fleas----help

Old 01-10-2014, 04:03 AM

As others have said, it can take weeks to totally rid the house of fleas. Wash everything repeatedly, like every couple of days, including bedding, any dust ruffles, etc. Those buggers JUMP. The only thing I have found to work on carpets is Raid Flea Egg Stop. It takes a couple of applications over a few days but it does work. Spray your vacuum cleaner with it as well.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
There is a tablet you can give your pet,goes by weight kills fleas on the body after 30min. ask your vet..very inexpensive and of course follow up with treatments in youre house.....
It is call Capstar, works great. I also had fleas in the house a number of years ago, took weeks to get rid of them, clean, clean, clean, treat everyday.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 AM

The flea eggs can survive most anything, and that's what you need to get rid of to have the fleas disappear. We had to have a professional company come in to treat our carpets when we had an infestation that didn't respond to other methods. Our beloved old man cat developed an allergy to the fleas, so that made it doubly important to get rid of them and quickly.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Have your carpets professionally cleaned and get Capstan from your vet. My boarding kennel gives every dog a pill when boarding.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Many years ago when Frontline came out I used it on my toy poodles and in 24 hours there were no more signs of fleas. My Sis-in-law had them so bad they would crawl on her legs when she was in the basement doing laundry. She got some and put on her three or so dogs and they were gone within 24 hours too.
My cats and dogs, several, have never had a flea again. No way would I ever use bombs, dips or any sprays.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 AM

My friend got them in her house. She put bowls of water with some liquid soap in them out at night with lights shining on them. The fleas ended up in the water. Every morning there were fewer fleas in the water bowls until they were gone. Worth a try! I looked it up....found this: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Flea-Trap
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM

Check with the vet for treating your pet. I was told this past summer to reduce the time between treating the cat since the fleas were esp bad. As to treating the house. My parents were married in 1936 and moved into a house with a crawl space that was infested with fleas. The recommendation from the extension service at that time was to sprinkle napthalene flakes into the space. This is nothing more than moth balls! In today's world you may find moth balls made with another substance so watch which ones you are finding. I've used this same treatment when we had them in the carpet. It works and is cheap enough. We spread the moth balls over the carpet, under sofa cushions, etc. when we were going to be gone for the day and swept them up when we returned. No fleas!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Can also sprinkle Brewer's Yeast on the dry food - makes the blood taste bitter and fleas don't like it.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 AM

You have to take care of both the live fleas and the fleas that will hatch from their eggs. We had this problem years ago in a rental home we had purchased. I don't remember the product we used to get rid of them anymore, but I do remember that it took two applications about two weeks apart.

Call an exterminator. It is worth the expense.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Flea pill from the vet given every two weeks until the fleas are gone from your house. If you have carpet, put a flea collar in the dirt collector or bag. The fumes will kill any flea that the vacuum picks up. Also keep your dogs on the heart worm pill with flea control. The medicine causes the fleas to not reproduce so no infestation if she picks up any. The pill we use is Sentinel. It's a once a month pill. We use Revolution once a month for our outside cats and not one has fleas.