online than on TV about Irene in VT. I'm just sick about it up there, my first hubs is buried in VT, I was married in VT, my inlaws/relatives live there.

In looking for info on Irene I found that much of upper VT had floods so bad this spring they were still cleaning up in June! Snow melt, and many heavy rains made rivers/lakes overflow terribly. They were already getting disaster relief and having inspectors for flood damage when Irene hit. Now, its just unbelievable. And, there are still systems coming across the Atlantic. I hope they all blow away. sharet
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Hi Jaynie...I too, think you should go!
NOw, in a totally unrelated "turn of events"...can you give us a closer shot of your avatar? It is absolutely beautiful!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaynie
First may I say my heart & prayers go out to anyone effected by "Irene". I have been glued to the news reports and some of the videos they show just break my heart.
Hubby and I have planned for about five years to tour the New England states to see the fall foliage. Was planning to leave Texas toward the end of Sept. Now we are wondering if that is such a good idea. There are so many places we want to visit that are near or along the coastline and now the flooding , the power outages and recovery efforts...should we rethink this and maybe try another year? I just don't know. We certainly don't want to go and then be in the way because they are still recovering. (we will travel with our 5th wheel camper)
Certainly has been an eventful year for us. My husband retired Nov. 2010 and we had a winter with record low temps for a record number of days in a row..very unusual. Then in February the winds started and didn't stop until late early Aug. The winds combined with the horrible drought has caused an extrordinarily high number of wild fires. These fires fueled by the winds have been devestating to almost every county in TExas (our small community suffered the loss of 13 homes) Now we are experiencing a record number of triple digit heat days. I think we are at 78 days now. We froze, blew away, fried and dried up. (many lakes are literally drying up)
I think my husband should go back to work...LOL!!!
Don't forget the beautiful Smokey Mountains!!! No hurricane here!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Wow, keep the info coming. I didn't know I would be helping others with travel plans too...hahaha. We will be traveling with our 5th wheel camper and we do have a generator, so we don't have to worry with hotel reservations. Do like to stay at RV parks whenever possible, so share info if you know some good ones. I have done some looking online, but the links you all have shared with me are so much better. Thank you all for sharing and I am making notes about every location & state you mention. Hubby says we might just stay gone for a month....now I can see a lot of things in that time.
Here are a few things on our list of things we want to see or do as we go to &/or from New England.
Graceland, Several places in Nashville, Niagra Falls, Amish country, Ft. Knox, Cap Cod, (hubby wants to see Statue of Liberty, but there is NO WAY we are driving our big ole 1 ton Ford F350 4dr long bed truck in New York City(we try to avoid big cities), would love to see some light houses and ya'll need to share the names & locations of your favorite quilt shops. Hubby loves car & motorcylcle museums so info in that area would be great too.
KEEP THE IDEAS COMING... I am getting so excited. And a big huge THANK YOU AGAIN!!! Happy threads ya'll!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM

Holey moley "mim"...now that's what I'm talking about. Those pictures are beautiful!!! Maybe I will be able to post some that pretty after my trip.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone
Here are some Chambers of Commerce in Northern/Central NH:
http://www.mtwashingtonvalley.org/
http://www.ossipeevalley.org/
http://www.wolfeborochamber.com/

Pretty foliage. This is my back yard from a few years ago.
Lucky you to have that specktacular view!!! Thanks for the links too.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by momto5
Hi Jaynie...I too, think you should go!
NOw, in a totally unrelated "turn of events"...can you give us a closer shot of your avatar? It is absolutely beautiful!
Here are a couple of links to pics of my avatar quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26340-1.htm
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26498-1.htm
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26529-1.htm
Thanks for the compliment,...I always get a big smile when I'm complimented on this quilt particularly, because it is entirely made of what most people throw away..selvages!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
mim

I was born and brought up in CT and moved to Maine permanently in 1980 -- I can truly say that I think Maine is best. The way of life is so personal, but laid back -- when I first came to Maine in the 60s I thought they were so nosy -- I had a seasonal tourist business here in mid-coast -- Our neighbors in CT didn't know I was away with my sons for 8 months for a couple years -- then the rumor got around that I had been pregnant and given the baby up for adoption -- Can you imagine !!!

In Maine one day my son was badly hurt and a lady from church who was in the shop insisted on taking over for me while I took him to the ER. -- A total stranger helping out -- that was/is the Maine way. We care!!!

Mim
Originally Posted by Jaynie
Holey moley "mim"...now that's what I'm talking about. Those pictures are beautiful!!! Maybe I will be able to post some that pretty after my trip.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM

The mountains of western North Carolina are beautiful this time of the year and only get prettier as fall comes.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM

Feeling the heat right along with you just south of DFW.