Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
getting rid of moles in the yard >

getting rid of moles in the yard

getting rid of moles in the yard

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Will have to show this topic to DH. We've got MOLES! Seems like there are many more than years past! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM

This really works. We used this method. Gummy bears!! Don't touch them with your hand. Use a stick or something like that , that has no human scent on it. Shove them in the holes and paths. Moles will eat them but they can't digest the candy and they die. We frequently get moles comimg from the golf course and this really does work. Good luck
Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM

This is an interesting thread, since I'm a gardener. It makes sense to me to get rid of their food source- grubs- and that would get rid of them. However, I can't bear to put out those bug poisons or mole poisons when my cat would eat the poisoned moles and get sick or die then. It's an ongoing struggle for us because of this.

I had a barn/house cat die a couple years ago from undetermined causes, vet said possibly liver failure - I highly suspect that he got into some poison or poisoned animals around here, and that did him in! So maybe the rascal moles are just keeping the grub population in control, and providing snacks to my cat! And I gotta watch my step!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM

The only thing that I know of that actually works (other than the guillotine!!) is castor oil. It is expensive, but they don't like it. If you have a small enough yard, you can just use a spray bottle to cover your grass. They eat the roots and since they don't like the oil, they won't have any food and will move onto...your neighbor's yard!!! This is also a very environmentally friendly cure...won't hurt your yard, children or animals.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Haven't read all the posts but my mother said they move at 12 noon and 6 pm. (I don't know how they know the time, so don't ask.) She would go out in the yard & stand real still and watch for movement. Then stomp the tunnel behind and with a hoe start digging in front of movement. She dug 'em up every time. KILLED 'EM. You have to be brutal.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
HAve you tried garlic. In another post we were discussing garlic and some were saying that it keeps moles away.
Well, I hadn't thought of that for moles---it has, however, kept the vampires out of the yard...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Put some exlax in the runs. An old remedy but it really works.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 AM

The moles eat grub worms. You need to put down grub worm killer. Get rid of their food source and you'll get rid of them. I've done this....it works!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:12 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

My cat brings a mole up to the back door now n again. QUESTION-if I put down the grub killer is it non toxic to my 4 small dogs? my 2 yorkies are as bad about digging for the moles as the cat is!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
My DH's aunt would chew Juicyfruit gum, then put it in the hole. She swore that killed them.

this is what I do, too. They eat the gum, can't digest it, bloat up and poof they are done for.