Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe)

Blog Entries
    I thought this would be fun to get to know others by where they live. Please be sure put like the state, country so we know where you are from. Also post a link to get to know more about your area along with posting a recipe from your area.

I am working on a scrapbook to get to know more about all the states in USA and other countries. I am trying to collect a recipe from each area. I would appreciate you telling me more about your area so we can have fun and post a recipe.

Thank You!

Blog Entries
    I will start:

Indiana, USA

Karen (birthday November 15, 1956) and I live in Indiana, USA
    I started quilting last year and having a blast. I am married, no kids, but we have a spoiled dog. I belong 2 quilt guilds, a group of quilters also meet for a weekly sew day and love learning more about quilting.

Indiana site to get to know my state:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/indiana/

Sugar Cream Pie (is famous in Indiana)

Recipe Follows:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...arCreamPie.htm

I'm Pam from the upper peninsula of MIchigan. I've been a serious quilter for about 15 years but have quilted off and on for 35 years. I teach quilting when I can and I belong to a guild and 2 quilting groups that meet once a week. Those who live in the U.P. are called "yoopers" and those who live downstate are called "trolls" (because they live under the bridge!) A food that is a yooper favorite is a pasty - which is a meat pie made with beef, potatoes, onions, sometimes rutabagas. Here's a link to the recipe:
    www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I made your recipe clickable:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
    I'm Pam from the upper peninsula of MIchigan. I've been a serious quilter for about 15 years but have quilted off and on for 35 years. I teach quilting when I can and I belong to a guild and 2 quilting groups that meet once a week. Those who live in the U.P. are called "yoopers" and those who live downstate are called "trolls" (because they live under the bridge!) A food that is a yooper favorite is a pasty - which is a meat pie made with beef, potatoes, onions, sometimes rutabagas. Here's a link to the recipe:
    www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html

Blog Entries
    Here goes!
    Daphne and I am married to the man of my dreams and reality, We live in Eva ,Alabama USA .I am a stay at home mom to 4 kids DD-13,DS-10 1/2,DS-8,DS -soon to be 5 .I caught the quilting bug about 8 yrs ago and haven't stopped since.Southerns are well known for their accents and their hospitality and our sweet tea( to cope with the heat and humidity) Visit http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genIn...ocIndex=261948 for info on our little town. And some of our favorite dishes are fried (anything, especially okra and squash)We have a dish called Alabama Scramble-Recipe- Gather Squash, (2-yellow, 1-Zucchini)2 med.- dicedGreen Tomatoes, 1 doz. pods ofOkra, 3-med.Red potatoes, 1/2-onion, 1tsp.salt and pepper to taste, 1 cup cornmeal and 1/2 cup flour.Cut up veggies into 1/2 inch pieces and add cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper, toss to coat. Place in preheated skillet with enough oil to just cover the bottom, cover and cook on medium gas heat for about 5-7 mins(don't leave this dish;browns fast) lift lid & check for browning, brown yet? Cook with lid on only about 15mins then leave off so it browns well.Turn and continue until everthing is scrambled well and golden brown.Serve with Pinto beans, turnip greens , slaw, pot roast and another southern staple CORNBREAD and a plate of cucumbers, onions, sliced tomatoes(red)Delish!And don't forget gallons of sweet tea.Ahh, southern nectar

Deb- In Ohio, USA. I was born in Upper Michigan, but we moved to Ohio when I was young. Since all moms family was still up there, we went back to visit almost every year.
    I am married to a wonderful man, and have 2 grown children, 2 grands and just recently found out I have another grand on the way!!!! I have a spoiled dog and a spoiled cat that rule the house.

Blog Entries
    Come on quilters, introduce yourself, tell us about your area and post a recipe!

We are hungry!

Where: Southern CA, in the desert.
    Children : grown
    Grandchildren: 2, spoiled by grandpa
    Favorite recipe: Mexican restaurants, husband's cooking. I gave up cooking. To many complaints. I might think of something later and will post it.

I can't copy a link as I don't know how without a mouse.

That is one thing I miss about Michigan are the pasties!!! In fact, these are some of my favorites to make in the winter!! No one over here has ever had them!! :-D :-D

Blog Entries
    Hello all..
    I am from a little town just south of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. I have lived here most of my life. I am married to a wonderful guy for 31 years. We have two children..a son 30 who is still single..and a daughter , 26 married with so far our only grandchild..Chloe. OUr daughter is graduating in October from nursing school. Our son in law is an AMTRAK train engineer. Our son is starting his own business.
    I have been quilting for 25 years..it is my passion. I retired in 2006 from the floral business.
    Gettysburg is a beautiful national park..and the surrounding area is rolling hills. We are noted in this area for snack foods. The area boasts Utz potatoe chips and Snyder pretzels. Our local dishes consist of scrapple, puddin', Hog maw and sweet bologna.
    I have 5 shih tzus and one cat..all spoiled rotten..
    I posted a recipe on that thread...for Whoopie Pies

Hello from Illinois. I was born here, raised on a farm with 5 siblings, a dog, a pet goose, an occasional pet pig, chickens, ducks, sheep, hogs, and cattle. It's pretty flat here in the central part. My oldest sister started me sewing on mom's machine when I was three. She stacked encyclopedias on the sewing chair and I remember having to stretch my leg out to reach the knee pedal. Grandma taught me to crochet, my older twin sisters taught me to embroider---then I went to kindergarten! I've painted since I was young, tried almost everything from candlewicking and candle making to zither playing. I still paint but sew more. I make most of my own clothing, some of my daughters, and occasionally a shirt for DH. I just really got into quilting about 2 or 3 years ago.
    Here's my mom's recipe for making homemade noodles. I started making them at 10 years old so you know it's pretty easy.

Eggs, flour, baking powder.
    Approximately one egg per person

Crack eggs into bowl and beat lightly with a fork
    Start mixing in flour a little at a time
    add about 1/2 tsp. baking powder per egg
    keep adding flour until you can't add anymore.
    put a big pile of flour on a flat surface (mom used newspaper on her table) take a ball of dough (about the size of a tennis ball or slightly smaller)
    start rolling it out making sure there's plenty of flour on top and bottom.
    roll it thin--1/8" or thinner
    cut across the middle then down twice to make six sheets approx. the same size. Stack them up with flour in between the layers, roll them into a log and slice approx 1/4". Separate by tossing gently, spread them out and allow them to dry all day or overnight.
    Bring chicken broth to a boil and then add the noodles a handful at a time while stirring the broth. Once they start to boil again, reduce heat to a simmer and let them cook. Stir them every few minutes. Add salt, pepper, or a little chicken boullion to taste. Add pieces of chicken a few minutes before they're done.
    DO NOT KNEAD-- the heat from your hands will toughen the noodles.

And here's my personal favorite:

Hot Dog Gravy
    throw some left over bacon grease in the skillet and get it hot.
    slice up some little rounds of hotdogs and toss them in to brown
    mix some flour (enough to really thicken the grease but not so much that it's lumpy) into the grease once the hot dogs are browned on both sides and let it cook until it turns light brown.
    Stir in a mixture of 1/2 milk, 1/2 water stirring constantly
    cook over med to high heat until it thickens. Stir it regularly to keep it from lumping up. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Serve over baking powder biscuits, toast, or bread. YUMMM!!!

This recipe was mom's solution to the problem of having to feed 8 people with three hotdogs.

I'm Maggie. 45 and a newlywed (September. I am originally from Connecticut, currently in Oklahoma, and since we just bought a house that will be DH's retirement house (He's 63) will likely stay here. I have one DD in Connecticut, no grands yet, but DH has three- two little girls in MI and one (21) here in Tulsa.

We run a small Italian Greyhound rescue out of our house. I also work as a litigation assistant after years as an insurance exec.

I miss Fluff and Indian Pudding- two things you can't find in OK. I am known for my cookies, I make a minimum of 14 varieties and sometimes more at Christmas time. These are the ones my little nephews from Ireland call Maggie Bikkies:

1 cup butter
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 / 2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2tsp baking soda
    1 cup zante currants
    6 oz mini semi- sweet morsels

Combine butter, sugars, egg and vanilla, beat until fluffy
    Add flour and baking powder mix. Mix well.
    Stir in currants and chocolate morsels
    Shape into a 12 inch roll. Wrap in plastic wrap
    Chill until firm
    Slice into inch slices
    Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes

For some reason, even kids who don't like raisins like these- the dried currants are crunchy and sweet, rather than chewy. Taidhg and Finn love them.

Pam
    I am Pam and live in Southern Illinois. I grew up in Michigan, too! I met my hubby when we were both in the USMC, he retired from there 11 years ago. Our 30th anniversary is this weekend.

I have 2 grown kids, both in college now. I have 3 house dogs, 3 barn cats and 4 horses, we live on a 60 acre hobby farm. From the looks of the place, my hobby is weeds!

This is a recipe that I made up, but it is good. It seems that men especially like this one. I like it on toast in the morning, but it is REALLY good on turkey sanwiches.

Jalepeno Jelly

Just follow the directions for grape jelly on your favorite pectin package. I substitute cranberry juice for grape juice. Heat your favorite juice to boiling with 10 halved jalapeno peppers, I even leave the stems on, just rinse everything off. Let the liquid cool, strain and prepare according to package directions. If you do not like so much heat, use less pepppers and remove the seeds and pith (white part) Use gloves when you do this or it will burn you under your fingernails like they are on fire. The burning lasts for hours. Ask me how I know!

I like the cranberry juice, it makes such a light pink, delicate looking jelly, so pretty and dainty, but with a wicked kick. That combination really appeals to me. Enjoy!

Im CarrieAnne, and I live in the country between Milton and Whitewater, WI. I have 3 kids, 22,20, and almost 17. I also have two dogs, a yellow lab and a bulldogge, and 4 kitties. I have been quilting about 15 years, but just easy stuff, nothing complicated, LOL!
    HHMMMM, a recipe from my area would have to have cheese, since we are the cheeseheads here, ya know! I cant think of any right now, will post a cheesy one tomarrow!

I'm originally from Rhode Island, but now live in a little town called Fulshear, which is about 30 minutes due west of Houston. We've been here 3 years and I still haven't gotten used to the awful summers. I've always lived on the East coast and this was a BIG adjustment for me.
    I'm married (2nd for both of us) for 13 years although we've been together for 20. I have one son who's 27 and is an event coordinator. He lives in Massachusetts, so I don't get to see him that much because he works all the time.
    I have always done needlework of all kinds and am now an avid quilter and knitter. I actually teach knitting, which is a lot of fun.
    Here's a recipe from RI for Johnny cakes which is how my mother made them when I was growing up: http://www.kenyonsgristmill.com/trad...l_recipes.html

And here's a recipe for authentic Texas gaucamole: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/rec...01/recipe3.php

Enjoy!

Buffalo, New York USA

Hi, I'm Beth, 22, a student at SUNY Fredonia.

I was born in Buffalo, grew up about 30 minutes away in the city of Batavia, NY, and now my family is back in Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

Buffalo is famous for our chicken wings.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buffalo...-I/Detail.aspx

BTW, only tourists call them "Buffalo wings", if you ever come visit just say "wings" ;-)

Blog Entries
    cool this thread is taking off, come on quilters post so we can know you and love those recipes

HI :) I'm Kerri, born and raised in MI. I was a paramedic for 8 1/2 yrs, now i stay at home with my 13 month old. Mom of two, 1 angel in heaven and my 13 month old daughter. Made my first quilt 11 yrs ago when i broke my back. Have mainly cross stitched the past few years (easier to take to work). Getting back into the sewing now :)
    Live in Ludington which has one of the carferries to Wisconsin. I think it's a beautiful area.
    No particular special recipes for the area but one thing i like to make is taking boneless skinless chicken breasts and cutting up red potatoes, sprinkling them with ranch dressing mix and baking them in a preheated oven at 350, until they are done. Time depends on the size of the chicken breasts and potato chunks.

Blog Entries
    Come on quilters, introduce yourself and type up a recipe for us, we are very hungry!