Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
FIRE ANTS-ANY IDES ON HOW TO STOP THEM?THEIR JUST NOW COMING OUT >

FIRE ANTS-ANY IDES ON HOW TO STOP THEM?THEIR JUST NOW COMING OUT

FIRE ANTS-ANY IDES ON HOW TO STOP THEM?THEIR JUST NOW COMING OUT

Old 04-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by sweet
Contact your local Agricultural Extension agency for a list of the approved chemicals to use on those buggers. There is a product out there that stops them from reproducing and a product that gives you an instant kill. These have varying degrees of toxicity, so just be sure to real the labels well and remember safety first.

You really can win this battle!
I'll try them too.Ya,I'd want something safe around the yard,as we do have many toads that eat flies etc,as well as my canned cat food.Little burgers eat the food,then get into their water dish and bask awhile.So,do have to change it throughout the day,plus we have cats,and a dog.That green lantern from walmart works great,you just shake it around the mound 18 inches from the main holes.But,one time I saw my dog,and cats,licking their paws after being out there,so had to quite using it.Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Yes! Before ant season, (I have a house in GA) I would put granules from Home depot around the perimeter of my house. Two weeks after that I would spread it throughout the sides of my house a little further out. I also put uncooked grits around the outside becasue they would eat the grits and it would expand and kill them. After all that I did not have a problem with them, spiders or scorpions. You have to start early enough in the season and treatment is continuous.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:51 AM

I went to texas to help with the new grandbaby, was doing yard work, and stuck my hand in the nest..while pulling weeds.
they were up my arm, biting me like crazy. i got all swollen,son gave me benadryl..it helped.
we used boiling water then.

honestly, they are just there to stay, he has to use the chemicals, it in an on going thing..