Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 AM

I had my first gray hair when I turned 30..turning 30 was so hard on me.. (don't know why either), but I had always used Sun In on my hair.. so much so that my hair was so dry and brittle.. but it was blonde!. :lol: I got bored with the blonde and went back to my orginal color sans gray.. golden brown... well now however, gray hairs and I are not friends.. they come in faster than the grass grows on the lawn. So I keep that coloring on hand just so when that first gray apears I can zap it with color! Me vain?? *LMAO* When it comes to my hair and the gray.. YUP! You betcha I am!

I did see an article about a year or so ago about "embracing the gray".. I read it and thought what an awesome thing to do.. BUT not for me.. I'll be coloring my hair till the day I die!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM

I'll quit coloring mine when "they" pry A6 from my cold dead fingers! LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm 70 and starting greying at 26. No, I don't color it. Don't feel like it is too healthy. It is what it is.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM

My hair started greying at 18. I started coloring it when I was 28 and did so until I was 58 when I saw someone at church that had hair similar to my grandmother, who never colored her hair. It looks so pretty that I decided to see what mine would look like. I have never regretted it. No hassle. I am lucky enough to have naturally curly hair - just a wave not tight curls. So, I have wash and wear hair! You just can't beat that! After putting hours into my hair most of my life, I now spend 5 minutes or less!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Justok
I'm starting to go grey. I don't mind the grey but it is greying around my face and when I look in the mirror I see an orangutan looking back, (they have a halo of grey around thier faces), so I have my hair highlighted to hide where the grey is.
You are so funny, great sense of humor, I started going white in my 20's , a white stipe like a skunk so I really know what you mean. I feel that if your hair is good you just feel better. I have been thinking of going white. My hairdresser says"only freaks of nature look good with white hair". I haven't decided if I want to be a freak of nature. FYI to those who don't know, white an grey hair are stiffer, so, harder to manage or curl....just so you know.
:lol:
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 AM

RED HAIR is TOPS! For the last ten years I colored my hair around February because it started to go very dull. It is 'strawberry-blond'. But it was a lot brighter when I was younger. Now I color it a couple of times a year. Redheads don't go gray easy-they fade away. I watched my older brothers and they did eventually go gray but first to a beigey nothing color.
I did not like being called 'Redhead-pee the bed-wipe it up with jelly bread'. Kids will be kids and I did laugh at it.
Loreal Excellence 8gr or 9rb, I forget. I am beginning to see gray and that makes my sister happy. She was the only one of six with black hair and always says J.C. Kath, when are you going to go gray. She has been dying her hair for 50 years. Oh well what are sisters for?
Interesting topic, Thanks for starting it.
Kathleen
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Quilting Grannie,

WOW! Are you sure that's you in the third photo? My guess is that you are early 30's. Good job cutting your hair.

You look great.

Kathleen
Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 AM

I addressed with myself last year. I had always said that I when I turned 50, I would stop coloring my hair. Well, it took me a couple of years to work up the courage. I had been coloring my hair since I was 31. Would I look old? Would I be respected less? More? I have to say, the growing out process was not difficult. It took about 7 months. I don't wear my hair real short, nor long. It hits just above my shoulders. I actually like how it looks today. I have a lot of salt, some pepper underneath. My hair is softer, curlier, and generally more healthy. I don't have to be as careful with my shampoos, afraid they will fade my color too much. I don't have to hide my skunk stripe because I don't have the time to color my hair. The whole process was a freeing adventure for me.

Try it, you'll like it.

CathyO in Sedalia, CO
Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Hi Charlee, and Yourstruly,

Two of my sons live in Bend - It is always a sparkling day in Oregon! Love to visit them a couple of times a year.

Anyway, red hair is interesting and you can't help getting noticed whether you want too or not. I am still reddish-blonde. Sometimes helped with "special shampoo".

There is a 'Ginger Hair Day' in Breda, the Netherlands. Photographer advertised for 'a' redhead and got 150 replies. 5 years later it is about 3000 people. We are a disappearing breed.

Go Red,
Quilter68 (AKA Kathleen)
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM

I also started graying in my 20s and have always colored it,a med auburn.this past year when I turned 51,I said" I am so tired of coloring my hair every 6 weeks" so I quit.Now it is a reall pretty (i think) salt and pepper,I know I have gotten a few compliments on it.and I like not having to mess with it,My sister tried not coloring hers,had a good 6 inches of growth and couldn't take it anymore and had it done