Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing View Post
I just noticed the Weight Loss Adventure threads and am interested in how it works.

When I saw this I read through much of January's thread yesterday and I was so excited to tune in today to see who won and how much they were able to lose…but we never know their weight loss for the month?
Those who sent me their total weight loss for the month we have a total of over 50lbs lost this month for those that reported to me. I did not hear from everyone who signed up. I personally feel it is up to the each person to say how much they lost that is not my place to announce it for them.

Please join in.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM

Wow, Jim'sGem that is a great reccomended diet you have there- a great resourse for all of us- thanks for sharing. I am with Irishrose, I'm going to copy that down. How do you fix all of those beans? I sure do hope that you are right in saying that your body gets used to all of the beans because it could be ugly for me! It seems to be working well for you.

That jammie party @ the LQS does sound fun! I'd be going late too!

Blondeslave, I love roasting my veggies too. With just a bit of olive oil & maybe a little garlic pepper. I have turned my husband on them too & he really likes them this way.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM

I like to start with dried beans. I soak them over night, sometime longer. So far I have cooked them all up with Garlic and Onion. Depending on the bean, I will also add cilantro, or cumin, definitely need salt but near the end of cooking. Ginger has been added a few times. Sometimes I will make them "Vegan" so I can share them with a couple of friends that have decided to cut all meat out of their diets. Most of the time I add a Smoked Ham Hock to the cooking and then just throw out the Hock and skim off the fat.
Many of them I will just heat up and eat as is. Sometimes I will mix them with salsa. I have a great homemade salsa I make that I LOVE. Sometimes I will also add an avocado with the salsa. Occasionally I will top the beans with some light cheese and heat them up. Garbanzo's are great on salads and you can mix almost any kind of bean into soups. When I make "Stir Fry" I will toss in beans with the veggies and serve them up. A tostada is wonderful with beans, light cheese, onions and bell peppers, salsa or pico de gallo, lettuce, tomatoes. I usually don't eat the tortilla. (Never get a fried shell Tostada)
It is much much cheaper to cook you own beans and then freeze them is small containers. My containers mostly hold about 2 cups. Some hold 4. Right now I have 2 lbs of black eyed peas that I will cook tomorrow. I love Black Eyed Peas!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM

I didn't PM my loss to you, Cindy. You can add 2.5 pounds to your total. Not much, but becomes it tougher as you become close to a goal weight.

I was wrong on the percentages for the pj party. It's 20, 25 and 30 at both LQSs. I can go to the one with more modern fabrics from 8-9 and get some Asian fabrics for a wallhanging for my grandson's restraurant and then go to the one closer to home from 9-10 and get the basics and maybe a pretty batik.

Did you see the Nightly News tonight? A group of doctors wants to propose a tax similar to the one on alcohol and cigarettes on sugar because the amounts we are consuming are toxic. Wow. I agree sugar is a drug, but that may be going to far. It will never get it past the sugar conglomerate anyhow. They have some powerful lobbyists. Dr Snyderman said the artificial sugars are even worse because they leave your brain craving even more sugar. Interesting to say the least.

The dogs found some bare ground down by the lake so we were out much longer than anticipated. They were like kids in a candy store with all the great smells to follow. Too warm to be on the lake in my opinion, but the fishermen and snowmobilers were out in force.

MJ, I found the Sit and be Fit equipment. It appears to be only have damage to the Velcro foot straps and I don't need those. It's very heavy so moving it around could qualify as weight lifting. A double benefit.

The nicest thing about cooking beans and such yourself is that then you know what's in them. Beachbound suggested eating black eyed peas for the New Year. I had some canned ones in the cupboard but when I checked the label, they have sulfites in them so I couldn't join her. I especially like Navy beans, pinto beans and black beans.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 AM

Judy, that Sit and be Fit works you harder than you would think. I do 12 minutes a day now and my arms and waist really feel it.
Gayle, we eat beans at least 2 meals a week. We are partial to a mix of navy and pintos, but also love baby limas. I cook mine in a pressure cooker with a little country ham that I also take out afterwards. I cook cornbread with them and it is not a bad point bread, I don't use sugar in my cornbread.
I love oven roasted veggies and eat them at least once a week.
Another yummy is acorn squash cooked in the microwave. All you do is poke holes in it and nuke for 10 minutes. Cut in half and scoop the seeds out. It has a naturally sweet taste that I sometimes add cinnamon to...but is delish without, also.
I would love to go to a LQS Pajama party! I have plenty of PJ's or Sweats, that is about all I own!

I lost 12.5 pounds this month...all of it the hard way, counting every bite that went in my mouth.

I'm sticking with WW because it is really working for me. I don't feel deprived and we are eating much healthier. I like that I can still have a few bites of my favorites; I just have to make better choices of my foods.

Today is bill paying day as we get our SS checks today (well, dh does). I plan to WALK in the grocery store, the first time I haven't used a wheelchair or cart in oh...3 years, I think.

And I have permission to bowl one game Saturday with the lightest ball they have. They have free bowling here as a promotion this weekend so I asked if I could. That counts for my cardio Saturday.
It is so fantastic to be able to walk and move out of my house, I am really enjoying this.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM

Wow, this is an active thread today. I to lost 12.5 lbs this last month. Congratulations MJ. We both did it on WW.

I love acorn squash. Hubby doesn't so I need to cook a whole one and then portion it out and freeze the portions for me. I do that with butternut squash to.

It's good that we're having so many new people join us this month. Welcome back to the returnees.

MJ, you be careful bowling Saturday. Just bowl a slow steady game.

Well I have to go this morning. God Bless Everyone.

Jeanne
Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM

This month so far has been great. Keep up all the good work and continue sharing.

I have had some trouble sleeping the past few nights with my legs and lung hurting. We are have a front come through with rain and I believe it will get colder, so my breathing is a bit tougher. I have my pulmonary rehab today which with no sleep last night I really dont want to go.

I need to get going on my quilt that I have to have done by May. I have only cut the first set of strips. UGH I pray I can get it done in time. Hard when you are limited on when you get get to your stuff and all my storage stuff has been moved and is surrounding my cutting table.

Enough complaining from me. I am still on track with my weight loss, the lbs right now are not coming off but the inches are. I have noticed that my waist line is coming back, I have the dimples once again on my side, now to get the flubber down off the stomach. LOL

Have a great day ladies.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM
JT

Hi everyone! Ok, I am really new to writing much of anything on this board, but I am so disgusted with myself, I need to do something and take action. So I am joining the challenge. I have used weight watchers in the past, and have been successful. I had lost 30 lbs about 3 years ago, and got to a good weight. Somewhere in the last 1 1/2 years, I've packed on 15 lbs. UGHHHH!! I'm hoping I will pick up ideas and motivation from this group. I love the board and read it often, so I know there is a great group of people here. Createfourpaws, I will email you for address for the fat quarter. Good luck everyone!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Flubber?? Is that fluffy blubber? I like that.

I decide to track sugar grams today. A teaspoon equals four grams according to WebMD. The Dove chocolate I just enjoyed had 4 grams, so I just had a teaspoon of sugar. This is going be interesting to say the least. I wonder what a reasonable amount to have for a day would be. I'll have to look some more.

12.5 pounds an amazing weight loss, but is very close to the two pounds a week which is considered a healthy amount to lose. MJ and Jeanne, way to go. January was a long month but February is shorter so we'll see what it brings. I wish you all luck. I need to find a FQ to send very soon.

MJ, this is a Sit n Fit. Sit and be Fit is the name of the TV program I was doing for a while. I am going to restart that next Tuesday, but this time I will modify it to fit my physical limitations.

My goal for the month is another 2 1/2 pounds. On the first, I weighed 146.5, so I'm expecting to be back to the 144 pounds I was before I ate my way through the holidays. Okay, now it's in print so that makes it more real. I encourage all of you to set a goal and post it where you can see it. I usually just write the amount I want to lose on my calendar, but this month I'm writing the goal number. Not 2.5, but 144. We'll see if that works better as a visual. You do not have to post your weight here, but post a goal visible to you. Mirror? Calendar? Planner? Fridge?Wherever suits your lifestyle.

I am gaining control of my weight and becoming healthier.
Judy
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Here is the list of partcipants in the FQ challenge part of our weight loss adventure:
createfourpaws
MaggieMay
meanmom
lawsonmugs
JHolm
MrsH2008
blondeslave
Quilter Day-by-Day
purplemen
Short an Sweet
jlwheat
Irishrose
Jim's Gem
Chill
leatta
Pam H
JT

with nancia, Beachbound and, I assume Missy, checking in when they can but not in the challenge this month. If I've missed anyone, please let me know.