Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Jeanne, how brave of you to tell us that. The first step in the OA program is admitting that we are powerless over food and our lives have become unmanageable. You've done that. The next eleven steps are about committing our lives to God as we understand him and asking Him to remove our shortcomings. I personally have fallen down in this area. I've had two binges this week and both of them involved being at church. It has nothing to do with church except that's where I'm exposed to too many sweet things. Yesterday it was peanut butter fudge with chocolate on top. The sad thing is I can't have PB. One of my new autoimmune diseases involved my skin last year and now PB affects it. So what are we going to do? I think I will chew gum at coffee hour if there are any non gluten goodies there. How are you going to handle it? Do you have a friend you can talk to? My friend wasn't in church yesterday. If I'd had him to talk to, I wouldn't have made so many trips to the table.

Today is a new day. The sun is shining. Decide now what you are going to eat and when. Don't forget to allow some snacks. What am I going to do? Track my sugar grams and stop making excuses to miss my 2:30 exercise program. Sew with intent on this quilt. I decided last night when talking to my son that I should go ahead with it. I can make Karen another when I get caught up if I still don't like it when it's finished. So I'm off to work on it.

Have a good day, everyone.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM

jlwheart, how did you cook the kale? I'm sure I would like it. Giving up the cable is a great idea, IMO. I only have basic which is all I want.

blondeslave, did you lose any inches? As Cindy said, muscle weighs more fat than so you can lose fat and still gain weight when you increase your exercise. Do you feel better having eaten well and exercised? The weight will drop as you keep it up. Look into a feast day. BTW, I was very disappointed in Dr Oz's Fat-urday. It was very restictive in content and somewhat restictive in calories. That is not a feast.

Pam, I like those kind of recipes. The youth at church had a chili cook off yesterday. THere wasn't a hot one in the bunch - even the "Fire Hazard". BTW, I love your wallhanging. My intent is to paint my kitchen red, white and aqua, but every time I see that panel I change my mind. Decisions, decisions. I was going to get it for my DIL, but her sunflower kitchen is the darker gold/rust. I may just end up enjoying seeing yours every time you post.

meanmom, we've had a low snow year. Luckily, the ski resorts can make it because the nights are cold, but the snowplowers and the motels and restraurants that depend on snowmobilers are hurting. Personally, I like a continuous fresh coating or four inches at a time with sunshine, but no blizzards. My sense of adventure dealing with those has diminished with age.

Eggplant was okay, but not something I'd repeat. We survived our 'new fruit or veggie'. I wonder what's next?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 AM

I am in the same boat with Blondeslave & Jeanne. I was hoping for a loss on Friday but I gained 2/10th of a lb. My eating had been good & exercising was great. I was dissapointed for sure, but on to a new week. I do know that somethimes your muscles will retain water if you exercise a lot so maybe that is what happened- I walked 3 1/2 miles on Thursday. Good advice to Jeanne from Pam, Mary & Irishrose so I think I will use it myself!

jlwheart, good for you for giving up cable! I go to the library a lot, not for DVD's but for books- I read quite a bit. I don't buy too many books because once I read them I don't want them anymore! I felt like a dinosaur in the airport a few weeks ago when everyone was on their Nooks, Kindles & notebooks of some kind & there I was with my real book! I don't have any real need to do the electronic books yet so I'll stick to the library!

My iron died this weekend. Just all of the sudden stopped working. It was an inexpensive Black & Decker & had to be 15 yrs old. Luckily I had one in reserve! I had been at Big Lots 9 or 10 months ago & saw a Hamilton Beech iron- "retro style"- all metal I guess was the retro part! I had been looking at irons because I knew mine was old & got this one because the auto shut off was for an hour- like my old one. A lot of the newer ones I looked at had shut off times of 20 minutes- that would never do! Who else but a quilter would have an iron in reserve just in case?!

I have been working on that Christmas quilt & like how this section is coming out. I also put up a portable type design wall. I used a curtain rod & cafe clips to hold the flannel. I'll put up a pic of it when I get a chance in case it might be something someone else would like to do.

I have walked 10 1/2 miles this month!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Good job on the 7 lb this month Cindy! You just might get to keep all of those fat quarters yet!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
jlwheart, how did you cook the kale? I'm sure I would like it. Giving up the cable is a great idea, IMO. I only have basic which is all I want.

blondeslave, did you lose any inches? As Cindy said, muscle weighs more fat than so you can lose fat and still gain weight when you increase your exercise. Do you feel better having eaten well and exercised? The weight will drop as you keep it up. Look into a feast day. BTW, I was very disappointed in Dr Oz's Fat-urday. It was very restictive in content and somewhat restictive in calories. That is not a feast.

Pam, I like those kind of recipes. The youth at church had a chili cook off yesterday. THere wasn't a hot one in the bunch - even the "Fire Hazard". BTW, I love your wallhanging. My intent is to paint my kitchen red, white and aqua, but every time I see that panel I change my mind. Decisions, decisions. I was going to get it for my DIL, but her sunflower kitchen is the darker gold/rust. I may just end up enjoying seeing yours every time you post.

meanmom, we've had a low snow year. Luckily, the ski resorts can make it because the nights are cold, but the snowplowers and the motels and restraurants that depend on snowmobilers are hurting. Personally, I like a continuous fresh coating or four inches at a time with sunshine, but no blizzards. My sense of adventure dealing with those has diminished with age.

Eggplant was okay, but not something I'd repeat. We survived our 'new fruit or veggie'. I wonder what's next?
I also fixed eggplant parmasiana.Still don't like eggplant. I love zuchinni so I thought maybe it would be similar.NO it isn't.At least we tried something different.I ate a spoonful of peanut butter yesterday.I love it and since I have false teeth I don't eat nuts anymore. Which I love.It wasn't on my diet, but I didn't eat 1/2 a jar like I wanted to either.I cycled 3.5 miles so far today to get it off my hips and belly. I'll do more later. Everyone is doing well for the most part and I think that is GRRREAT!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM

"blondeslave, did you lose any inches?"

I never think to measure myself but my clothes feel a teeny bit looser. I'm heading to the gym after work. Didn't get there the last 2 days although I did do house cleaning and a lot of errands. I finally started reorganizing my sewing room so I can think in there again. There must be some payoff to lugging the Dyson and the Floormate up and down the stairs...LOL.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Afternoon ladies!!!
Cindy did you get my FQ yet?
Hubby came home after being in AZ taking care of my father for 2 weeks. Didn't notice the weight loss or the new haircut. How frustrating but I feel much better and my clothes are felling better also. Have to realize this loss is for me. Had a huge weight loss this morning - wondered why and then laughed. I work hard for the loss and then ? it - dumb.

Irishrose - you made the Spicy Swirl. I'm envious. I so want to make it . Haven't ordered the pattern yet, but started collecting some fabric. Plan on making them for Xmas gifts next year.

Cooked up a pot of black eyed beans yesterday. So glad hubby is gone again so that I can eat and cook without sugars and butters. Also have a wonderful recipe for using kale - it's a potato soup like at the Red Lobster.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:00 PM

This is how I like kale.

Kale Chips.

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 -2 teaspoon salt (this makes them pretty salty- you may want to reduce the amount, then sprinkle the chips with salt a)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 bunches kale , rinsed with stems removed
Directions:

Cut kale into 2 to 3 inch pieces.
Mix vinegar, oil, and salt in a large bowl then add kale and mix by hand.
Try to get all the leaves covered.
Place on baking sheets (I like to use parchment paper for easy clean up) and bake at 350 F until they are crispy.
After about 20 minutes, if it looks like they are not sizzling a bit or getting a little crispy, turn up the heat to 400°F.
Time for baking varies depending on the size of your chips and desired crispness.
The outer edges cook quicker than the pieces from near the stem.

Read more: http://low-cholesterol.food.com/reci...#ixzz1mJFUNKX0
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Everose View Post
Afternoon ladies!!!
Cindy did you get my FQ yet?
Hubby came home after being in AZ taking care of my father for 2 weeks. Didn't notice the weight loss or the new haircut. How frustrating but I feel much better and my clothes are felling better also. Have to realize this loss is for me. Had a huge weight loss this morning - wondered why and then laughed. I work hard for the loss and then ? it - dumb.

Irishrose - you made the Spicy Swirl. I'm envious. I so want to make it . Haven't ordered the pattern yet, but started collecting some fabric. Plan on making them for Xmas gifts next year.

Cooked up a pot of black eyed beans yesterday. So glad hubby is gone again so that I can eat and cook without sugars and butters. Also have a wonderful recipe for using kale - it's a potato soup like at the Red Lobster.
I didn't make it to the post office today, it will be Thursday before I can go. As of now I don't have it in my hands so it may be sitting in the PO box. My post office you can only get your mail when they are open. When I work I leave at 530 in the morning and dont get home until after 8 pm. they are only open from 6 to 6. It is fustrating some times.

Today I made it to work out, then went and pampered myself with a pedicure and mani with a new set of nails. It is the least I can do since I am my valentine. LOL.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM

That was my 3rd Spicy Spiral. A young looking one in gold/orange and turquoise for my GD for Christmas, a burgundy and cream one for my 2nd DD for her b-day and this similar one for the auction. I haven't heard how it sold for. I love how easy they go together as long as you pay attention. No blocks to square, either.

Cindy, the FQ is in the mail. I know you were admiring this month's selections. Enough to be the winner??? Good luck to you the same to anyone else who can offer some competition.