Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

February 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Welcome to Chill and leatta. I'm glad you found us, Pam.

leatta, if you want to send a PM, click on the recipient's name above the avatar, then click on 'Send a Private Message' and go from there.

I will post a list of participants later. So far I have 16 names on my list.

MJ and Jeanne, I'm so proud of you. You are giving WW a good name, but are each of you to be commended for doing the work! Yay! Where's my cheerleader icon??

MJ, I've seen those but I'd have the same problem as an exercise bike - the scenery doesn't change. I do have an exerciser that moves your feet in a similar fashion. My Siberian/wolf redesigned it for me 11 years ago. I wonder if she left enough parts to be usable? Off to the playroom to see. I also have a balance board under the bed in there. I don't know about using that one with my neurathapy balance problems. Oh, oh, now I'm going to cry. Lily and Moira are very nice dogs, but no animal will ever replace the beautiful Miss Mia.

I'm going to a pajama party at my LQS tomorrow night. You have to wear PJs or sweats to get a discount. 10% from 7-8. 20% from 8-9 and 30% from 9-10. Guess what time I'm going. I don't have sweats, but I did buy a pair of cute PJs when I had surgery a few years ago. I'm not a cat lover, but they were inexpensive and the pants are leopard print, which I do like. I'm making a list so I don't buy things I don't need. I do need wide white backing. These spiral table runners take a lot of backing. I think only fabric is on sale, which is too bad because I'd like smaller square up ruler. Oh, well, sooner or later, I'll get up to JoAnn's with a coupon.

Make healthy eating choices, move your body and DRINK your water. I like the newer studies that show you don't have to do all your exercise at once in order for it be effective. It's a lot easier on my aging body to do 10 minutes three times a day than 30 minutes all at once. This time of year that doesn't apply to walking as I need to wear too much to get dressed more than once.

I am losing weight and becoming healthier.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Welcome to Chill and leatta. I'm glad you found us, Pam.

leatta, if you want to send a PM, click on the recipient's name above the avatar, then click on 'Send a Private Message' and go from there.

I will post a list of participants later. So far I have 16 names on my list.

MJ and Jeanne, I'm so proud of you. You are giving WW a good name, but are each of you to be commended for doing the work! Yay! Where's my cheerleader icon??

MJ, I've seen those but I'd have the same problem as an exercise bike - the scenery doesn't change. I do have an exerciser that moves your feet in a similar fashion. My Siberian/wolf redesigned it for me 11 years ago. I wonder if she left enough parts to be usable? Off to the playroom to see. I also have a balance board under the bed in there. I don't know about using that one with my neurathapy balance problems. Oh, oh, now I'm going to cry. Lily and Moira are very nice dogs, but no animal will ever replace the beautiful Miss Mia.

I'm going to a pajama party at my LQS tomorrow night. You have to wear PJs or sweats to get a discount. 10% from 7-8. 20% from 8-9 and 30% from 9-10. Guess what time I'm going. I don't have sweats, but I did buy a pair of cute PJs when I had surgery a few years ago. I'm not a cat lover, but they were inexpensive and the pants are leopard print, which I do like. I'm making a list so I don't buy things I don't need. I do need wide white backing. These spiral table runners take a lot of backing. I think only fabric is on sale, which is too bad because I'd like smaller square up ruler. Oh, well, sooner or later, I'll get up to JoAnn's with a coupon.

Make healthy eating choices, move your body and DRINK your water. I like the newer studies that show you don't have to do all your exercise at once in order for it be effective. It's a lot easier on my aging body to do 10 minutes three times a day than 30 minutes all at once. This time of year that doesn't apply to walking as I need to wear too much to get dressed more than once.

I am losing weight and becoming healthier.
I would love to see pictures of the pj party.As far as the excersize goes. I do 15 min at a time and try to do 2 sets of that. Then I get in about 6-7 miles of biking a day that way. No way I could do that in 1 set of 30 min.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM

I just noticed the Weight Loss Adventure threads and am interested in how it works.

When I saw this I read through much of January's thread yesterday and I was so excited to tune in today to see who won and how much they were able to lose…but we never know their weight loss for the month?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM

AtHomeSewing, createfourpaws' first page of this thread explains it quite well. You sign up right here by indicating you'd like to be part of the challenge. Then you mail a FQ to her PO Box. You can PM her or me for the address. It can't be posted on an open forum. Sign up closes on the 3rd and the FQ needs to be received by the 10th. The possible winners PM their losses to Cindy at the end of the month and she mails out the collected FQs. If you wish to be part of the group and not the FQ challenge, then just post anytime. We like to hear from everyone often and to win you must post at least weekly.

As far as winning numbers, that has never been a secret - I think this month is in the 10 pound range. I'm sure purplemen (MJ) and JHolm (Jeanne) will be glad to tell us the exact amount as will the runner-up if she wishes. We are all winners because we are losing at our own rate and improving our health, but it's still fun to see larger successes and rejoice with the winners.

I need to go to the vet's office because I like to weigh the furgirls occasionally. I control their diet much more than my own. They need Interceptor, too. Ouch. There's a $100 bill spent, but there's no getting around it.

Have a good day, y'all.
Judy
Old 02-02-2012, 11:40 AM

I noticed someone earlier posted the link for My Fitness Pal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ If you aren't used to using a daily food and exercise journal this is a fantastic tool. I eat a modified low carb diet and all I have to do is look up my food items, add them to whichever meal and it calculates everything for me. Easy to keep track and keeps me honest about what's actually going in my mouth. You also track your exercise. I find this very helpful and helps me to say no if I know all my calories are gone for the day.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM

I'm glad that Connie asked the question. I was wondering what the weight loss was that won the prize. That's a lot of weight for one month.

I have a "Fatty Liver" my endocrinologist makes me go to a nutrition class taught by a retired nutritionist. Everyone else in the class is diabetic. I am not. However Mary (the nutritionist) stresses NO SUGAR or Sugar substitutes. No Chips, Crackers or "Snack" foods. No fried foods, stay away from Fast food. No white flour, white rice etc., only whole grains. 2 meals a day we must have at least one cup of cooked vegetables and 1/2 to 1 cup of beans. Those of us over 200 lbs must add a little more protein to that meal. Choose first from Swimmers, fish and seafood, then from 2 legged, chicken, turkey, poultry etc. (wild meat would fall under this category for those who hunt) then from dairy, low-fat (doesn't have to be non-fat) cottage cheese etc, then eggs and last of all, only rarely if we must, from 4 legged, beef, pork, lamb. (no more than once a week) I find that eating the beans (and your body does get used to it) and veggies fills me up and I do not feel the need to snack. I have been able to avoid almost all deserts, I just havn't felt like eating them. For breakfast I do eat 2 eggs every day and usually mix in a little bit of ham and veggies.
I cut out the sugar and cream in my tea and have never drank soft drinks.
My Doctor wants me to commit to this for a year. I started the week before Thanksgiving and have lost 20 lbs thus far. I have not been perfect but have been doing Very good!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Oh, I forgot, we are supposed to get in 1 hour of exercise a day. It can be broken up into 4 15 min sessions 6 - 10 min etc. I have not been exercising. Because I have issues with both knees and some major bone spurs and bad Planter Faciates in my feet, I cannot walk. I have not exercised except for some Aqua Aerobics when I have been well enough to go. My hope is that this knee surgery and being off my feet will help my foot do better so that I can walk When it is "OK" I will try again to ride my exercise bike. I also plan to get back in the pool as soon as they will let me

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Thank you, Jim's Gem, for taking the time to write all that out for us. It sounds like a good plan for most of us to live by. I'm going to print it on a pretty colored paper to remind me to do better. I'm not diabetic, but a diabetic diet has a lot to offer healthwise. I'm impressed that your nutririonist doesn't recommend artificial sweeteners. As returning members know, I have a vendetta against that stuff. White rice? Oh, oh.

blondeslave, my fitness pal is a great site and so easy to use. I can see already this is going to be a good month.

"A moment on the lips, forever on the hips." A good thing to think of BEFORE the questionable food passes our lips.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Her thing with artificial sweeteners is that you still crave the sweet. They are not good for you. Try brown rice, quinoa, couscous, wheat berries instead of white rice. Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, corn is fine, whole wheat or whole grain breads, She is not fond of potatoes, probably because of all the stuff everyone puts on them. I do have some hash browns now and then. Watch the salt. She tells us "cooked vegetables" because by the time you cook most vegetables they shrink up and lose their water and so a cup of cooked could be like 2-3 cups of raw. We do not have to steam them, just no frying. I love stir fried veggies!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Have you tried oven roasting your veggies? I eat them hot cold or lukewarm. If I eat them for lunch I add a little feta cheese.