Going grey gracefully

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

There are alot of herbal ways to brighten gray hair without having to resort to dyes. Here's an example...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ly.html?cat=69
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Well, I'm probably the wrong person to ask, but, i'd suggest that you cut your hair.

I've been a 'wash and wear hair' girl since I was 20 - now 61. It's very rare that my hair gets past 4 inches long...it's just too much work! So I'd have a 'natural' head of hair in about 2 - 3 months.

I did let it grow out to about 10" about 5 years ago. It was a nice change, but the upkeep was a burden. My DH was relieved when I went back to my 'normal' look. Me, too!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I went gray about 1 1/2 years ago. Everyone tells me I have beautiful gray hair. I say, at least I don't have the hassle of coloring it any more!!!! When I decided to do it, I cut it very short and let it grow out. I loved the short hair, and it didn't take long for it to grow. It's medium short now because I choose to have it that way. I think the funny part of being gray is when I'm in a room with ladies twice my age ( slight exaggeration ) and I'm the only one with gray hair! They all still color theirs.
Love that comment! I finally stopped coloring my hair inmy early 40's. I didnt have enough gray to look good, just patches. Everyone tells me I have beautiful gray hair, but I really don"t see it, just didnt want the dyed look any longer. MyMIL and SIL all raved about my hair, but they all dyed theirs. MIL died at 83 in an accident, but she had dark brown hair. I use a Pantene product that is clear , suppose to stop frizz, and it makes my hair very shiny.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

I occasionally use the Pantene Silver Expressions. My hair color was auburn and I was afraid it would come in yellowy, but since it faded to ash brown and then started going grey (in my mid-30's) it won't hold color. And left alone, it is shiny, soft and I get lots of compliments on my "highlight" which are really God's highlights.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM

I do the 'splurge' every couple of months and get highlights/lowlights in my hair. That way as it grows out it is not as noticable. I also have gone back to my usual short kinda pixie style that's just blow 'n go. Much easier to take care of!

Well, I love your hair! I hope mine looks as good!
Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I went gray about 1 1/2 years ago. Everyone tells me I have beautiful gray hair. I say, at least I don't have the hassle of coloring it any more!!!! When I decided to do it, I cut it very short and let it grow out. I loved the short hair, and it didn't take long for it to grow. It's medium short now because I choose to have it that way. I think the funny part of being gray is when I'm in a room with ladies twice my age ( slight exaggeration ) and I'm the only one with gray hair! They all still color theirs.
Love that comment! I finally stopped coloring my hair inmy early 40's. I didnt have enough gray to look good, just patches. Everyone tells me I have beautiful gray hair, but I really don"t see it, just didnt want the dyed look any longer. MyMIL and SIL all raved about my hair, but they all dyed theirs. MIL died at 83 in an accident, but she had dark brown hair. I use a Pantene product that is clear , suppose to stop frizz, and it makes my hair very shiny.

I hope I get 'God's Highlights" too!

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I occasionally use the Pantene Silver Expressions. My hair color was auburn and I was afraid it would come in yellowy, but since it faded to ash brown and then started going grey (in my mid-30's) it won't hold color. And left alone, it is shiny, soft and I get lots of compliments on my "highlight" which are really God's highlights.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM

oh wow, you sound like me at the hairdresser, I am (was?) a natural brunette, slowly had lighter and lighter until i was blonde. I'd rather spend money on other things than my hair. SO i cut it short, used a semi/demi color to bring me back to what my natural was. Now I am at the point where I don't have to color any longer. I earned my gray ad I'm happy to wear it. I'm 44 and loving every minute of shorter hair and not paying my hairdresser oodles of $$ every 6 weeks.

PS. I wear NO make up either, never have. I still wear a bra, though, can't stand to have those things hanging in my waist band :-)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM

I have medium brown hair and it is super baby fine.
where the strands of gray that have shown up they are so odd. they are all sparkly irredescent and very noticeable.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
Pantene makes a good blue shampoo called Silver Expressions, cream rinse too, mine is white with silver sparkles and has been since my 30s, if you smoke or are around someone who does it will always have a yellow tint. part of why I quit smoking!
Can you still get the Pantene silver expressions??? I cant find it, and I was told that they stopped making it. I have very light grey and white hair.....blessed with that combination at a very early age as my mom was completely silver when she was 40.
My hairdresser used to put alot of blonde streaks in my hair to camoflauge it , but then finally convinced me to let it go natural.
I have had alot of compliments on it, but it was a rough transition for me...