Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Justok
I'm starting to go grey. I don't mind the grey but it is greying around my face and when I look in the mirror I see an orangutan looking back, (they have a halo of grey around thier faces), so I have my hair highlighted to hide where the grey is.
Aww. I bet it is really pretty. :-)
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM

My DH was a red head too, and hated it. Over the last several years he's gone probably 80% gray, and looks marvelous. It's blended into kind of a strawberry blonde look that I love. His beard is more white than gray. He's commented that at least he's not a red head anymore. (I loved the red hair too.)
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM

My mom started dying her brunette hair in the early 70's. When she had chemo 4 years ago, she decided to let it grow back grey. After chemo, she had lasik surgery and I have to tell you, my mother looks fabulous with her beautiful blue eyes and silver hair, especially if she's wearing pink or light blue! :)

Me on the other hand, I've done some highlighting in the past, but have not colored. I've got plenty of grey hair and DH calls me his "silver haired beauty". He also says he gave me all of my grey hairs and he's right!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by butterflywing
just started 2 months ago. i went to a party of my peers and i was the only one with grey hair. waaaah? i'm 67.
maybe it's because your peers have all colored their hair! One less thing to take up my time--I'd rather be sewing :lol:
I was just thinking the same thing. There are so many other things I need to use the time and money for, and like someone said earlier, it is freeing. What you see is what you get! Now if I could come to terms with or find a solution for boobs that hang down to my waistline!!! LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
I began finding greys at age 23. I'm very chemically sensitive and so have always avoided color treatments but last summer found some at a natural foods store that were completely herbal. I gave it a go and liked the results. Yea! I wasn't going to be an old looking mom when my son began Kindergarten! But between doing the math ($15/month=$180/year) and carving out time to keep it up, I decided it wasn't worth it. BTW, I'm 37 now and will stay au naturel.
You go, girl!!! :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by butterflywing
just started 2 months ago. i went to a party of my peers and i was the only one with grey hair. waaaah? i'm 67.
maybe it's because your peers have all colored their hair! One less thing to take up my time--I'd rather be sewing :lol:
I was just thinking the same thing. There are so many other things I need to use the time and money for, and like someone said earlier, it is freeing. What you see is what you get! Now if I could come to terms with or find a solution for boobs that hang down to my waistline!!! LOL
Oh please, when you find a solution for that, let us all know! :lol:
Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My gray is the ugly old gray (mangy rat not silver fox), so heck yeah, I color. I give my hairdresser free reign of what she wants to do. Except for about 10 years ago when I insisted on becoming a blond. I was blond alright and looked like Big Bird. Slowest color to ever grow out.
MadQuilter, LOL Thanks for the visual. I can't stop laughing!!! I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you remember. LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
I am letting it to. I am 48 and decided to stop coloring. My hair naturally is a dark ash blonde so now it looks about 25% lighter those marvelous grays act like an instant highlighter. Its not who I am its only hair. I earned every single one of those gray hairs. I had to laugh at the color it so the little one wouldnt think you were old. My own children taught me they all think we are OLD next to them. At 30 yrs old my 6 yr old son asked me if they had cars back when I was a kid (I was born in 1961). My daughter asked me when I was 34 and she was about 5.. Momma am I going to have a fuzzy face when I grow OLD LIKE YOU? Marvelous. So you are OLD off the starting line with someone who is only a handful of years.
I just love all you guys!! You are so honest and real and just sooooo much fun!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Ok better yet.. who has had color nightmares? When I got out of the hospital a few years back my good friend decided to help perk me up by coloring my hair. I had had chemo and all sorts of other treatments, lost my hair, it had grown back but more like a chia pet. I went from long blonde hair to this .. stuff. So she died it blonde only it ended up like crayola yellow. I didnt care I was alive so heck with it. She came over a week later with a much better solution to fix that yellow. She colored it again. I was now crayola orange. I told her I woud leave it it was just fine but honestly thought of coloring it purple for the heck of it. And I am so not hip, cool, modern but the way I was running through that crayon box I figured what the heck. Finally it toned down. My best friend colored her hair dark brown. She called up in a serious panic. I AM ELVIS BLACK HAIRED.. shoe polish hair. Took color stripper, toner, probably paint o fix her hair to just look seriously way to dark brown. Better than Elvis. Barely. I have gone red once, horrible horrible color for me, tried browns for a bit.. ok but I am pretty pale for them to work .. so tell me, what exciting colors have you been?
I was feeling quilty for reading the posts when I should be getting to work (even though it is my day off), but you have made me laugh till I cried! I mean bouncing in my chair and the dogs wondering what in the world is wrong with me!! Thanks so much for the gift of laughter. I think some of you should be professional writers. :thumbup: and comedians. :thumbup:
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by liblueeyes
Gray, Gray, Gray and ha been this way since my youngest was 7 or 8 - My kids are now grown. I am only 43. My fav. thing to say " The only thing old about me is my hair " It has been this way so long it is just who I am.
liblueeyes
I wouldn't color it either. It is a beautiful color and I love the style too. :thumbup: