Good Marriages

Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM

My advice to you would be to remain friends with your husband. Do as many things together, even if just a short walk outside together. My husband and I hold hands when ever we are out in public. And remember to say "I love you" and kiss at least once a day. Marriage is a lot of work for both of you. It is hard at times. Remember, you will always love him, but some days it's ok to not like him.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM

My hubby and I have been together for 14 years and married Jan 1, 2000.

AND we still like each other! :) most of the time. LOl

Here are the rules we have... yes.. rules that we agreed on.

1. Never EVER argue about finances, no matter how bad it gets. And we have had a lot of bologna and hot dog days.

2. NEVER hint, joke, or say the word DIVORCE. It just isn't allowed.

3. Do NOT argue in from of the kids. It isn't their fault you're mad at each other, but they will think it is one way or another.

4. Now this is the most important of ALL. Realize that you will NOT like each other all of the time. For Pete's sake, we are all human and we all have good days and bad days. If you can't stand him breathing, then take a day off from each other. JUST REMEMBER, IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY. Sometimes it might last a week, or even longer, but you have to stop and realize, this is just one of the times the preacher was talking about. Thick and thin, sick and wealth.

I do not believe in divorce. My mom was married and divorced twice and it was terrible! My husband knows how I feel about it. Unless you are being abused, and I don't mean he said your hair looks bad today, but actually in mental or physical danger, there is no reason for divorce. Suck it up and work it out.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Treat your spouse with respect; be proud of him/her; and keep laughter in your marriage. My DH has been making me laugh for nearly 50 years.........
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM

After being married 32 years I would say don't have a competition with your spouse. I see young couples competing, and hear the phrase too often, "What about me". They compete for money, friends, time and who has to care for the kids. Lots of times if a young couple can get past this phase they can come to work together toward the same things.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Choose wisely before you marry. Keep the lines of communication open at all times.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM

#1. Marriage is work, as has been stated before. The Great Marriage Fairy doesn't exist and will not visit you. You need to put in the effort (and sometimes it is an effort) to make time for each other and work together to make decisions.

#2. Your children should not be more important to you than your spouse. Eventually your children will grow up and move away. Neglect your spouse for your children and you may look around and be alone. Make time for each other that has nothing to do with the kids. Also, children belong to both of you. No one parent is in charge -- share the decisions.

#3. Support each other. Help your spouse with a project/problem even if you'd rather be hanged by the thumbs.

#4. Fight fair. You will not live in delightful harmony every minute of the day unless one or both of you are heavily medicated. You will have arguments but when you argue, don't call names and leave each other's families out of it.

That's all I can think of for now. Have to go help DH with #3 now and, yes, I'd rather be hanged by the thumbs.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Suck it up and work it out.
This is probably one of the best things I have ever heard from anybody!! We have been married for near 22 yrs, this July, and that is the one thing that has always got us through the toughest times. Just sucking it up and working it out. Sometimes it takes days to figure out a solution or compromise and other times it takes nothing at all. It's just believing that in the end, it WILL be worth it, that gets us through. I was 15 and he was 18 when we got married and NO ONE gave us more than 6 months til we split. Well, I say they lost the bet. :wink: Our biggest thing has always been "decent" communication with each other. I say decent because sometimes in the heat of the "battle", that's all ya can really hope for. LoL! We have never gone to bed mad or upset, even if it meant not sleeping that night.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM

We married while we were still in high school, 42 years ago. We had our kids young and didn't have a clue how to be married, let alone raise kids. We decided that our goal was always to be honest and teach our kids right from wrong. We are grandparents to 8 kids. I think my advice is this: marriage requires 100% out of both. It requires allowing each to do their own thing and to have their own space when needed. It requires each to be the sounding board for the other and it requires unconditional support for each other. It requires a good rousing argument once in awhile, and it requires laughter....lots and lots of laughter. It requires forgiveness... and most of all you have to like each other. Love is often easy, but liking your partner sometimes is very hard.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Treat them the way you would want them to treat you. Make the Lord the center of your marriage.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Just remember that the first 5 years will be the toughest. Don't forget to make time for each other and yourselves. Don't go to bed angry.

We dated for 3 months prior to getting engaged, 6 months later we were married. We have been married for 23 years now.