Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band >

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Gastric By-Pass or Lap Band

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM

I had a gastric bypass done in Oct, 1996. Due to adhesions from a prior surgery the operation took 12 1/2 hours instead of 4. My husband was going nuts as no one told him anything.

I had to go through a lot of procedures before they would consider me for the GB, including seeing a Psych.

I think it was the best decision I have ever made.

Has it been tough? Well,I had to figure out what my body would allow me to eat and follow the doctor's directions. I no longer LIKE anything sweet. I love spices! I cannot eat beef as it makes me nausious and I get tired of waitresses asking me if the food was all right because there is so much left on a plate. One normal meal usually lasts me four meals, unless my DH eats it.

Would I do it again knowing all the consequences? Yes, I honestly do not believe I would be alive now. I feel so much better and definitely look better and have less health issues.

Was it successful? Yes, I lost about 95 lbs of which I have gained back 20. I'm told you always gain some back.

I love having more energy and feel so much better about myself.

Am I saggy? My chin is a little saggy and so are my upper arms. I look hideous in a bathing suit or without clothes, but partly because of the previous surgery I have a scar from my breast all the way down. I did have a very small bit of plastic surgery done a year after my operation on my stomach as I tried a leg press with weights and got 3 hernias. That was because of the large scar I had. Now they can do the procedure with a laporoscomy and you do not have a huge scar. But I am over 50 and almost everyone gets saggy then.

I was told one thing that I firmly believe is true.
Year 1 after the operation, the weight is 100% bypass.
Year 2 after the operation, it is down to 80% bypass, the rest is retraining yourself and willpower.
Year 3 after the operaion, it is down to 50% bypass.
Year 4 and the rest of your life it is strictly the retraining yourself and willpower.

Even though they (in my case) stapled off part of the stomach and seperated it, and added a band at the top of the new stomach, it can stretch. If you start eating as you did before the surgery you will regain your weight.
Listen to your doctor's, exercise, and have a picture of the before operation picture available.

I can eat 1/4 of a sandwich and be totally full. A friend who also had the surgery can eat a whole sub, bag of chips, and a huge slice of cake and then still look for a snack shortly thereafter. Needless to say, she regained her weight plus more.

The decision is yours. Get informed! And if you decide to have the operation, go see a nutritionist who deals in bypass patients. I have one. She monitors all of my blood counts as once you have the surgery your body doesn't absorb as many nutrients. She/he will tell you what foods to eat and monitor your success.

People say that bypass surgery is an easy out, far from it! It takes a lot of determination and guts to have it done. But if it means that you can live longer with better health and more energy ...?

Good luck and if you have any more questions you can PM me. I can only tell you of my experience, not speak for others.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 PM

No1jan your story sounds so much like the story of my DD regarding the before as well as after care of GB. It is a lifetime thing and lifestyle change. And it is far from easy. I'm proud of you. Personally for me I knew I would cheat and not stick with it. Might as well be honest & admit it. My DD on the other hand was more drastically ill and had very little choice. It gave her her life back. She faithfully attends support group meetings and sees a Nutritionist. Since Oct.'06 she has lost over 200 lbs. & is keeping it off. But this is not for everyone. It is a measure that an individual has to decide on for themself. And it is strictly a tool, not a miracle. Again, I'm proud of your success.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
No1jan your story sounds so much like the story of my DD regarding the before as well as after care of GB. It is a lifetime thing and lifestyle change. And it is far from easy. I'm proud of you. Personally for me I knew I would cheat and not stick with it. Might as well be honest & admit it. My DD on the other hand was more drastically ill and had very little choice. It gave her her life back. She faithfully attends support group meetings and sees a Nutritionist. Since Oct.'06 she has lost over 200 lbs. & is keeping it off. But this is not for everyone. It is a measure that an individual has to decide on for themself. And it is strictly a tool, not a miracle. Again, I'm proud of your success.
Thank you, tell you DD I wish her the best. She is off to a great start.

:thumbup:
Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Any surgery is risky. If your surgeon is experienced and has many successful operations like this then it's your decision. I know you have to commit to a healthy life style change and that is very hard for some people to follow. A co worker had weight loss surgery, not sure which one and lost all the excess weight. She was able to get off a lot of her meds. She did not eat healthy or exercise and all her weight came back in a few years. Good luck! I think any action is better then no action to solve a problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM

i had it done in 2002, lost 135lbs, gained back about 40 from some meds i was taking, once i figured that out, i've lost it again (back down to 125) and have kept it off for the last 8 years. i can eat 1/2 sand for lunch meat and veg for dinner, slimfast for breakfast and i'm stuffed. it worked for me, my doc is jealous of my blood work, my bones aren't too happy, but for 55, its not too bad a trade off considering the trade off. each person needs to make their own decision with their doctor. don't let strangers tell you what to do, let the people who take care of you who know you best help you decide and go from there. it might work for you, it might not. it did for me.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:32 PM

My niece had gastric bypass done January 2009, to date she has lost 285 pounds and is doing really well! The excess skin problem will be resolved with plastic surgery, no amount of exercise will tone up that amount of loose skin.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Jerrie, I know exactly how you feel - I am in the same boat! My sil had the gastric bypass done and she is even heavier than before the surgery 4 years ago. A friend - who was a nurse - had the lapband done 2 or maybe 3 times, but ate the wrong foods, and lost maybe 5 pounds at the most. Then she dieted and exercised and has lost about 90 pounds or more. Have you thought about Biggest Loser retreat in Utah? I have been looking into it - I just can't lose by myself!! I HATE being fat but I am stuck!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

One of the women I work with weighed almost 400lbs and went to doctors asking about both procedures. The company's health insurance at the time wouldn't pay for all of it and she didn't want huge medical bills.
So she decided to just change her eating to match the gastric bypass eating. Small amounts of the foods and liquids on the post surgery eating plan, several times a day, etc. She ended up losing weight on her own. She made herself not cheat or eat more that they'd let a real gastric bypass patient.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM

This is something I have thought about but never seriously considered. My DH did not like the idea of such an invasive surgery. My mother has suggested I look into it, I don't even know if my insurance pays for it. My primary care doctor has no endorsed it. We have talked about how I need to lose weight.
I have a lot of joint problems and I keep thinking that if I can just get the weight off I would be able to move more and then able to keep it off. I could lose at least 125 lbs, that's a whole person!!!! I have been, sort of, working on an eating plan. I have lost 20 lbs since October. That's not much, I know, I need to do better.
If this is the route you choose to go. I hope that it goes well and you are successful at it!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
My niece had gastric bypass done January 2009, to date she has lost 285 pounds and is doing really well! The excess skin problem will be resolved with plastic surgery, no amount of exercise will tone up that amount of loose skin.
Tell your niece congratulations! That is wonderful that she lost that much weight. I bet her confindence has sprang up!

My BIL sister also had the surgery and lost over 200 lbs. She had the plastic surgery this winter and looks fantastic!! She could hardly walk before the surgery now she does pushups, situps, bowls, bike rides, etc. She was so thrilled when she started losing the weight she started dating again. She hadn't dated in almost 30 years! She met a man and married him this spring. She has regained her happiness along with her figure and confidence.

See what your niece has to look forward to!

:thumbup: :thumbup: