Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Goofiest gift you ever got from a significant other >

Goofiest gift you ever got from a significant other

Goofiest gift you ever got from a significant other

Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrspete
Oh gosh, it was a pair of animal bedroom shoes. At the eleventh hour, fifty-nineth minute......he ran in the door with a big box, wrapped from Kmart. I opened it the next morning. The look on his face was more surprised than mine. In his 'spirited' moment, he' purchased a man's size eleven right foot wolf and a man's size 12 left foot bear. UGH I'd wished I'd never opened it, because it hurt him and his look hurt me. He never read the rules of shopping, like not when you are hungry or in a hurry or 'spirited'.
I think this one goes in the "thoughtless/annoying" category

Is he doing better now?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 AM

My Dh bought me a vacuum sweeper one year and I was ticked off. He kept acting like it was so special a present and then it was the sweeper. The next year he bought me a diamond wedding ring so that made up for it.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2
This has got to be the worst!! A padded toilet seat. 'nuff said.
Sorry, I had to laugh at that. I hope it was a pretty color and not just plain white.

Okay, I have one to add, but it wasn't annoying because I wanted it. It was kind of goofy though.

My DH got me a litter robot for my birthday about 7 years ago. What's a litter robot, you ask?

http://www.litter-robot.com/

We had our two fat older cats then and the litter was a nuisance, as it is for everyone with one or more cats. We kept it upstairs and because it was out of sight, we didn't clean it more than once a week. My DH cleaned it more often than me, but he'd gripe and carry on about it the entire time. His complaints drove me nuts. I wasn't fond of cleaning it up either, but at least I didn't gripe the entire time (well, maybe part of the time). I bought a second litter pan in hopes that with two they wouldn't be so messy, but they accepted the challenge and made twice the mess. Finally I decided there had to be a better way without getting rid of the cats.

I started googling automated litter boxes and found the kind that are less expensive, but most of the comments I found said the tines got matted and stuck and were worse to clean than regular litter pans. Then I happened to find the litter robot site. I thought wow, this is great! Then I saw the price. I thought wow, this is insane! Then I thought how insane I'd be in a few more years of listening to DH gripe about cleaning the litter pans. Hmmm...the price didn't seem so bad. I don't think they were nearly as expensive as they are now, but it was still a huge amount.

I showed DH the litter robot website, played him the video, then finally had to show him the price. Well, that was that. He said no way, nada, absolutely not, don't even think about it. I couldn't blame him. They were expensive! It did help a little just to show it to him because he didn't complain nearly as much while cleaning the litter pans for a few weeks. :D

My birthday was a few months later and lo and behold, I had a big box to open. OMG, I couldn't believe it. Paul bought me a litter robot. I was really shocked; I never dreamed he'd get one. I thought it was funny that he got it for my birthday, but I didn't care, I was glad to get it.

We put it upstairs and the cats started using it right away. They loved it! They'd sit and watch it go round and round: it entertained them for hours. We only had to empty it once a week; it was, and is, wonderful. It never smells. When we put a door on the top of the steps to save money, we moved the litter robot down to the landing on the stairs, which means it's about six feet from the dining room table. But it never smells and is worth every penny Paul paid for it. Holly started using it when we got her and when we took care of a relative's cat for a couple weeks, he used it with no problem.

Just don't tell our cats they make a newer model with a back extended window or we'll never hear the end of it. :mrgreen:
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 AM

My husband and I used to have a runnning joke every year at Christmas. He'd threaten to buy me a salad shooter for my gift, and I threatened to move out if he ever did. He never did give me that salad shooter (thank goodness) but we laughed about it every year.

Renee
Old 11-29-2009, 05:59 AM

On year DH bought me an air compressor. After I opened it, he then decided that it was not big enough and exchanged it for a bigger one. He wanted to make sure if I need to oput trim up that I had a proper tool. I thold that's what he was for. By the way I've never used it.