Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band >

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e
I also know a friend that is going to have lap band surg.
BUT Are you going through the pre-course surg.??????
That is where you learn soooo much of what is instore for you after surg. There are some ins.co. that DON"T pay for this and it is really needed, so you know what to expect.
Best of luck
Yes, I went through that yesterday and i also talk to the dietitian
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 PM

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

I had a gastric bypass 15 years ago. I lost 128 lbs., and have stayed within that weight +/- 10 lbs. I weigh less during the summer when I'm more active than I do doing the winter.

I investigated all the surgeries available for weight loss before making the decision (there were around 60 of them at the time). When I decided on the procedure and surgeon, I attended support meetings and got a list of women to call and talk to about their experience. They were all very candid and honest.

It's a very evasive surgery, I religiously followed all the post-op instructions. I did have an "apron" after I lost all the weight and, because of hygenic issues, was able to have a tummy tuck covered by my insurance. Oddly enough, I thought the tummy tuck was far worse than the bypass.

I'm lactose intolerant, I crave sugar but it doesn't like me so I have to be careful, I will have vitamin deficiencies for the rest of my life so will always have to take supplements, I cannot eat hamburger, steak, or prime rib because I cannot break it down and digest it. I cannot eat rice because it "clumps" on me, I cannot eat dense fish either. I have kidney stones because of a calcium issue which is common in people with bypasses.

Am I thin. No. Do I look normal. Yes. Can I sit in a seat on a plane without an extension. Yes. Can I sit comfortably in a movie theater seat with room to spare. Yes. If I sit in a school desk, am I able to get up without taking the desk with me. Yes. (When I was in college I used to wait until everyone left the room before I tried to get out of my chair). Did I live to see my son graduate from high school when there was a real possibility I wouldn't. Yes. He's now 29 and I look forward to seeing him married and enjoying my grandchildren.

This is a real personal choice, it isn't for everyone. I know people that have been successful, and unsuccessful, with stomach stapling, gastric bypass, and lap band. None of these procedures should be taken lightly. It took me 6 months to make the decision, I pulled my mom and brother into the decision making process to get their opinions (my mother was all for it, my brother was scared to death I was going to die from it). I don't regret doing it but if I were to gain all the weight back, I would not do it again.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
My niece had gastric bypass done January 2009, to date she has lost 285 pounds and is doing really well! The excess skin problem will be resolved with plastic surgery, no amount of exercise will tone up that amount of loose skin.
Tell your niece congratulations! That is wonderful that she lost that much weight. I bet her confindence has sprang up!

My BIL sister also had the surgery and lost over 200 lbs. She had the plastic surgery this winter and looks fantastic!! She could hardly walk before the surgery now she does pushups, situps, bowls, bike rides, etc. She was so thrilled when she started losing the weight she started dating again. She hadn't dated in almost 30 years! She met a man and married him this spring. She has regained her happiness along with her figure and confidence.

See what your niece has to look forward to!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Although my niece is doing great now, she didn't come through it with flying colors. She had the surgery January 2009, but didn't leave the hospital until December 2009! She had major complications that required four additional surgeries.

Even with all the complications she would do it again. Her diabetes and sleep apnea are gone, she is now walking without the aid of a walker and cane...before surgery she was in a wheel chair and pretty much confined to her home. Now she's out walking every day! :)
Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 AM

Isn't that wonderful about how diabetes goes away with gastric bypass surgery? I'm always happy to hear about that "plus" with it. I had a cousin who was a brittle diabetic. No matter how careful she was with food and exercise she never could get her sugar stablized and had to poke her fingers 4 times a day and then give herself the insulin shots. Awful.
I'm wondering when they'll start recommending a type of stomach surgery (not as drastic as bypass) to halt diabetes for all who have it, instead of insulin shots. That'd be great.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
My niece had gastric bypass done January 2009, to date she has lost 285 pounds and is doing really well! The excess skin problem will be resolved with plastic surgery, no amount of exercise will tone up that amount of loose skin.
Tell your niece congratulations! That is wonderful that she lost that much weight. I bet her confindence has sprang up!

My BIL sister also had the surgery and lost over 200 lbs. She had the plastic surgery this winter and looks fantastic!! She could hardly walk before the surgery now she does pushups, situps, bowls, bike rides, etc. She was so thrilled when she started losing the weight she started dating again. She hadn't dated in almost 30 years! She met a man and married him this spring. She has regained her happiness along with her figure and confidence.

See what your niece has to look forward to!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Although my niece is doing great now, she didn't come through it with flying colors. She had the surgery January 2009, but didn't leave the hospital until December 2009! She had major complications that required four additional surgeries.

Even with all the complications she would do it again. Her diabetes and sleep apnea are gone, she is now walking without the aid of a walker and cane...before surgery she was in a wheel chair and pretty much confined to her home. Now she's out walking every day! :)
That is great i have Diabetic, Congestive heart Failure, Pulmonary Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)) Sleep Apnea, and I walk with a cane.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 AM

:lol: Try"Biggestloser.com. My Husband and I have lost at this point 25 lbs in Three months. I know it is slow but we are in our late 70's and early 80"s . My husband is diabetic and his blood sugar count has gone way down. we can't excerciuae easily but we try to walk.
T^ry watching them on TV first then joining for just three months for a beginning trial. This program works
ceegee
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

I had a gastric bypass 15 years ago. I lost 128 lbs., and have stayed within that weight +/- 10 lbs. I weigh less during the summer when I'm more active than I do doing the winter.

I investigated all the surgeries available for weight loss before making the decision (there were around 60 of them at the time). When I decided on the procedure and surgeon, I attended support meetings and got a list of women to call and talk to about their experience. They were all very candid and honest.

It's a very evasive surgery, I religiously followed all the post-op instructions. I did have an "apron" after I lost all the weight and, because of hygenic issues, was able to have a tummy tuck covered by my insurance. Oddly enough, I thought the tummy tuck was far worse than the bypass.

I'm lactose intolerant, I crave sugar but it doesn't like me so I have to be careful, I will have vitamin deficiencies for the rest of my life so will always have to take supplements, I cannot eat hamburger, steak, or prime rib because I cannot break it down and digest it. I cannot eat rice because it "clumps" on me, I cannot eat dense fish either. I have kidney stones because of a calcium issue which is common in people with bypasses.

Am I thin. No. Do I look normal. Yes. Can I sit in a seat on a plane without an extension. Yes. Can I sit comfortably in a movie theater seat with room to spare. Yes. If I sit in a school desk, am I able to get up without taking the desk with me. Yes. (When I was in college I used to wait until everyone left the room before I tried to get out of my chair). Did I live to see my son graduate from high school when there was a real possibility I wouldn't. Yes. He's now 29 and I look forward to seeing him married and enjoying my grandchildren.

This is a real personal choice, it isn't for everyone. I know people that have been successful, and unsuccessful, with stomach stapling, gastric bypass, and lap band. None of these procedures should be taken lightly. It took me 6 months to make the decision, I pulled my mom and brother into the decision making process to get their opinions (my mother was all for it, my brother was scared to death I was going to die from it). I don't regret doing it but if I were to gain all the weight back, I would not do it again.
Thank you for letting me know your decission you made and the dos and dont
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM

A friend of ours had a gastic bypass and nearly died from complications. She was in intensive care for two months. I do understand, however, that these procedures treat people whose lives are already in danger. It's one of those "between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place" decisions. Good luck to you.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Jerrie, I'm a widow, 62, and had gastric "sleeve" done Feb 8. Had discussed with my husband and he fully supported my decision. Took me 2 years (after his passing) to have it done. This was an informed life-changing decision. Was not morbidly obese, but not happy in my body. I've stopped thyroid, cholesterol medicine. Was on verge of diabetes and that's gone. Once my weight is down, I WILL have surgery to remove skin.. if needed. I'm not a vain person, just want a healthier body going into my later years. My mom is 87 ... I want to be live to be 115, slim and pert !! Go for it. It's your life, your body. God Bless. Send me private message and I'll share more details.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM

Jerri
Sent you a pm!