Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fallen Arches and Foot Pain >

Fallen Arches and Foot Pain

Fallen Arches and Foot Pain

Old 03-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Marsye,you might try these suggestions from my doc.find a shoe with a canti-levered heel(looks like a horseshoe on the bottom of the heel) they have a better arch support.Now I know how hard this part is going to be!!!! WEAR them 24/7!!! Really, to bed? Buy a pair just for bed.I said you've got to be kidding right? He said , YES to bed and NO i'm not kidding and if you can wear them in the shower try that,pause, just kidding. But put them on as soon as you are dried off. I thought life was over as I knew it and i would die. Ask me how I know!!! I have always gone barefooted and not always worn the best shoes.walk in the door , off come the shoes kind of girl. But I could not walk out of that office by myself so I decided to trust him.(I was already having pain walking and caught my toe on packing box and tripped and landed on both feet hard on wood floor and broke off a piece of a large heel spur on one and inflamed the other).The first day was great the support helped the pain. About 4 to 5 days in I thought my feet would suffocate and fall off. I hate shoes!! It took some getting used to in the bed, I found that I could keep my feet out from under the covers, they stayed toasty in the shoes and used a leg pillow between my knees By 21/2 -3 weeks I was walking no pain at all.He wasn't crazy after all.Once you are pain free , you can stop wearing them to bed. Almost two years later I can cheat sometimes and walk barefoot with no problems and even wear low heel shoe with arch support.I decided that canti-levered shoes are the best thing since sliced bread I've every seen and my Doc. is a saint. Hope this helps you and I know your pain!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and bone spurs under both heels, probably from teaching school. My experience? The only thing that gave me relief was physical therapy. I tried custom orthotics, $300 later, I threw them out.

I try to never walk barefoot in the house (hurts after a few minutes) and I wear a good running shoe pretty much every day. The only exceptions I make are special occasions.

Foot pain is terribly miserable, it's not like you can just sit down all the time. Plus the pain doesn't go away when you do.

I have the same problems with toucansam. And yes the doc. told me too about the therapy with the feet. The stretching, rolling ice bottles under your feet and puttiing a towel under your foot and pulling on the towel toward you.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 AM

There's a tendon that runs from behind the toes, across the arch, under the heel and up the back of the leg. Shortening of this tendon is what causes fallen arches and heel spurs.
Sitting at a sewing machine or sitting anywhere can be horrible on those tendons. Try laying or sitting and putting your legs straight out in front of you and pull just your toes toward your body. I do this several times every morning before I get out of bed, while sewing, at the computer, watching tv, etc. It will help tremendously. Just remember, it didn't happen overnight and it will take a long time and a lot of constant effort to reverse it.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 AM

I too have foot pain. And yes, I have always gone barefoot. I have the Dr Scholls inserts recommended by the machine that you step on at Walmart. They help but the pain isn't gone completely. Check online for a coupon.

I have been walking on the treadmill with a slight incline. It has helped my waistline and it helps stretch the tendon similar to the exercises mentioned.

I've been going to weight watchers too. I figure my weight can't be helping. So far I'm down 25 lbs. Is it less weight, better shoes, walking uphill or everything combined? All I know is it is helping some.

Thanks for the shoe suggestions. I need to go shoe shopping. I'd rather go fabric shopping though.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:50 AM

I absolutely love my Z Coils. They're expensive but well worth the cost, at least for me they worked.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

Does anyone know if these walkers by Hush Puppy have good arch supports?

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Clas...PurchaseType=0
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I absolutely love my Z Coils. They're expensive but well worth the cost, at least for me they worked.
I would fall off of them! LOL
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Has anyone ever used the Dr. Scholl's measurement system (the machine you stand on) with good results?
My DH has been using the custom Dr. Scholl's inserts for about 4 months and says it's the best thing he's ever done for his feet. I think they were about $50.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 AM

I have inserts from the podiatrist, but am getting new ones from my chiropractor, called levellors. He did a foot scan on each foot, then the inserts will be custom made for me. Insurance does not pay for them, so my cash price was $200. I can now wear slippers for a little in the morning, but wear shoes all the rest of the time. SAS are the only ones that really work. I just wish they weren't quite so expensive.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 AM
JJs
Banned

I found my Relief Crocs at the Croc outlet at Lake-of-the-Ozarks MO for $10...
I found the diabetic Silver Relief at the Croc outlet in Foley Al for $30....
how are those too expensive?

my relief crocs are right beside the bed and I put them on even to go visit the outhouse in the middle of the night! LOL - never go barefoot if you have plantar fascitis

you might like some of these sites:
http://www.aapsm.org/plantar_fasciitis.html

http://www.nbbaltimore.com/foot-prob...s-c-61_73.html

http://walking.about.com/b/2003/06/2...-fasciitis.htm