Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I was just thinking about all the quilters I know, and wondered how many color their hair, and why? And if not, why not?

I color, but am thinking about letting it grow out to it's very gray shade. I always worked and that was my original reason for coloring, as I was turning gray at 25. Now I am nearly 70 and still coloring. DH and I adopted a little boy who is now almost 7 and at first I thought I needed to continue coloring,'cause i didn't want him to think I was old! Ha!
So, what do you all think? ............hmmmmm..............
I color. I'm mid fifties and it's a light brown - I was a dark brown and started to get grey in college. When I'm ready, I'll have it just highlighted with a bit more white every time I get it colored until it's as light as my roots. Don't want to suffer through 2-tone hair.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM

I did for awhile, but then discovered I am allergic to the dyes, or so the Dr. says, so I stopped. So now I'm a washed out brown. ha But I don't mind, I earned those gray hairs! Will probably get lots more from my kids, even though they are grown.
On a different note, my poor fingers are terrible, they peel and crack and bleed. Again, the Drs. say I'm allergic to fabric dye, can you believe it? But I sew anyway and just bought some finger cots to try, any of you others have this problem? Think I'll post a new thread on it. (no pun intended)I have a big break out after I do any machine embroidery too.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM

I am going on 70 this year and have never colored my hair.It is just starting to turn gray. My husband was gray at 18 and my daughters all inherited it so they all color their hair. Oh by the way I cannot believe I am going to be 70. We will be married 50 years the 24th of this month.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mom of eight
I am going on 70 this year and have never colored my hair.It is just starting to turn gray. My husband was gray at 18 and my daughters all inherited it so they all color their hair. Oh by the way I cannot believe I am going to be 70. We will be married 50 years the 24th of this month.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! I hope you have a swingin' big party!! Congratulations!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm 49 and started with the grays a few years ago. I can't stand to sit still to get my hair cut, so there's not way I'd ever get it colored. The time and expense--not a chance. And deal with roots coming through? Bah! Hubby's been gray for awhile, so I tease him and say now I won't look like his daughter. hahahahahaha
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My gray is the ugly old gray (mangy rat not silver fox), so heck yeah, I color. I give my hairdresser free reign of what she wants to do. Except for about 10 years ago when I insisted on becoming a blond. I was blond alright and looked like Big Bird. Slowest color to ever grow out.
I have to laugh at this...I was on vacation in Italy and decided to get my hair done. I went blonde--must have been a communications breakdown because I ended up spending the rest of my vacation looking like "Old Yeller" :). Live and learn, I say.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM

I started going grey in my 30's. People have actually asked if I had it done that way. Coloring costs time and money that would be so much more fun spending on fabric and yarn and books. Am getting more compliments on the grey than when is was brown. And my DH absolutely loves it.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

My story and thoughts on gray hair. In 1997, my thyroid was in almost complete shutdown, but I didn't know it. Only knew that I was gaining some weight eating salads and drinking water. Doctor confirmed this with a simple blood test. Within 2 weeks...I had gray all through my hair. (looked like it had been frosted)

I have always had long straight hair, but last year after losing 100 lbs. I got 30 inches cut off and donated it to 'locks of love'. The salon I went to told me that grau hair was coming back as the 'in' thing. They now have 8 different shades of gray that women are coming in and having their hair colored. I laughed as mine is all natural and I love it!

Funny thing, my mom is 30 years older than me and has very little gray in her hair. But as for me...I would rather be spending time with my grandbabies or quilting (when I get the chance).
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM

First, how wonderful that you want to be parents again at your young age!! I think that is great!

I was completely gray by 45 with whiter streaks blending in by 50. I colored once and it turned orange and I said never again!! I was sitting in the salon one day waiting to have my hair trimmed when a lady sitting next to me said "are you in to have a dye job"? When I said no, she said "never do anything to your hair, it is so beautiful!". She was probably in her 30s so that made me feel very very good about leaving it in it's natural state!! My sisters think I'm crazy but God made me this way and I love it.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM

I didn't know there was gray hair color. hmmmmmmmm....I think I will look into it. I really don't want to do the grow out thing.
I'm just so torn between color or no color. Man you'd think I was trying to decide if I want to be hung or shot!!