Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Garage as a sewing room update >

Garage as a sewing room update

Garage as a sewing room update

Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Are you really sure you want carpet? I'd get rid of my carpet in a heartbeat for hard flooring. Tile, laminate, wood...anything other than carpet! It's really a pain in the rear to keep clean and rather dangerous at hiding pins etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 AM

You might want to get a combo unit for the window....cool and heat....prepare now for winter...you'll be a step ahead.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
Are you really sure you want carpet? I'd get rid of my carpet in a heartbeat for hard flooring. Tile, laminate, wood...anything other than carpet! It's really a pain in the rear to keep clean and rather dangerous at hiding pins etc.
I've debated this - I have tile in my current sewing location and while its easy fabric clean up the dust bunnies and cat hair kill me - I hate seeing the tumble weeds no matter how much I sweep or swifter.

I have laminate in my dining room and love it but not sure how it would do for standing on for long periods.

Carpet will be a pain but I was thinking of comfort...

now I have to rethink all this!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM

If you get a commercial type carpet most are short tight loops and easier to find the pins. Just do a lot of research if you decide on laminate since you are putting it on concrete. Concrete retains moisture and can warp the laminate.
Another thought would be the large foam squares that lock together like a puzzle. We have an auto repair shop and I put them in my office area so my feet weren't so cold. They keep the cold out and are great for standing on. Can't lose pins in them
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 AM

RE: Carpet

http://www.ravehospitalitycarpets.com/

These people are GREAT. I can not sing loud enough their praises. They sell business/hotel quality 18" carpet tiles. They have an overstock section, sells at HUGE discounts. I got mine for 98 cents a square foot. They will send you FREE samples of what color, pile they have in stock. You just have to let them know what square footage you are looking for. The carpet tiles are wonderful. They are already backed with non skid material. Easy to cut with kitchen scissors. Dont glue them down. If you spill something or drop a hot iron and melt one, just pick it up and put a new one down. If its just a spill, pull up the square, take to tub rinse it off hang it to dry and put it back.
Wonderful customer service.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
If you get a commercial type carpet most are short tight loops and easier to find the pins. Just do a lot of research if you decide on laminate since you are putting it on concrete. Concrete retains moisture and can warp the laminate.
Another thought would be the large foam squares that lock together like a puzzle. We have an auto repair shop and I put them in my office area so my feet weren't so cold. They keep the cold out and are great for standing on. Can't lose pins in them
Oh now that is another idea I didn't think about...My husband bought this workout mat for the back patio - its pretty big so about 4 of them would cover my work area - and its cushioney - thanks for that tip!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Try carpetbargains.com The have the squares and all the stuff you need. My sister did this in her basement and you can't tell its not wall to wall. And she has a few extras incase the kids stain it! They have all kinds and colors..imagine your floor as a big quilt square!!! :-D
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Instead of carpet, how about laminate? You can get some awesome prices from Lumber Liquidators, and no, I'm not associated with them. We got some a couple of years ago for $.59 a sq. ft.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM

we got ours for our Kitchen at lumber liq. and it has the pad attached. Got ours for 1.09 sf. Seems to be holding up great and its been a year.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM

You are going to have a magnificent room Girl! It really will be wonderful & I know you will enjoy it so very much. We took out a wall between 2 bedrooms & mad e altge room. Took up the carpet & pad and had cement slab underneath. We put a pad down for laminent flooring & then the laminent. Then we put down the squares that are foam bright colored puzzle looking pieces that lock together for the LA section of the room. We just absolutely love it! It works wonderful! It has been 4 yrs & we both agree that there is not 1 thing we would change. DH put up the 4ft Shop lights & being about 4 ft apart & across the width of the LA area is 2. Works extremely well. Looking forward to the completely done pics of your room.