Going grey gracefully

Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM

I really hate that yellowed look - to me its the same as yellow teeth. Sorry, hope I haven't offended anyone.

I hope to love my natural hair.

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
Originally Posted by Corky
I have decided to see what color my hair truly is and I am at that stage where my grey roots are about 6 inches long now. Looks awful!

My questions to all of you is:

1. Is there a way of getting through this growth period gracefully?
2. Is there a rinse to make my grey hair sparkle, rather than be dull? I hate the old and tired look. I want to have nice hair that looks and is, healthy, but I don't think I am going to have that gorgeous vibrant grey that is so pretty.

Help?
1. Not really, unless you wear a hat! When I let my grey grow out, I got my hair cut short and frequently - so it wasn't too bad.

2. My hairdresser recommends a purple shampoo, specially formulated for grey hair. It helps keep it white, not yellow, and really brings out the shine.

Keep in mind that the grey you now have is your "natural" colour and, once you get used to it, you'll realize that it's really pretty gorgeous after all. And if you want to really funky get a coloured streak put in it like I did - royal blue goes beautifully with grey!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:43 PM

You local salon should have a product made by CHI. Tone and shine. Leave it on your hair for a few minutes while in the shower and it covers the gray. Washes out after a few washes. But its not like some of the hair dyes out there that wash out uneven. this stuff is all natural and is a great product in my opinion. the only draw back is the price. I really dont know how much I get mine for free because my mom is a hair dresser.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM

I just went "natural". I had gone lighter and got tired of dying it. I had my hair cut like Jamie Lee Curtis. I really like it and have gotten compliments on it. It has always bothered others more than me. I am staying silver/gray.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152782.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM

i had the same problem when growing out my hair i decided to get it cut short to get rid of the rest of the color boy am i glad i dont have to keep that up anymore
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Pantene makes a good blue shampoo called Silver Expressions, cream rinse too, mine is white with silver sparkles and has been since my 30s, if you smoke or are around someone who does it will always have a yellow tint. part of why I quit smoking!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM

I too am very gray, more white in front and grayer in back. I have been so since my 40s and love it. I did dye it once and didn't like the upkeep so keep it natural. I also use the Pantene for silver hair as our water has alot of rust in it and my hair tends to turn yellowish.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

you have to remember that gray hair has a different (coarser) texture than your "normal" hair, so you have to do more to it to get it shiny and smooth.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
you have to remember that gray hair has a different (coarser) texture than your "normal" hair, so you have to do more to it to get it shiny and smooth.
Some gray hair is coarser than the original but mine came in baby fine. I keep thinking it is thin but my beautician keeps telling me it is because it is gray/white and very fine it looks and feels thinner. It was more coarse when I was younger.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
BMP

I am letting mine grow out too, I have had graying hair since high school. I alway had some sort of color on it but I have decided to let it grow out also. Since my color was a lighter one its not as noticiable as when someone has darker color on the ends. If its grown out 6 inches why dont you just get a new style that would rid you of all the colored hair...its a win win new color and new style. It might look completely different to you once all the old colored hair is gone
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM

I have white hair, done past the grey stage and was down the middle of my back in length..........started when I was in my 30's, from my dad's side of the family. I will be 50 in May, and like today, I just colored my hair, med auburn (original color) .......my mom is 69 and had very little grey. My dad was grey by 25 or earlier from what I remember being told. I just can't do it...the grey/white. We just moved to this area and went to the church in town yesterday, then eventually the pastor stopped by our house and was visiting. Was amazed as to how young I looked with the amount of grandchildren (7) I have. Thought my husband had "robbed" the cradel. He was to funny, but for me, grey makes me look older then my mother and I just don't feel that old yet.
The Wednesday before Christmas, I did get it cut to just below the shoulder for a new look but still don't have the heart to go all grey/white. So I will continue coloring.