Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Clearing the air... sorry, just a love joking with old mom, they are all very dependent thats the way we raised them,
Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM

well our oldest is 21 and still at home. She'll probably be out in a few more years but there are younger kids awaiting her room. s close as I can figure it maybe in about 10 years I'll have enough out of the house to have a room of my own....
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 PM

I am a terrible mom but I could not imagine wanting my kids to stick around forever. I was so ready for them to go away to college. I loved them when they were around but think every step towards independence for them is a step towards freedom for me. I spent a lot of years putting them first and am ready to have a bigger sewing room, a more peaceful house and the freedom for my husband and I to travel.

We still have one left in HS but I won't be at all upset when I have an empty nest. I try to enjoy each stage of my life while I'm in it. I enjoyed having babies, then kids, then teenagers and am not ready to enjoy the next stage where my life doesn't revolve around motherhood.

I always feel like a terrible parent when I hear others crying about the empty nest. :?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Ah, Irish--I agree. I'm a terrific parent--as I'm sure you are. But I'm noticing the phases now. For 18+ years we give our kids all we've got--110%. I embraced every stage, too. My daughter turns 20 next week, and my son is 22. I built a firm foundation and am always here when they need me. But--this is a delightful time of life-I call it ME time. Hubby and I have freedom and privacy! I can move from the barn to the sewing machine all I want on a vacation--I can focus on ME! I'm really enjoying this!! :-D But, I think I'll have had enough of it once grandkids show up--then I'll be ready to share my ME time with them. It's the way it's supposed to work.

I used to tell my kids I was helping to build their foundations. Once they were in college, I cut out an article called "Talking to Your College Kids About Drinking" and asked both if we should go over it. Rachel said "Mom, you already built the foundation, now I'm working on walls and windows."

Smart girl, eh? :wink: