Flu near you? :(

Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 AM

We attend church where there are a few minutes near the end of the service where everyone goes and shakes hands (Passing the Peace). My 90 year old mother attends with us. We’ve decided to leave while everyone else is spreading their germs around. I have antibacterial hand sanitizer to use when we leave. And no, the minister won’t change the procedure.

Edited to add: We all get flu shots every year. I didn’t for many years, but after twice having the flu where I lost a month of normal life each time, the shot seemed like a better option. So far, so good. And yes, I know about all the negatives.

Last edited by coopah; 01-28-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I saw on the news record setting outbreaks in people 50-64 this year!
I got a flu shot. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:57 AM

It's everywhere here in NC. One family member was in ICU for 10 days. It turned into double pneumonia and blood sepsis. Since Jan. 3, she is still not well. Another family friend's sister is currently in ICU on a ventilator in induced coma. She's been there for 5 days now and her doctor says she has a very long road to recovery ahead of her when she pulls through this. This stuff is a killer. Now there's a shortage of Tamiflu and IV bags in the hospitals. It was previously thought to be spread by contact. Now they're saying it's air borne. All it takes is breathing it in. Scary times.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 AM

we also have gotten a flu shot, so far so good here in our home in northern IL
Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM

I have found the best thing for a cough is fisherman's friend. Granted they do NOT taste very good but they DO work. I don't bother with the sugary syrups that do not work nor the flavored, sweet cough drops; also do not work - at least not for me.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewnclog View Post
I have found the best thing for a cough is fisherman's friend. Granted they do NOT taste very good but they DO work. I don't bother with the sugary syrups that do not work nor the flavored, sweet cough drops; also do not work - at least not for me.
Check out Elderberry Syrup---Our daughter and her whole family (DH and 4 boys under 7 yrs old) in San Antonio have had the flu.. All the neighbors have used the syrup because of the side effects of Tamiflu. Pretty bad in Texas according to our daughter.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:05 AM

Yes, the flu hit here really hard. Schools closed in one community because teachers and students all got it.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I just got over what seemed to me to be a laryngitis (my voice was abnormal or mostly absent) coupled with the most violent cough, lots of nasal congestion, and I've had it since Thanksgiving! It was awful, felt like I was coughing myself inside out. Twice during the week before Christmas I went to MedExpress for treatment but there wasn't even one parking space in the lot, so I wasn't seen by a doctor. I am in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh.
My daughter's symptoms exactly. When she saw a doctor, it was diagnosed as the flu - that was early Dec. She was given a strong antibiotic and recovered quite well.
I am in N Michigan and no school closing yet, but it's here.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Yes our family had the flu. I was put in the hospital for a week. There were 7 of us that had it. No telling how many more. We all went to a funeral and that is where we got it. We live in Dallas area. I'm 88 and DH is 90, and he wasn't as sick as I was.[he said], I couldn't breath. Oldest Son got the Bronchitis. Really tough.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:56 AM

If only the sick would stay home. I take Methotrexate that makes me more easy to catch anything I am come in contact with.I carry the wipes with me and most of the stores here have them by the door. I took the shot that is stronger for the older people. We are just outside San Antonio in the NE San Antonio school district that they say is very bad. I go to buy grocery's and that is about all. My HEB Market now delivers on online orders so I am thinking about trying that. Sure hope this is over soon.