Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet? >

Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet?

Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet?

Old 10-25-2015, 10:18 AM

The other day when I was watching "This Morning on CBS" they had a fellow on that believes we are too obsessed about recycling because much of the items we recycle create an inferior product that can no longer be recycled. We used to re-use glass soda bottles, now we create something else that is not as strong and can only be used once. Not to mention the recycling process is not always environmentally friendly either. But he also pointed out that everything comes from the earth - petroleum comes from the earth too. Gem stones are created by nature - it doesn't happen overnight, nor does it happen in our lifetime. Much of what he said made sense - wish I could remember his name.

I think it is more important to be concerned over poisons/carcinogens. Depending totally on nature is nice, but we have too many people on this planet to do that. I wish we didn't have to test on animals, but we wouldn't have the medical advances we have now without it. I personally like having the vaccines available, if you have every seen polio up close, it is not easy to watch, we all need to be thankful for Jonas Salk. And measles - that recent out-break because people have gotten away from doing it because of the fake study out of England was so unnecessary.

Personally I don't use the fleece, but I do believe it has its place keeping a lot of people warm that need something light and not a lot of room. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, just try not to condemn others that do.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Fleece is no different than thousands of other products manufactured today. That plastic bottle for your water, pop, juice (and hundreds of other liquids) is just as bad if not worse than fleece. Basically anything made from "disposable plastic" will be tossed away, yet won't biodegrade for hundreds of years. So complaining about fleece is like flicking that ant off of your arm when you are sitting on top of their nest.

So just because there is pollution we should just let it continue. Lets use K cups as an example. Just because K cups started out as non bio degradable, we should just keep throwing millions of them into land fills. No, we fix the problem. How about diapers? Just take a minute to really think about how much packaging material you throw away every day. Collect it for a week and see what you are contributing to the garbage pile humans now call home. It was called Earth at one time.

Having the knowledge to make a better choice for the world, yes the world, is only a good thing.
peace
Old 10-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Yeah, let's not rush into anything.
Ha ha. We really do have to wait for a scientific research paper or twenty to tell us the obvious. Don't take any action until it is too late. It should be the motto for human beings. And out of sight, out of mind. And how about why don't THEY do something about it.

I am sensitive about my planet.
peace
Old 10-25-2015, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=ube quilting;
Having the knowledge to make a better choice for the world, yes the world, is only a good thing.
peace[/QUOTE]
I agree. We should be making better choices today, not only for our generation but those of our kids and grandkids!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Anything manufactured is not good for the environment. When we go back to wearing animal skins and living off the land I guess many will be thrilled that we are finally living green. Then one day in that future someone invents the wheel and off we go again.
We know we have caused many insurmountable problems for our world but still, we can do better with just a little thought to our everyday lives to help reduce the situation we have put the world into. And it is everybody, not just them who can help to reverse the damage we have done.
peace