Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front loaders - pedestal or not?

Pedestals - yes.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I don't have pedestals on mine and don't mind the bending. I love to fold the clothes on top of the machines and spread out my "piles" as I'm folding - put the folded on the washer and the unfolded on the dryer. If I had the pedestals, they'd be too high for me to fold on. I guess it would depend on your laundry space/room.

Blog Entries
    Mine are on pedestals, and I like them. But, one other warning. If your washer is not completely level the bleach
    dispenser DOES NOT completely empty, leaving bleach to dispense into the next load. I ruined a load of brand new
    towels. I do not use the bleach dispenser any more due to the problem. We even had the service repair out to
    evaluate the problem. (Used the warranty) He could not get them any more level than we had them. Mine are
    Frigidaire Affinity (both) Plus to clean the washer, I use vinegar to the max line in the soap dispenser and a 1/4 cup of borax in the drum. Set to rinse and spin. Start, just let it run the cycle. Nice and clean. (and no bleach left over to ruin
    things)

We inherited the front loaders in our home we bought 4 years ago. IMHO they are no only over rated and overpriced, they under perform. The washer is eco-friendly. That means there is no hot water; just warm. It does have a "hot" water selector but it's a placebo. It does not spew forth steaming hot water like we have in all our faucets throughout the house. Ask you salesperson about this. The washer takes longer to fill because it is a "water-saver" and it doesn't get the clothes as clean as our "old" top loaders. The dryer stinks. No other way to say it. We have a 5x3 rug in the bathroom with rubber backing. The dryer simply does not dry it. No matter how long it's in there. We have to ask our neighbor to dry the rug for us. Guess what style dryer she has? My sister fell for the front-load marketing a few years back. She did nothing but complain about them for the reasons I mention. After 2 years she gave them away. She replaced them with a lovely set of top-loaders, a few years old, and is happy she did so. Need I say more? Just don't fall for the advertising and appearance. These are appliances, not home decor.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

I have a top loader, but my DB (bachelor)has a front loader and when I am there, I hate it before I get the laundry done. I am a short person, but leaning over like that is a real PITB. I would suggest you get the pedastals.

I have Samsung front loader washer and dryer.
    They both have a pause button that you can stop the cycle and add garments.
    You only have to wait about 10-15 seconds for the washer to unlock.
    No wait time for the dryer.
    I also think my wash is cleaner than with my very very old top loader.
    My daughter had scorch marks on her comforter which she tried to dry in her too small dryer.
    My washer got out all the scorch marks. She was amazed.
    I did not get the pedestals, but I also am a short person.
    "The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest."

I do not have them. My dryer is stacked on top of the washer. The washer is front load and has a big opening. I have never missed or thought about having a pedestal. $500-$600 yikes! How about Craigslist? I do have back issues.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post

If you know someone who is handy with cutting wood, etc... there
    are some tutorials online for building your own pedestals for them.

So much cheaper that way.

This is also a great idea. I know in europe the floor often is slightly elevated under the washer or dryer but it is only 4 inches or so. I am not sure if it is for the plumbing or to raise the machines.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Who would of thought that buying a washer or dryer could turn into a traumatic experience? We had to replace our wash machine earlier this year. I had no idea that washers had changed so much in the 18 years since we bought our last one. It was very hard to to decide. I did some research but it didn't help.
    We've made our own washing detergent for years and the new machines don't like them at all ( I was told using it would void any warranty), so now we also have to buy low suds detergent. The machine weighs the clothes to determine how much water to use. The cycles are much longer then our old one. My family says I'm just a cranky old lady. Perhaps they are right--I miss my old washer, I could tell by listening to where it was in the cycle. I sure hope my dryer hold our a few more years- I still use my clothes line for many things. There is nothing like sun dried linens.
    These are suppose to be my "Golden Years", I'm afraid there is more "Rust" then "Gold". Happy Wash Day.

We had mine installed so they stack. My laundry room is a tad bigger than a guest bathroom. My husband built me a laundry station as we call it and a large deep drawer for my laundry supplies.

They used to rattle a bit when on spin cycle but turning down the spin speed helped. I have no problems reaching into the dryer, nor using the controls. Being 5'4" we thought that might cause problems.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have the regular front loader here at home and the washer with no agitator in our other home. The disadvantage of the front loader is you have to leave the door open to let it dry and if you don't have an area where the door can hang open, you won't be happy with the frontloader. I would not want the front loader without the stand...too hard on the back. They both clean efficiently.

I always wanted front loaders and pedestals but now that I have one I hate it. They off balance so easily and bounce up and down. Give me the older models

Quote Originally Posted by dellareya View Post
    Who would of thought that buying a washer or dryer could turn into a traumatic experience? We had to replace our wash machine earlier this year. I had no idea that washers had changed so much in the 18 years since we bought our last one. It was very hard to to decide. I did some research but it didn't help.
    We've made our own washing detergent for years and the new machines don't like them at all ( I was told using it would void any warranty), so now we also have to buy low suds detergent. The machine weighs the clothes to determine how much water to use. The cycles are much longer then our old one. My family says I'm just a cranky old lady. Perhaps they are right--I miss my old washer, I could tell by listening to where it was in the cycle. I sure hope my dryer hold our a few more years- I still use my clothes line for many things. There is nothing like sun dried linens.
    These are suppose to be my "Golden Years", I'm afraid there is more "Rust" then "Gold". Happy Wash Day.
    I am sorry to hear about the homemade laundry detergent issue. We are moving to a house where there is a front loader - Whirlpool Duet. I am leaving my old top loader here - it is over 20 years old and don't want to move it. My idea was to use the front loaders til I can get myself a set of old fashioned top loader with agitator and regular dryer after we are settled in.

I have been making my own laundry detergent for several years, powder, and it makes zero suds. I wonder if that would be a problem in the new house? I have done laundry there and it is fine enough for what I did, but it is very noisy. It is on tile on the main level, not a slab, so wonder if we put cushioning under it would it be quieter.

It doesn't have pedestals. I don't need them. I'm short and it isn't a problem for me. Plus I like to fold on top of the machines.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Personally I would never get a front load washer, but concerning your pedestal question.... Probably depends on how tall you are, I'm fairly tall ( 5'9") so having to get on my knees to reach get the clothes out.... So for me pedestal would be needed.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'm about 5 feet tall and have no pedestals, but hubs is 6 feet and its hard for him to get the clothes out. His 70 year old body doesn't bend like it used to. I have the LG brand, it has a pause button so you can open the door and throw in that sock you dropped. It also has a sanitize cycle which is a pre-wash in hot water only. It has several options for hot, warm, cold combos. The thing I don't like about it is that if I don't dry the inside of the washer and dry under the rubber sealing gasket it smells and mold forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    We had mine installed so they stack. My laundry room is a tad bigger than a guest bathroom. My husband built me a laundry station as we call it and a large deep drawer for my laundry supplies.

They used to rattle a bit when on spin cycle but turning down the spin speed helped. I have no problems reaching into the dryer, nor using the controls. Being 5'4" we thought that might cause problems.
    Here is a link to my thread about how my front loader and laundry room are set up:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...t-t259068.html
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

My sister bought front loader and she has to 1) keep the door open so that it dries out thoroughly or it smells and 2) has to use a special product to "was" the machine every so often. She said she would not buy it again. She is short 5'2" so bending was not so much of an issue and she does have back issues, but did not complain about that. Good luck with your choice.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

Quote Originally Posted by lass View Post
    My sister bought front loader and she has to 1) keep the door open so that it dries out thoroughly or it smells and 2) has to use a special product to "was" the machine every so often. She said she would not buy it again. She is short 5'2" so bending was not so much of an issue and she does have back issues, but did not complain about that. Good luck with your choice.

Even on a top loader they suggest you leave to lid open to dry out the tub. As for the "wash" to clean the nasties out. Depending on your water, whether it is city or well, the cleaning cycle usually has to be done every three months or so. It's like keeping the oven clean, every once in a while you have to use the self cleaning cycle.

I have had front loaders with and without pedestals. I am 5'2" and had trouble reaching stuff in the dryer. My hubby built pedestals for me after googling it. It is like a study table so i can store things under it. We did put the anti-vibration pads under all feet(found them for a great price on Amazon) and really do not notice any extra vibrations. You do have to make sure all is level though. I would definitely do the pedestals again. My back appreciates them!!
    Daryl

I have the stacked set and love it. I'm tall - 5' 8" - and way over 60 - heck, I'm over 80! But I'm in good condition, so getting clothes out is no problem. I can see in the dryer if I stand on tip-toe, but wouldn't need to look in there. You can feel if there is anything in there.

I never clean my machine. One time a year or so ago, there was a little musty smell, but after I washed a white load with a little bleach in it, the smell went away. But I never close the washer door; never close the dryer door, either. You would never know that they are not closed. They are shut but not latched. So the bad smells don't get a chance. I think the bad smell that one time came from someone else using too much soap. I told her to use only one pump as it says on the container. That seems to be helping.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I really think it depends on how tall you are. I did not get the pedestal. I am thrilled with my front loader and it is not noisy
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    I have a front loader with the pedestal. super dirty work clothes I just add water thru the laundry dispenser, if I want a tad more water. yes, you do have to leave the door open for them to dry out... if you don't-----my daughters got ugly and stinky...

Thanks everyone for all the input. I think my DH has talked me out of the pedestals. He pointed out that the machines will be 52 inches tall with the drawers and I have no other space in the laundry room to fold clothes except the top of the washer and dryer. Not easy at chest height. Also, at that height, the water shut-off valve couldn't be reached without moving the washer out from the wall. In 25 years in this house we have never needed to get to that valve in a hurry but if we did, it would be a problem. So, I guess it's no pedestals for me.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

I make my own laundry detergent for my front loader but I make a liquid laundry detergent.
    "The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest."

If you wash the residue inside of the rubber seal every so often it won't stink.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast