Freecycle

Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Must check this out.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by gale
But then the strangers will appear on your DDIL's doorstep right?
folks can come to your house, or you can meet at a separate location.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
True but she said she can't be bothered and also said she'd be skeeved at strangers on her step, but then said she will give the stuff to her DDIL to freecycle. So I guess her DDIL can be bothered to go elsewhere to deliver to people or have strangers on her step? Just how I took her post-maybe it's not what she meant.

eta: she did say her DDIL loves it so apparently her DDIL doesn't mind meeting up with strangers or having them on her doorstep. So win-win for them. :thumbup:
Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM

My DDIL leaves the stuff on her porch with a tag on it. She even has met someone in a parking lot of a store.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM

True but she said she can't be bothered and also said she'd be skeeved at strangers on her step, but then said she will give the stuff to her DDIL to freecycle. So I guess her DDIL can be bothered to go elsewhere to deliver to people or have strangers on her step? Just how I took her post-maybe it's not what she meant.

eta: she did say her DDIL loves it so apparently her DDIL doesn't mind meeting up with strangers or having them on her doorstep. So win-win for them. :thumbup:
My DDIL volunteered to take the stuff from me. I didn't ask her to. She loves yard sales, etc. I don't. I personally don't want a bunch of strangers to know where I live and how I live. I choose my friends carefully. Since I live alone my DDIL worries about me and is happy to help me out with getting rid of my stash. I would rather just take the stuff to Goodwill and let them worry about it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Your DDIL is SMART! We know we are dealing with all kinds of people and you are not going to get respect or admiration from ALL of them ALL the time.

My own daughter lives in an area where it works for her to leave things on the porch. She gives them a time limit, and if they do not get it, she takes it inside. Then offers it again, to someone else.

My own bad experience was with a woman who BADLY NEEDED some syringes for her insulin - and these had been donated to the church and no one used them. I gave her a 30 min window and went half way to meet her, because she was disabled. Do you think she showed up? She wrote to me about 10 hours later and said she was running late but she could meet me tomorrow. I did not reply! I gave her a chance.

For the things I give away, I meet them at Goodwill parking lot. If they don't show up, I take it home and have not driven far. I do not want them at my door begging for things. Some people are courteous and others are not.

Like anything else, you will be dealing with all types of people. So you have to take that into consideration.

I met a lady who quilts and now she saves me all her fabric scraps for my charity quilts. That made a good match for me. She puts them on her porch step, I pull up the drive way and pick them up, then head home. No fuss!

All I can say is, give it a chance. Some people are really good about being prompt, others are not. Their lives are probably so full of chaos they don't know what time it is.

June in Cincinnati
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I would rather just take the stuff to Goodwill and let them worry about it.
Ditto. That's what I usually do too.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM

I sure wouldn't be able to handle the strangers that might appear on my doorstep.[/quote]
-----------------------------
I always meet folks at a local restaurant and we look for each others' cars. I don't want strangers coming to my house either.
I've given away some stuff that helped others, and asked for a strange thing, an outdated, old, working half egg IMac computer. A very nice man gave me his, and I bought him a cup of coffee and donuts. Discovered he went to school with my brothers.
My old one had died slowly, giving me time enough to put all my files on CDs, then I discovered that my new one could not open these files. Curses!!! But the new/old Mac did the job!! And it will go on FreeCycle and if not taken, will go to my city's electrical salvage we have twice a year.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM

http://www.Freecycle.org
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM

I have had good luck with FC, giving away mostly books. I am like the DDIL, I do it for other people (neighbors)who don't have internet access. Most people are very nice and happy to get the items. I gave a bunch of Xmas stuff to a couple with 3 little girls and they were tickled pink!!
On the other hand, I had some diabetic supplies (very pricey) and couldn't find any takers. Gave them to someone on the board here.

Some groups have rules that your first post must be an offer rather than a request, or that you must balance out offers and requests. The moderators do a pretty good job of policing it.

Where I am located I end up posting on 3 FC sites, sort of in between geography-wise.