Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 AM

Ok better yet.. who has had color nightmares? When I got out of the hospital a few years back my good friend decided to help perk me up by coloring my hair. I had had chemo and all sorts of other treatments, lost my hair, it had grown back but more like a chia pet. I went from long blonde hair to this .. stuff. So she died it blonde only it ended up like crayola yellow. I didnt care I was alive so heck with it. She came over a week later with a much better solution to fix that yellow. She colored it again. I was now crayola orange. I told her I woud leave it it was just fine but honestly thought of coloring it purple for the heck of it. And I am so not hip, cool, modern but the way I was running through that crayon box I figured what the heck. Finally it toned down. My best friend colored her hair dark brown. She called up in a serious panic. I AM ELVIS BLACK HAIRED.. shoe polish hair. Took color stripper, toner, probably paint o fix her hair to just look seriously way to dark brown. Better than Elvis. Barely. I have gone red once, horrible horrible color for me, tried browns for a bit.. ok but I am pretty pale for them to work .. so tell me, what exciting colors have you been?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 AM

I have Auburn hair, my own. but it looks brown,unless i am in the sun. Never dyed my hair..but have gray coming in..i think it looks like highlights ;)
I do a "driveby" to get my hair cut..so i can't imagine getting an appointment to get it colored too!
i grew up with all men around me and my grandma..worked in a steel mill doing a mans job, so dying hair, makeup and clothes are not in my genes...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 AM

There is no way on this planet that I am going grey gracefully. Bring on the dye. I started to dye years ago and I keep doing it and will.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 AM

I'm 71, I was a redhead, let the hair go gray naturally. My sides are almost perfectly white and when my hair gets a tish too long, the sides almost look like wings! Must be the angel in me. I colored my hair once (you, who are my age should remember) with peroxide across the top. I have had one permanent in my life. (Hated the smell). I have a thick head of hair, and is generally unruly (like me), and I like it. I like the fact that I don't have to have those curly permanents. I llike the fact that I don't have multi-colored roots and by George I worked for every darn grey/white hair I have on my head. Besides I think there is something very dignified about a little old gray haired lady! You wonder what people are thinking. Edie
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barb M
....... But the real surprise was this. When i coloured my hair, i thought it would make it more dry and brittle, but the opposite happened. Every time i colour my hair it gets so soft, it's the texture it used to be before it was grey.
Barb, I color my hair for the same reason -- the texture. My mother turned totally pure white at 35 (she blamed it on giving birth to my brother! :-) ). I don't have that excuse but also turned white at 35.

My hairdresser uses a semi-permanent color on me, at my request, because I didn't want the "roots" problem I see on a lot of people who color their hair. I'm (was) naturally blond so I go with a lighter color which gradually washes out over 6 - 7 weeks. Works for me.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 AM

Gray, Gray, Gray and ha been this way since my youngest was 7 or 8 - My kids are now grown. I am only 43. My fav. thing to say " The only thing old about me is my hair " It has been this way so long it is just who I am.
liblueeyes

oh no gray.....*S*
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38841[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-38841.jpe  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 AM

My mother's family NEVER goes grey. My Mamaw died at 82 with long jet black hair. My dad's family is generally grey by 30. I'm 41 and have 3 or 4 grey hairs by my part. They don't show much because my hair is some weird multi-color reddish-brown, blondish mess. If I get a big grey spot, I'll probably color. If it sprinkles in nicely, I'll leave it alone.

As for color disasters..........Sun-In. My sophomore year I decided to go blonde with Sun-In. No one told me that peroxide type stuff turns reddish hair ORANGE. Day-glow, vibrating ORANGE!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 AM

I'll be 45 this month and in the last 3 years I've gone about 50% gray. Enough that I was asked if my youngest 4 kids were my grandkids! they're 13, 10, 8 and 5! So I now use henna on my hair to keep the gray at bay. Color dries my hair out and makes my scalp itch so much that I hate using it. I did color for years...I like being an almost red head! Henna takes a bit more time but is easier on my hair. I end up with soft manageable hair instead of the straw I was having! And since according to my 21 yo I'm YEARS away from grandkids Ive decided to not go gray just yet!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 AM

I remember Sun In!!!!! I just had a flashback! I have blonde hair that is gradually darkening. I'm lucky to have good genes, my mom has just started to go grey at 55. I color my hair when I get bored of it. That or I chop it off. Since right now I'm liking being able to put ponytails in, color it!

My DH has dark brown, almost black hair and has been going grey since before we got married. He complains about it and my response is that at least he still has hair. His brother was bald by 30, so for DH to have a full head at 33 is doing well!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 AM

I have been gray forever....used to color but hair is so thin I don't want to abuse what I have LOL