Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
FIRE ANTS-ANY IDES ON HOW TO STOP THEM?THEIR JUST NOW COMING OUT >

FIRE ANTS-ANY IDES ON HOW TO STOP THEM?THEIR JUST NOW COMING OUT

FIRE ANTS-ANY IDES ON HOW TO STOP THEM?THEIR JUST NOW COMING OUT

Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

If you know where the ant hill is then you can try this. Get one of those pots that has a holes in the bottom or ake holes in it, make sure it is big enough to cover the hill. Make a pot of boiling water. Place the pot upside down on the hill then pour the boiling water so it goes thru the holes. The boiling water will kill the ants. Supposedly the pot traps the ants so that the water can get them.
I have not tried this but heard it works.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 AM

we have many fire ants hills here in Georgia, there is a product a HDeopt that kills the fire ants. You just put some on the hill and in a few days they are gone. I have notics that it does not kill the little ants. Only fire ants. the best part is you do not have to mist or add water to the hill. :thumbup:
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Found this info:

http://www.fireant.net/Control/
Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 AM

We just use a specific fire ant killer that you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's. Sometimes new mounds will come up after you kill one spot- you just have to keep after them. You can eventually win.
But we have also poured boiling water on mounds too. That definitely kills them! Lol!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 AM

Pour cornmeal on the mound. It works! I am allergic to ants and my hubby does this all the tine. When they eat the cornmeal it swells them up and they die along with all their family, because they take it back to the "nest" and share it. LOL
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

We used to pour big pots of boiling water on mounds in pour yard in Texas, too, and it seemed to work.

By the way, Clorox used to be made of chlorine until the company announced in Nov. 2009 that it was changing the formula.

Chlorine is a known carcinogin, were you all aware of that? I can not imagine deliberately pouring this substance on open wounds! We have so many "the-government-says-it's-safe" issues to look back on in horror.:oops:

Jan in VA
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the Clorox idea. We've always used products we buy at Home Depot or Lowes and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Our dry summers have made them worse so will try the bleach.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
My grandmother and aunts used this for regular ants so maybe it'll work on the fire ants too.
She mixed dry yeast powder with water then mixed in some maple syrup and poured it into jar lids and set them around the outside of the house.
The water and syrup attracts them and they also eat the yeast which kills them. Not an instant solution but safe.
That might work on fire ants,they eat anything.I'll try it.Thanks so much
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
We used to pour big pots of boiling water on mounds in pour yard in Texas, too, and it seemed to work.

By the way, Clorox used to be made of chlorine until the company announced in Nov. 2009 that it was changing the formula.

Chlorine is a known carcinogin, were you all aware of that? I can not imagine deliberately pouring this substance on open wounds! We have so many "the-government-says-it's-safe" issues to look back on in horror.:oops:

Jan in VA
Thanks,I'll have to find something like that with the holes.As long as we can get down to the queen,I'd think out hot sun down here would detour them,but they thrive in it.Thanks so much
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I think I just read that wd-40 gets rid of them or stops their sting. I was on this site. I have watched the reality show about the bug terminators in the south they use a non lethal solution made out of flower pistons. I just cannot remember what the name of it is called. It dehydrates the ants.
I read that thread,that was a good thread too.I didn't know wd40 did all that stuff.I'll try it too.Thanks