Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Since this thread got revived, I'm seriously thinking about it again.........................
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by butterflywing
just started 2 months ago. i went to a party of my peers and i was the only one with grey hair. waaaah? i'm 67.
maybe it's because your peers have all colored their hair! One less thing to take up my time--I'd rather be sewing :lol:
I was just thinking the same thing. There are so many other things I need to use the time and money for, and like someone said earlier, it is freeing. What you see is what you get! Now if I could come to terms with or find a solution for boobs that hang down to my waistline!!! LOL
There is a simple solution to THAT problem:
always wear 'empire' waistlines, lol! :lol:
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Since this thread got revived, I'm seriously thinking about it again.........................
Why not try just a temporary color (I do mine myself). If you can't find a color you want, you can mix those temporary colors together just as the hairdresser does. If you don't like the results, you aren't stuck with it until all your hair grows out and your hair hasn't suffered from the chemicals in those dyes. Except for having my hair cut, I stopped using a hairdresser when I stopped dying my hair. The money I've saved is considerable.

BTW, my hair is baby fine so the less product I put on it the better it looks.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 AM

I colored my hair for 20 years can't afford to do it anymore and it a mix of many shades of gray not the pretty gray you see on some people but I figure it will eventually get there and I will keep it cut short till it does
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 AM

I earned every gray hair I have and show them proudly, I started graying at 30 and now I'm 56.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 AM

I have dark hair, started going grey early so I color. And I will continue for some time. I am overweight which already makes me look older than I am, so there is NO WAY I am allowing grey hair too. The last thing I need is someone telling me my "grandsons" are cute (I am the MOTHER!!!)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

I am beginning now to get a few gray hairs (my hair is red) I hate my hair so eventually people won't call me a red head as I will be gray. ha ha, lol

Karen
My mom was a redhead and as she started to gray she looked like she frosted her hair. It was lovely and her hairdresser always remarked about how cool her hair was. May you be as fortunate as her :thumbup:
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I was just thinking about all the quilters I know, and wondered how many color their hair, and why? And if not, why not?

I color, but am thinking about letting it grow out to it's very gray shade. I always worked and that was my original reason for coloring, as I was turning gray at 25. Now I am nearly 70 and still coloring. DH and I adopted a little boy who is now almost 7 and at first I thought I needed to continue coloring,'cause i didn't want him to think I was old! Ha!
So, what do you all think? ............hmmmmm..............
How about just going a lighter shade of what you do now. I'm very near to sixty and blond, but not a pretty shade, so I do make it sunny. Being light the grey is not so noticeable. I'm lucky in that regard. If it makes you feel good, go for it! And thank you for letting a child adopt you! mom!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM

I only do Natural Instincts (Shampoo color). I started school and everyone is younger than I am, so I started to do it. It doesn't make me look any younger, but it is all in my head. When school is done and I have a job I can decide to let it gray again. Is not too gray, just enough to be VERY visible against my very dark hair.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

I am beginning now to get a few gray hairs (my hair is red) I hate my hair so eventually people won't call me a red head as I will be gray. ha ha, lol

Karen
You should LOVE your "Red Hair"...I love mine!! My daughter doesn't like her's either and she has that beautiful strawberry blonde color.

I've been getting gray and it was fine until last week I started seeing a little too many for my liking so I just colored it over the weekend. It's still my auburn color but I would like to have lighter red highlight's in it.