Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fons & Porter Quilting TV Show

I agree the daughter is actually a distraction( I think it comes from trying too hard) ..and think they would do better with guests. I am grateful that there are still some quilting shows on TV... so if it comes down to it .. I'll take the lack of styling issues over not having any quilting shows.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dolphyngyrl! Mary's hair did look a little "funky" on the last episode I watched; her mom wasn't with her as she had a special guest. But she was so enthusiastic, interested and excited about what she was learning and teaching us...well, she was just too cute and I don't care what her hair looked like. Enough already with the Kardashian thing...beautiful and empty. I love both Mary and MaryAnn and always enjoy their shows.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by sassey View Post
    I agree while they may not be actors or models they are on tv and there appearence is a valuable part of the show as they represent the quilting community. I know many of us are unkept in private when we get to quilting but most of us make surebefore we go out in public we try to look our best with clean hair Also most of us teach our children it is bad manners to talk while someone else is talking
    I agree with you 100%. We may not look our best while we're sewing, but we're also NOT on TV. As far as Mary Fons goes.... SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY!!! I used to look forward to that show but now I can't even watch it because of her. Between the constant interupting when someone else is talking and the "I'm new at this so I don't really know much BUT I know it all" plus all of the other annoyances I don't think that she's long for the quilt show world.

Blog Entries
    Isnt it great that we have the choice to change channels? Heavens, who would want to watch a quilter with messy hair?? I suggest that some of you picky people post your picture here so we can see if we like you any longer! Some people just have too much time on their hands.

Blog Entries
    When our local PBS carries the show I rarely look at their hair. They are teaching me so many great techniques that how they look doesn't enter the equation.

I liked the show before Marianne left. I don't care for Mary that much. I don't watch the show at all anymore- never know when it's on. I di catch an episode of Quilty on the internet. The stupid pop up bubbles with behind the scenes info or what ever it was drove me nuts!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I was shocked at how bad their hair looked on the last episode. I guess it is their business how they look, but it was very distracting to watch and I have to agree.....it is kind of hard for me to watch the daughter.
    A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars!

The only thing that bothers me with the show is the daughter. I figure she's had way to much caffeine for the day or maybe it's some type of disease? Some part of her body is always moving, very distracting for me.

QNN used to be great.
    Now it is 10 min segments with lots of ads, no thanks.
    I dont care how people look or sound just how good are they at teaching.
    Eleanor Burns is the best and her shows are free on her website.
    Also enjoy the lessons on You Tube.

They are down to earth regular women not actors. I really don't pay that much attention to their hair styles or what they are wearing I just try to pay attention to the show. There is way too much low cut tops and SHORT skirts on tv anymore especially with the news anchors. It's good to see other women making it in this world without all of the nips and tucks and so called glamour that we now have. Hooray for Mary and Mary Ann!!!

I will start by saying, I agree, it is what is on the inside that counts. However, these women have chosen to put themselves in front of a camera. I guess my issues with their appearance go back to lessons from my mom. Your appearance IS your first impression..etc. If you look like you don't care, that is what people will assume about you.

I would love to see more guests, but the mother's tendency to take over their idea and present it drives me nuts. You have them on the show for a reason, let them talk. I also find the daughter distracting.

I miss Liz.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I like the show, it's only the bobbing head of the youngest that bothers me. Otherwise, the show is great!
    OH MY yes besides the bobbing head her crazy hairdos & she makes crazy faces with the eyes and waves her hands so much. Very distracting.Always makes sure she is looking at the camera.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...6BC2680921.png
    " You can be a master of every thing you do. Every thing you do may not be a masterpiece, understand that, then do the best you can with what you've got".Maya Angelou

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slmeyer View Post
    I try so hard to watch F & P, but the daughter just irritates me so. She seems to constantly try to over talk or out talk her mother. She makes faces, bobs her head and I agree that her clothes are not approprate for TV. The mother is still professional and I enjoy her trying to do her presentations. I tape the show, but when I try to watch I just get so irritated I turn it off. I miss Liz and he professionalism!! If they have to replace her I'd prefer a more professional quilter not just a relative. I've been wanting to say that for a long time--Wheww!!! Off my chest.
    I completely agree with you. I've been around for a long time and have watched Nancy, Kay Woods, Eleanor Burns and Fons & Porter and others and the show just is not up to standards in my book. Mary needs to realize that her Mother is the professional one, not her. She really irritates me with her making faces and bobing her head, very distracting so I just don't watch the show at all. I just turn it if and go back to sewing.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Fons & Fons

Quote Originally Posted by slmeyer View Post
    I try so hard to watch F & P, but the daughter just irritates me so. She seems to constantly try to over talk or out talk her mother. She makes faces, bobs her head and I agree that her clothes are not approprate for TV. The mother is still professional and I enjoy her trying to do her presentations. I tape the show, but when I try to watch I just get so irritated I turn it off. I miss Liz and he professionalism!! If they have to replace her I'd prefer a more professional quilter not just a relative. I've been wanting to say that for a long time--Wheww!!! Off my chest.
    That used to be one of my favorite quilting show, but not since the daughter came on. Sorry, but I miss Liz.

Blog Entries
    The daughter is just young and nervous and trying to do well. she does bob her head a lot. a habit she should work on quitting. but all in all, the young take over. I watch Quilting Arts sometimes even though they hardly ever do anything I might do. and Eleanor B's voice bothers me enough to turn the volume down a bit but she is a great teacher! so there is always something... enjoy quilting!!

MIRROR, MIRROR, ON THE WALL, WHO'S THE FAIREST OF THEM ALL???? Is this like quilting police? I wanted my daughter and granddaughter not to be judged by looks. When I watch the show, I am wanting to learn more quilting skills.
    Carol

I don't watch Fons & Porter anymore either. Mary is too melodramatic for me and I don't feel like she has that much to say. Eleanor Burns voice is piercing to me and she phrases the show like she's talking to kindergarteners. I hate that I feel that way about her because she really has a lot of good information and instruction. I watch her anyway because I want to learn from her. My husband just leaves the room when she comes on. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way because everyone in my quilt guild says the same thing. I also feel guilty about saying these things because it's not going to help anything and maybe be harmful to someone.
    jean

I guess I have a different view point. I seem to remember when Mary came on in the beginning something was said about her having cancer. I googled it and I was right, I just didn't know how terrible a cancer she had especially for a young woman. I found this site that mentions her marriage. http://nandameansjoy.blogspot.com/2009/02/for-mary.html
    I would guess none of us would say unkind things about someone going through colon cancer and a colostomy. I know when my niece had such a procedure done she was told she wouldn't have children.
    It is so much easier saying things about someone who just seems to be a personality, but this personality is a real person with real grown up problems. I applaud her desire to see the good in life, and to try to achieve it. By the way, the way the change was stated Liz Porter didn't retire, she took over the magazine. Both Mary Ann and Liz are still working they just decided to have one do the magazine, and one do the television show.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I agree! Thank you.
    Believe, it can be done!

I stopped watching FP after a few episodes with Mary. With all the wonderful quilters in the world nepotism still prevailed. Mary seems uncomfortable on camera. She makes faces and noises, interrupts, plays dumb and gushes over guests.

The old FP's were wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
    MIRROR, MIRROR, ON THE WALL, WHO'S THE FAIREST OF THEM ALL???? Is this like quilting police? I wanted my daughter and granddaughter not to be judged by looks. When I watch the show, I am wanting to learn more quilting skills.
    I agree that I don't want my children to be judged solely on their appearance but when they're appearing in public I do want them to look clean and well groomed. On the last show I watched, they both were a mess. It's a shame because F&P used to be one of my favorite shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    People are entitled to look how they want. Whether or not it looks good or not is a matter of opinion. What you might not like someone else might. They are here to teach us new things, not look like runway models. I happen to like real looking people. I think there are too many people with too much make up, to much nip and tuck surgery which give viewers unrealistics views of how one should look. There is too much emphasis on vanity in the US it should be about what a person is on the inside or what good things they do, not how well made up they are. Just my opinion.
    Very well said!

Thank you for sharing this personal information to help us see everyone as "real" people that hurt and have issues we don't know about. Dealing with cancer, teaches what is really important. My husband's cancer is teaching many hard lessons. That said, I, too, miss the "original team."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepita;y 6165369
    I guess I have a different view point. I seem to remember when Mary came on in the beginning something was said about her having cancer. I googled it and I was right, I just didn't know how terrible a cancer she had especially for a young woman. I found this site that mentions her marriage. http://nandameansjoy.blogspot.com/2009/02/for-mary.html
    I would guess none of us would say unkind things about someone going through colon cancer and a colostomy. I know when my niece had such a procedure done she was told she wouldn't have children.
    It is so much easier saying things about someone who just seems to be a personality, but this personality is a real person with real grown up problems. I applaud her desire to see the good in life, and to try to achieve it. By the way, the way the change was stated Liz Porter didn't retire, she took over the magazine. Both Mary Ann and Liz are still working they just decided to have one do the magazine, and one do the television show.
    Last edited by ccthomas; 07-08-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    Carol

I've never noticed the hair. I'm too busy studying their techniques and thinking about my next project. Love their quilts and I know I will be rejuvenated after watching them.

Yes! Do you remember years ago when newspeople gave the news - in their suits and read the copy with no extras??/ I guess the powers that be wanted them to be more "like friends coming into your home" and now they talk to each other more than they report.........Overall people have let themselves go - when is the last time anyone here wore a skirt or dress - or put on earrings and stockings and did their hair before they went even to the grovery store? oh, sorry to say, I have left those habits aside myself because people would look at you funny! and make comments.

There are snapshots of Laura Ingalls Wilder around here with makeup, hair all done. and a beautiful dress. Those of you that are under 50 don't remember any of this - but it was a grand old time. Yes, there is more exposed than there is hidden these days (doesn't it seem that these ladies/girls are so insecure about themselves, that they have to show some skin to get attention?)

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    the dtr always looks odd. I'm getting used to her a bit though. sad the partner retired and mom is about to it looks like. everything is relaxed these days. I doubt my granddtrs know how to sit like a lady. too few women newscasters or show Hosts know either. i'm tired of looking up their skirts. but then, I can always change the channel. Oh don't get me started on cleavage. red wrap dress with cleavage on the weather news. sigh!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast