Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garage Sale Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I don't have garage sales -- I just keep a box in the house and when I find something I don't want anymore I put it in the box. When it is full I take it to Salvation Army or Boys Club and donate. I don't make any money but I don't have the aggravation of a garage sale.
    This is also what we do. We also list things on Craigslist. So much easier than having to deal with a garage sale.

Thanks to everyone for their wonderful suggestions! I printed them out and showed them to hubby last night. We were both disheartened to know there are people out there who will steal from garage sales! Seriously, who does that? We will try to keep the higher ticket items (mostly hubby's tools and electronics) in the garage so people can't grab and run. Of course, it may be funny to see someone grab a tiller and try to run down the street with it!

I realize having a garage sale is a lot of work, but I'm hoping it will pay off for us.

Blog Entries
    see if you can place an "Ad" at your local Senior Center too for the tools, etc.

My oldest late Sister had a garage sale at my house, years ago. She sold Tupperware she no longer wanted. She made a lot more money than I did. I had three kids at home. I would never have another. Not worth my time and effort. I bag things up that I no longer want and donate them. Thieves are everywhere and will take anything that is not nailed down. It is getting worse. We didn't have to worry about that years ago.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have did many garage sales and I go every week end. It bothers me that people lay clothes on the ground an expect you to buy them. Present clothing neat,clean and pressed. Watch out for the garage thieves...they are out there. My last sale a lady stole a jacket from my neighbors sale walked next door to me and got a skirt. Neighbor realized the jacket was gone and came over to tell me. It was a neighborhood sale and I am sure she made a nice haul that day.

DIL and GD had a garage sale and gave change for hundred dollar bills that were counterfeit . Their spouses tried to hunt them down but they were long gone. Of course, they called police and again, got nowhere.
    Makes a person not trust anyone.

Blog Entries
    I always keep a basket of misc. cheap toys (fast food kids meal toys) with a sign " free" for the little kids. Parents around here set them loose in the sale to distract you while they rob you. Sad, but true. My basket usually grabs the kids attention and I can focus mine!

People steal anything ..... anywhere. Period.

I was talking to a new quilt shop owner who was heartbroken to admit to me that someone stole one of her quilted handbag samples. I still remember painstakingly painting a slip cast circus elephant in jr. High. I anxiously looked forward to seeing the final result when it came out of the kiln. Alas.....I never saw my project. Still ticks me off to this day. I worked hard on that project.

If you have some items of value, perhaps donating them to a local charity will yield a tax write-off vs selling at your sale. Just a thought. Thinking furniture, nice cookware, etc. Not sure what you are going to put in your sale.
    s
    andy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    you might try a neighborhood garage sale. ask your neighbors if they would like to join you and have a big sale with lots of "eyes" to help. Good luck.

Update! The oddest thing happened yesterday morning. I went to our old house to sort through the garage sale items and price them. I had the garage door open to give me more light, and people started coming to my house! One of our neighbors had a garage sale so people from her house wandered over to my house. I explained to these people that my sale is next weekend, but they just sort of started looking through my stuff and making offers. None were great offers, but after a couple of hours, I made $200! I still have enough stuff to have my planned garage sale next weekend.

Well that's nice! Hope things go well with the official sale too. It feels good when someone pays to buy your stuff!
    Lori

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2