Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM

i went completally grey at 19 been coloring ever since,i am now 64. makes me feelbetter about my self,im now 64.think its all to do how the person feels.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Staying colored, but from long to short - just thought I'd share.
You do a very good job on your hair. What a pretty lady. :-)
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by ORSunshineQuilter
My hair started greying at 18. I started coloring it when I was 28 and did so until I was 58 when I saw someone at church that had hair similar to my grandmother, who never colored her hair. It looks so pretty that I decided to see what mine would look like. I have never regretted it. No hassle. I am lucky enough to have naturally curly hair - just a wave not tight curls. So, I have wash and wear hair! You just can't beat that! After putting hours into my hair most of my life, I now spend 5 minutes or less!
ORSunshineQuilter, you have beautiful gray hair. I also used SunIn for a couple years. I liked the results I got and I always hated those roots showing so quickly. Guess my hair grows fast. Now they have those mascara looking tubes of color to touch up the roots, but it was way past my prime, so just gray.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mom of eight
I am going on 70 this year and have never colored my hair.It is just starting to turn gray. My husband was gray at 18 and my daughters all inherited it so they all color their hair. Oh by the way I cannot believe I am going to be 70. We will be married 50 years the 24th of this month.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Hi Yours,

I am the same age as you are and don't have a lot of gray, but what I do have is in front of my ear on one side of my head, and only some in front of the ear on the other side of my face and then some across my forehead - To say I look lopsided when I let this mess grow out is an understatement. And, to top it off, I don't have "pretty" grey hair as some folks do. So, I had it dyed (about ten years worth) until I realized that my hair felt just awful & the color was always too dark. So, I stopped dying it two years ago and let it grow out. Of course, there was that dreadful lopsided mess again - so, after trying Loving Care hair rinse for the past year, I'm now using a temporary color that washes out after 28 shampoos. It's too dark, but it will lighten as I wash it. Some ladies have beautiful grey hair, but I'm not one of them. However, my hair is much healthier, shiny, and feels much better since I stopped having it dyed. 70 year old hair, like 70 year old bodies need all the help they can get!

Marnie
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM

Only grey on top (at least about every 4-6 weeks), then it disappears from the bottle (wonderful stuff, after all I am only 44)
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Yes, we do need all the help we can find! I'm still debating this question, and it's been months. I start to let it grow out and the freak out and color it again. If I didn't have to go any place for a couple of months, I think I'd go for it. Talk about vanity!! But I wouldn't want to be seen half and half. YTQ
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM

I have no idea WHAT my real hair color is! :lol:

I go every 6 weeks as my hair does not grow that much. It's one of the few days out of every few months that I get to sit, drink soda (I try to stay away from it) and read People magazine. It's my little break from life.

That said, if I didn't work full time, I probably would give up the added expense and let nature take it's course.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

I had red hair (on the auburn side) and always like it. I have been coloring it for years to maintain the same shade. It has become so expensive but its very important to me (for some crazy reason).
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Yes, we do need all the help we can find! I'm still debating this question, and it's been months. I start to let it grow out and the freak out and color it again. If I didn't have to go any place for a couple of months, I think I'd go for it. Talk about vanity!! But I wouldn't want to be seen half and half. YTQ
That is where the reverse thingy comes in. I forget how my hairdresser did it, but it worked out great. I didn't have that half-n-half look going on so much. BTW, I read somewhere that hair grows faster in the spring and summer, so anyone trying to grow your nat color out, this is the time to do it.

It really does make a difference what you do and who you hang out with too. I work at home and don't go anywhere much. Besides, I guess at 60, I am finally to the point where I don't really care about what anyone thinks about my hair or my clothes. I don't spend a lot on clothes. Jeans and T-shirts, and gray hair too. It is pretty cool to be able to read so many different perspectives.