Funny priorities today!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM

We found that a lot of canned goods are handy to have in stock...fruits, jello and pudding packs, even canned meats and good ole' pork & beans. And, yes, we have had to heat with candles and oil lamps! Thank goodness, we have a generator that hubby can hook to the tractor(farm life!) .........if it starts! lol
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM

those breakfast bars come in handy for storms, and peanut butter and jelly. Maybe boil some eggs so you have something to eat in case you can't cook for a few days. Stay warm! and safe!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM

How funny, tessagin, I just thought of the thermos this afternoon! I do have a small one, which I will fill with hot water. I also have one of those little personal crock-pots so I can get some water heated in there too. Unfortunately, we are only allowed to have electric grills here (it's about the fire laws and the fact that we have wooden decks on our condo units) so the grill idea is a no-go! I'll have to check into misspriss's sterno stove idea though... never heard of those! (Can you tell I'm an indoor girl and not a camper...LOL.)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 AM

God is alive and well and maybe a little angry........we are going to have +40* today, end of January. THis is our super cold month, February comes in a close second. Snow is melting like crazy. My friend and I are heading out and going fabric shopping, bird seed buying, Chic Jeans from wherever and lunch at one of the best Chinese Buffets in the world.
Of course, by Friday the high should be +17*. Go figure! I am not going to complain about the weather. We get the ravaging storms too - Just ask Laura Ingalls Wilder!!!!!!!! I would always tease my husband about putting a closeline from the back door to the garage in case we had to go out in a bad storm. But I will say this, while I was sitting at my sew-sheen, the City of St. Paul came by and sprinkled salt on our street and neighboring street. So maybe we will be
getting something too. At least the salt is down. St. Paul does a fantastic job of street maintenance. So, Easterners, hunker down, and really ---enjoy it. We'll all be complaining in six months about how hot it is and the humidity, right?
You can lose electricity in a summer storm as well as a winter one and what comes comes and it goes. Good snuggling weather. Or you can sew!!!!!!! Edie
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Fortunately, it is a rarity for me to lose power and 3 or 4 days is about the longest I've ever been "stuck" and not able to go out. Also true this year as we seem to be just on the edge of the nasty stuff. I order my dog's food online and never worry about that. He eats kibble and auto-ship more less insures he won't go hungry. As for me, I always laugh that I might not care much for what I'm eating, but between fridge, freezer, and pantry, I certainly won't go hungry. And a gas stove pretty much insures that I'll be able to cook it.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:54 AM

Well, much to my surprise we did not lose power, but the wind sure is blowing and it's loud! Right now we are in a lull, and the snow that has fallen so far is the light and fluffy kind (which is why the power stayed on). It looks to be about 20" high on the side of my car, but we are supposed to keep getting more throughout today. At least I'm home and safe... our governor declared a travel ban so they had to cancel work.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 AM

I own a treadle machine that my dad traded a shotgun for in 1917 that sews beautifully. I can always use that.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM

It is just horrible out there. I walked down my 100 foot driveway to retrieve the morning paper and was barely able to make it back to the house. Stay safe everyone in the path of this blizzard.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 PM

We were lucky here in Maryland. It snowed about 1-2 inches and missed us with the big stuff. I wish all of you well up north. The weather channel shows that it is horrible with the wind.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Did you know that you can use a can and a candle to make a stove? Use and veggie can , put a few holes around the bottom sides and put a candle in it. Then you can heat a little water, enough for coffee, tea, or soup.