Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-07-2010, 02:00 PM

I've been coloring for years--started getting grays in my 30's when my daughters were born. I've been thinking about letting it go natural, but my hairdresser and my daughter (who is also a hairdresser) say no. I work in an industry with a lot of younger women, so I figure I'll keep coloring until I retire, and then let it do its own thing. My daughter keeps saying she'll tell me when she thinks it's time--but then again, she still thinks I'm 30!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM

I color. Years and years ago I went to visit my Mother. While I was there I let her help me pick out my natural hair color. When I got off the plane my young son did not know me. He always thought I was a redhead. My hair is not turning grey it's turning ugly. My hairdresser (she went to school with DS) has been doing my hair since she graduated. I sit in the chair and let her do what she want. Her Mother and I are the same age. She (hair dresser) said she is not letting either of us go grey. DS said he gave me all my gray and he's probably right. When I was in high school we used to use perxiode and lemon juice to light our hair. It turned orange. I used to get my hair permed. Perming my hair is like trying to curl a coat hanger. Every once in a while I'll ask my hairdresser for a perm and she says "no I'm trying to stop cussing" :lol:
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM

I used to color my hair for yrs. then one day I asked my oldest son how I looked an he said like a old lady with colored hair! Will that did it!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 PM

Dad's family never goes grey - but let me tell you, those aunts and uncles that had black hair can look downright scary when they are old and wrinkly!

I'll be 50 in a few months, no greys yet, but ratherthan blond, it's kind of a dark blond/mousy something. It is thinner than it used to be, too. I'm pretty low maintenance, so even if I get greys, I doubt I'll bother iwth coloring. Keep my hair quite short, a quick blow dry in the AM and run some gel through to add some body, that's it.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Ok, this is too funny! lol lol At the time that i'm posting this, their is a hair colour ad at the bottom of this page!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL :)
Old 02-15-2010, 05:30 AM

I've notice on several different threads there will be an ad at the bottom that goes along with our thread.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm 50 and don't have too much gray on top. Of course, most of the hair on top is more like vacant property. But I do get quite a lot of gray in my beard. So I do occasionally color my beard, mustache and what's left on top. I've got to try and look younger for all the ladies out there now, don't I?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I'm 50 and don't have too much gray on top. Of course, most of the hair on top is more like vacant property. But I do get quite a lot of gray in my beard. So I do occasionally color my beard, mustache and what's left on top. I've got to try and look younger for all the ladies out there now, don't I?
No, gray/white hair on a man makes them 'distinquished". I personally love it as long as it is kept neat and trim. On the other hand --- I color my hair. Not willing to go gray/white just yet, but am thinking about it. I'd rather be quilting. lol
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I was just thinking about all the quilters I know, and wondered how many color their hair, and why? And if not, why not?

I color, but am thinking about letting it grow out to it's very gray shade. I always worked and that was my original reason for coloring, as I was turning gray at 25. Now I am nearly 70 and still coloring. DH and I adopted a little boy who is now almost 7 and at first I thought I needed to continue coloring,'cause i didn't want him to think I was old! Ha!
So, what do you all think? ............hmmmmm..............
I used to color my hair. I started getting gray in 7th grade. Quite a while ago, I decided it wasn't worth the effort and I was tired of messing with it, so I let it go. During the growing out process I had a reverse procedure done so it blended in and wasn't such a stark change. It is funny, since I am naturally gray now, I have had more compliments on my hair than I have had in a very long time. I did let a hair stylist talk me into a "special" shampoo for gray hair. Didn't notice right away, but its the stuff that used to make little old ladies gray hair blue!!! How did I fall for that?!!! I'm 60, but I still don't consider myself a little old lady yet. I look like one and act like one 'cause my bones, muscles, and joints just don't respond to what I want them to do so great. In my head, I'm probably about 40. LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

I am beginning now to get a few gray hairs (my hair is red) I hate my hair so eventually people won't call me a red head as I will be gray. ha ha, lol

Karen
Guess who gets the last laugh! LOL I bet your red hair is beautiful!