Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Cindy, your FQ is in an envelope on the island but now it's snowed in. I'm dragging my feet dealing with it waiting to see if Council on Aging stops by, but because we didn't get 5" in one day they probably won't. I have a drift, as usual. I love my big pine tree, but not the way it changes the wind patterns.

I don't want to make that belt. I have a 32" ribbon on my fridge. Occasionally I take it down and see if the ends meet yet. Nah. That's demoralizing enough with seeing a number.

I am very disappointed in my current quilt. I think I cut the squares too small, but I'm not going to start over. Maybe it will look better when I get more blocks on the wall. I have two machines set up. One with a guide screwed on and another for the snowballs. It's much easier that way. I like the little guide, but realigning it often is PITN. The Singer 15 isn't as quiet as the 301. I hope it will be better with more use. The Elna is almost silent, but she can't quilt, so she is on the floor right now. I felt like a traitor when I placed her there. I've sewn on that machine for 37 years and to have her not set up feels weird.

My weight is okay but not going down this week. Back to paying attention, I guess. I will make a batch of that soup for openers. I'm not doing well meal planning so having soup prepared is good for me.

I'm off to walk the dogs, then color my hair. It's risky doing it on Saturday because sometimes it comes out too bright, but the people at church don't care.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 PM

I missed my weight watchers weigh in today because I didn't get out of bed. I had lots of store to go to in the opposite direction. I am pretty sure I only lost a pound this week. I will try to go to a meeting this week. We love the to good to be true stew. I wasn't sure about it because it sounds like a lot of tomatoes and not much else.
My nephew saw a Tetris quilt online and has been bugging me to make him one for a wedding gift. He says Tetris is one of the best games ever made. I don't know what came over me but I made him one. I needed a light medium and dark of 6 different colors plus black. I am almost embarassed to say it was all in my stash. The only thing I had to buy was fabric for the binding and thread to quilt with. I pieced the back out of leftover fabric. It is sort of a large version of stacked coins. I am going to mark it tonight and hopefully get it sandwiched. It needs to be finished next Sunday. (Or I could give them a UFO) I have a busy week, not sure if I will finish or not.
We haven't hardly gotten any snow this year:-( I love snow. We got a little under and inch last night. My husband has several contracts to plow snow and we could use the money. He is a self employed landscaper and business has been slow the last couple of years. A lot of his business is new construction and there sure isn't much of that going on around here.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 AM

Good morning everybody!

I weighed in this morning and was disappointed. I gained 3 lbs. I have no idea where it came from probably lack of exercise. I guess I'll have to get back to water aerobics I know that would help.

Hubby and I have been working on a scrappy log cabin quilt. We pick colors together I cut and he sews. The only rule is half the block has to be Black and white. The color side is up for grabs. It's pretty wild. It's going to be king size for our bed.

Well I have to get hubby up, do the doggies and then it's off to church.

Have a great day everyone. God Bless us everyone!

Jeanne
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 AM

Don't feel bad. I was really on top of my game last week-logged 1200 or less calories last week and did 45 minutes on the bike 5 times and gained a pound. I'm trying to think positively that the payoff will come this week. I'm going to try lifting today and see how my back reacts. Crossing my fingers. The lifting really seems to help plus I feel stronger. I think it was Liz Taylor that said, "getting old isn't for sissies". As I just entered the crone stage of my life I have to agree.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 AM

I printed out copies of the TGTBT stew recipe and noticed a couple of differences from what I made. The main one is to add a pkg of Italian dressing mix. Mine had a clove of garlic and stewed tomatoes instead of the diced. Here is the actual one that I made:

TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE STEW

1# ground beef or turkey
1 bag coleslaw mix
1-46oz can V-8 juice
1-28oz can stewed tomatoes
4-10oz cans Rotel (tomatoes with green chilies
3-15oz cans of beans (1 each of black,red,kidney)
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 pkg dry Italian dressing mix

Saute onion and garlic until tender. Brown the meat. Cook all ingredients in a large stock pot for 1 hour. To reduce sodium, use reduced sodium V-8 juice. To reduce spice, use diced tomatoes instead of Rotel. Freezes well.

After talking to my mom yesterday, I found a reason why some people may not want to use a lot (or any) cabbage. She is on cumadan and has to watch her vit K. We will have quite the time figuring out food when I go visit her the end of the month with her vit k thing, my sister is gluten free and I avoid msg to avoid migraines.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Hello Ladies.

having a crazy weekend at work. My son came to town for a visit and I am only able to spend a couple hours with him. But he cam to see grandpa so I can't complain too much. He knew I was working.

I am down another pound. that is a total of 7 lbs so far this month. Keep up all the hard work, it will pay off in the end. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM

Hi all, I had the kale and it was delicious. I hadn't had it in years and now it's on my list for coming week. I'm taking a huge step tomorrow and taking back the cable box. I'm going off cable cold turkey! I've been such a couch potato the last few years. I got to thinking of all I'd be doing if I wasn't glued to the tv set. What really sealed the deal is all the commercials lately with screaming. And I'm paying to be screamed at - well not after tomorrow. I live across the street from the library and they've got a huge dvd collection so I'll be checking out dvds. And I'm on the internet a lot. But it's still a bit scary to let go of an addiction. I'm hoping to get to my fitness center this week too. Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 AM

Yesterday was horrible. I would have given anything to have had an OA sponsor. We went to church and set up the kitchen with treats for everyone. Got the coffee made and served. Then the trouble started. There was really nothing to do but keep the treats stocked and coffe full so I did my natural thing I ATE! Boy did I eat. I ate so much junk I couldn't even record all of it on my WW points tracker. What is wrong with me. Last month I have a good loss then I start out this month with a gain and a huge binge. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm not following a healthy food plan, I ashamed to admit it but most days I have one meal of Smart Ones and the rest cereal. I have to do something about getting some control in my life.

Jeanne
Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Jeanne, Jeanne, Jeanne. That was yesterday. Forget about it. Today is a new day and you get the chance to start fresh. We've all been there so no one is going to condemn you. Just pick yourself up and get going. You can do it!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JHolm View Post
Yesterday was horrible. I would have given anything to have had an OA sponsor. We went to church and set up the kitchen with treats for everyone. Got the coffee made and served. Then the trouble started. There was really nothing to do but keep the treats stocked and coffe full so I did my natural thing I ATE! Boy did I eat. I ate so much junk I couldn't even record all of it on my WW points tracker. What is wrong with me. Last month I have a good loss then I start out this month with a gain and a huge binge. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm not following a healthy food plan, I ashamed to admit it but most days I have one meal of Smart Ones and the rest cereal. I have to do something about getting some control in my life.

Jeanne
Jeanne maybe you could stop working the kitchen after church. That seems to be a big problem for you. I know you probably enjoy it,but it seems to be destroying your hard work all week.Maybe you could volunteer for another job.Good luck with whatever you decide. Mary