Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got an odd call

Got an odd call

Do process servers from the county call looking for people? I just got a call from ********County Process servers. Just curious if this a new scam to look out for.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Sounds like one!
    Fear motivates people to respond to their "orders" so that they get what they want.

.......though I am not familiar with the American process.
    Best to check with that County and find out.
    Or to call your local police department.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

SOunds fishy? Were they asking for money? Personal info? Was it threatening in nature? Was it a foreign accent?

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    SOunds fishy? Were they asking for money? Personal info? Was it threatening in nature? Was it a foreign accent?
    She was very polite, asked for a person who I didn't know. She just said thank you and our info must be outdated and hung up. Odd thing there was no background noise as if she was in a small room, a slight echo could be heard too.

Caller ID said "Private" with no number, when the county calls at least a number is displayed.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I just got a call yesterday with the ID caller on the phone display saying "Private Caller". I answered and they were asking for money for police auxillary. I just hung up.

My sister got the "you're going to be arrested" call from the "IRS" the other day.
    She isn't worried lol

Hard to tell what you heard. Not much info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    ..........Caller ID said "Private" with no number, when the county calls at least a number is displayed................
    Maybe you should have called her on that?

Though if they were trying to find someone, I can see them blocking the #
    as the types they would be looking for would for sure not answer seeing that on display!

Did she identify up front as being from the Process Server's office?
    Or asked first for whomever? in order to get a quick response of yes,
    so she knew the person belonged there, and then could serve him/her in person?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    My sister got the "you're going to be arrested" call from the "IRS" the other day.
    She isn't worried lol

Hard to tell what you heard. Not much info.
    My SIL got one of those for her son. They were pretty shocked when she told them to come and get him.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Maybe you should have called her on that?

Though if they were trying to find someone, I can see them blocking the #
    as the types they would be looking for would for sure not answer seeing that on display!

No she didn't, she didn't even say her name.

She said the person's name. To which I replied no, that person isn't at this number.
    I asked who she was....she said she was the county process server. Our county uses a private company
    and they don't call before hand.

No she didn't, she didn't even say her name.

She said the person's name. To which I replied no, that person isn't at this number.
    I asked who she was....she said she was the county process server. Our county uses a private company
    and they don't call before hand.
    It sounds like she was representing them and sleuthing for someone.
    Could be that they have lost track of someone, and somehow got info leading to your number.
    Or the digits reversed or something of that sort.
    Or sometimes ... people give their #, but with reversed digits, just so they can't be found. KWIM?

I hate it when I get a call for someone ....... that has no connection to me.
    I'm the same as you and am very suspicious when something like this happens.
    Worse ..... when they are calling for your husband, and he is dead ........
    I tend not to give a straight answer about that either.
    It's obvious they are up to no good, and need to know any further details to aid their ploy.

Try calling your county office to see if that is something they actually do.

I hate it when they 'steal' your number and make calls. I have had this happen and have returned calls to those who have had their number stolen. And have had email address stolen, too. They 'play' the net to steal information. One looked up "spokeo" with their own name and was amazed at the info there. don't know if it still works or not. Even Google earth give the wrong information on where we live. Guess they are confused about Missouri hills, valleys and curves! LOL!

GPS has house numbers messed in our Grandson's neighborhood. A roofing company tore off his roof and put a new one on before the supervisor got to the house and saw it was suppose to be his nextdoor neighbor. Everyone involved was afraid he would be mad. Although he didn't need a new roof he was very happy to get it. He is just starting the trip of life. He was on vacation, no one was home.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Sounds like a bill collector trying to track someone down. My DD got a bunch of calls like this because someone used her name, not her credit card or SSN and opened some department store accounts. I wouldn't worry at all if they didn't ask for money or threatened you.

NEVER give your info to someone on the other end that you didn't call.

There is a scam where you are called and asked a yes or no question. If you say 'yes', it is recorded and plugged into a conversation with the scammer - that you never had - where you say "yes" to purchasing something or donating $$ to something.

Who knew it would become so darned dangerous to answer your telephone?
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Probably a robo-call, at that. I guess that it works often enough for the scammers to continue doing it, but a robo-call always makes me wonder how dumb they think I am.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Do process servers from the county call looking for people? I just got a call from ********County Process servers. Just curious if this a new scam to look out for.
    I'd give the police a call and just report the incident. They may already have other folks who have received the same call. Sometimes people are just trying to find out if folks are home, if it was a landline.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

It is quite possible the person was trying to locate the person she asked for. When I was handling claims sometimes we would hire investigators to find our injured workers. They would pretend to be someone else that someone would give information to. Also, one time I had an insured have their brand new Toyota catch fire in their garage and almost burnt their house down. The dealer would not give them or us the Toyota contact in Los Angeles. It was most frustrating so I decided to pretend I was a very satisfied customer of the salesman and the dealership and I wanted to send a letter to the Toyota Corporation. They couldn't give me the name, address, phone number fast enough. Toyota was thrilled that I called them - they sent out a representative the next day and took care of everything for the owner.

And I did some internet checking - there is nothing to answering "Yes" or "No" for scammers. No company has voice recognition yet so unless they have your SSN or the credit card #, the "Yes" and "No" is not going to get anywhere.

Blog Entries
    Be sure they are not watching your house. After a call like that you could leave your house unattended and look for a friend or something. I'd be totally skeptical.

Always sit in a cafe with your back against a plain wall so you can see the entrance.

I got a call for the IRS yesterday...sounded like he was calling from a foreign country by his accent. Do they really think we will fall for this crapola? Just laughed and told him goodbye I mean really...........

The IRS calls are usually from south Asia; the Publishers Clearing House calls are from the Caribbean, and of course the "trunk box waiting at the airport" are usually from Africa.

As to the saying "yes" scam, I don't believe there's ever been a case of anyone losing money because of that.

We have lots of hail damage in our neighborhood. The scammers are out in force. I can't believe the number of calls to inspect our house. I called the insurance company. They sent a person known to them to look over the house. We will wait for the process. We will have to have lots of work done but are not in as bad a shape of lots of others since we have no holes or leakage. There are so many scammers out there. I rarely answer the land line unless the caller ID indicates someone I know.

We recently moved and got a new phone number. I thought we would have a reprieve from junk calls for at least a little while as we had a new number unknown to scammers. "Wrong", we were absolutely bombarded for the first couple of weeks with calls. So how do they get our numbers so quick? How much do phone carriers get for selling our numbers anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    The IRS calls are usually from south Asia; the Publishers Clearing House calls are from the Caribbean, and of course the "trunk box waiting at the airport" are usually from Africa.

As to the saying "yes" scam, I don't believe there's ever been a case of anyone losing money because of that.

New/Old scam...

I had a missed call several days ago from the 876 area code. I looked it up and apparently the number is associated with a scam about winning the Jamaican Lottery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast