Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe) >

Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe)

Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe)

Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 AM

Hello from Illinois. I was born here, raised on a farm with 5 siblings, a dog, a pet goose, an occasional pet pig, chickens, ducks, sheep, hogs, and cattle. It's pretty flat here in the central part. My oldest sister started me sewing on mom's machine when I was three. She stacked encyclopedias on the sewing chair and I remember having to stretch my leg out to reach the knee pedal. Grandma taught me to crochet, my older twin sisters taught me to embroider---then I went to kindergarten! I've painted since I was young, tried almost everything from candlewicking and candle making to zither playing. I still paint but sew more. I make most of my own clothing, some of my daughters, and occasionally a shirt for DH. I just really got into quilting about 2 or 3 years ago.
Here's my mom's recipe for making homemade noodles. I started making them at 10 years old so you know it's pretty easy.

Eggs, flour, baking powder.
Approximately one egg per person

Crack eggs into bowl and beat lightly with a fork
Start mixing in flour a little at a time
add about 1/2 tsp. baking powder per egg
keep adding flour until you can't add anymore.
put a big pile of flour on a flat surface (mom used newspaper on her table) take a ball of dough (about the size of a tennis ball or slightly smaller)
start rolling it out making sure there's plenty of flour on top and bottom.
roll it thin--1/8" or thinner
cut across the middle then down twice to make six sheets approx. the same size. Stack them up with flour in between the layers, roll them into a log and slice approx 1/4". Separate by tossing gently, spread them out and allow them to dry all day or overnight.
Bring chicken broth to a boil and then add the noodles a handful at a time while stirring the broth. Once they start to boil again, reduce heat to a simmer and let them cook. Stir them every few minutes. Add salt, pepper, or a little chicken boullion to taste. Add pieces of chicken a few minutes before they're done.
DO NOT KNEAD-- the heat from your hands will toughen the noodles.

And here's my personal favorite:

Hot Dog Gravy
throw some left over bacon grease in the skillet and get it hot.
slice up some little rounds of hotdogs and toss them in to brown
mix some flour (enough to really thicken the grease but not so much that it's lumpy) into the grease once the hot dogs are browned on both sides and let it cook until it turns light brown.
Stir in a mixture of 1/2 milk, 1/2 water stirring constantly
cook over med to high heat until it thickens. Stir it regularly to keep it from lumping up. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Serve over baking powder biscuits, toast, or bread. YUMMM!!!

This recipe was mom's solution to the problem of having to feed 8 people with three hotdogs.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 AM

I'm Maggie. 45 and a newlywed (September. I am originally from Connecticut, currently in Oklahoma, and since we just bought a house that will be DH's retirement house (He's 63) will likely stay here. I have one DD in Connecticut, no grands yet, but DH has three- two little girls in MI and one (21) here in Tulsa.

We run a small Italian Greyhound rescue out of our house. I also work as a litigation assistant after years as an insurance exec.

I miss Fluff and Indian Pudding- two things you can't find in OK. I am known for my cookies, I make a minimum of 14 varieties and sometimes more at Christmas time. These are the ones my little nephews from Ireland call Maggie Bikkies:

1 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 / 2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2tsp baking soda
1 cup zante currants
6 oz mini semi- sweet morsels

Combine butter, sugars, egg and vanilla, beat until fluffy
Add flour and baking powder mix. Mix well.
Stir in currants and chocolate morsels
Shape into a 12 inch roll. Wrap in plastic wrap
Chill until firm
Slice into ¼ inch slices
Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes

For some reason, even kids who don't like raisins like these- the dried currants are crunchy and sweet, rather than chewy. Taidhg and Finn love them.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Pam

I am Pam and live in Southern Illinois. I grew up in Michigan, too! I met my hubby when we were both in the USMC, he retired from there 11 years ago. Our 30th anniversary is this weekend.

I have 2 grown kids, both in college now. I have 3 house dogs, 3 barn cats and 4 horses, we live on a 60 acre hobby farm. From the looks of the place, my hobby is weeds!

This is a recipe that I made up, but it is good. It seems that men especially like this one. I like it on toast in the morning, but it is REALLY good on turkey sanwiches.

Jalepeno Jelly

Just follow the directions for grape jelly on your favorite pectin package. I substitute cranberry juice for grape juice. Heat your favorite juice to boiling with 10 halved jalapeno peppers, I even leave the stems on, just rinse everything off. Let the liquid cool, strain and prepare according to package directions. If you do not like so much heat, use less pepppers and remove the seeds and pith (white part) Use gloves when you do this or it will burn you under your fingernails like they are on fire. The burning lasts for hours. Ask me how I know!

I like the cranberry juice, it makes such a light pink, delicate looking jelly, so pretty and dainty, but with a wicked kick. That combination really appeals to me. Enjoy!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Im CarrieAnne, and I live in the country between Milton and Whitewater, WI. I have 3 kids, 22,20, and almost 17. I also have two dogs, a yellow lab and a bulldogge, and 4 kitties. I have been quilting about 15 years, but just easy stuff, nothing complicated, LOL!
HHMMMM, a recipe from my area would have to have cheese, since we are the cheeseheads here, ya know! I cant think of any right now, will post a cheesy one tomarrow!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM

I'm originally from Rhode Island, but now live in a little town called Fulshear, which is about 30 minutes due west of Houston. We've been here 3 years and I still haven't gotten used to the awful summers. I've always lived on the East coast and this was a BIG adjustment for me.
I'm married (2nd for both of us) for 13 years although we've been together for 20. I have one son who's 27 and is an event coordinator. He lives in Massachusetts, so I don't get to see him that much because he works all the time.
I have always done needlework of all kinds and am now an avid quilter and knitter. I actually teach knitting, which is a lot of fun.
Here's a recipe from RI for Johnny cakes which is how my mother made them when I was growing up: http://www.kenyonsgristmill.com/trad...l_recipes.html

And here's a recipe for authentic Texas gaucamole: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/rec...01/recipe3.php

Enjoy!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Buffalo, New York USA

Hi, I'm Beth, 22, a student at SUNY Fredonia.

I was born in Buffalo, grew up about 30 minutes away in the city of Batavia, NY, and now my family is back in Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

Buffalo is famous for our chicken wings.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buffalo...-I/Detail.aspx

BTW, only tourists call them "Buffalo wings", if you ever come visit just say "wings" ;-)
Old 05-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Google Goddess

cool this thread is taking off, come on quilters post so we can know you and love those recipes
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM

HI :) I'm Kerri, born and raised in MI. I was a paramedic for 8 1/2 yrs, now i stay at home with my 13 month old. Mom of two, 1 angel in heaven and my 13 month old daughter. Made my first quilt 11 yrs ago when i broke my back. Have mainly cross stitched the past few years (easier to take to work). Getting back into the sewing now :)
Live in Ludington which has one of the carferries to Wisconsin. I think it's a beautiful area.
No particular special recipes for the area but one thing i like to make is taking boneless skinless chicken breasts and cutting up red potatoes, sprinkling them with ranch dressing mix and baking them in a preheated oven at 350, until they are done. Time depends on the size of the chicken breasts and potato chunks.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Google Goddess

Come on quilters, introduce yourself and type up a recipe for us, we are very hungry!