Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I didn't know there was gray hair color. hmmmmmmmm....I think I will look into it. I really don't want to do the grow out thing.
I'm just so torn between color or no color. Man you'd think I was trying to decide if I want to be hung or shot!!
Considering the upkeep once you begin coloring, it is a BIG decision! :D
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM

I have been coloring since I was 25. I know it is all gray under the color. So if I got it colored gray once, I wouldn't have to be bothered with it any more, would I? Or does gray also need touch-up? :shock:
Old 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM

:D I love this thread!!!!! Soon as I read this, I knew it was gonna be good (get involved) thread. I have colored my hair for around 20 years now and I grew really tired of coloring my roots every 4 or 5 weeks by myself. Sooooooo! I decided to let the color grow out on its on, it is not that much difference in my natural hair color now and the blonde color that I have had for the last 20 years. My hair is below my shoulders now and I am gonna let it grow, grow, grow.

Both my Grandma's had all white hair, hopefully, I will be so lucky. You ladies out there with all white hair, you are beautiful to me. Be proud!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM

You would have to ask your beautician. I would think that as your color grows out she can see what color to start you on to begin the transition back to your natural gray. If done right I think (too many beauticians in my family!!) that maybe just a couple of touch ups before the natural color grows in. But check with your beautician.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM

I color.

When I was young and had only a few gray hairs, I'd pluck them out. (I have thick hair, so plucking actually helped matters.) By my late 30s, I had enough gray to not want to keep plucking, so I started coloring.

Now, at 50, I have lots of gray in certain parts and almost none in other parts. When I color it, the gray strands make the inexpensive Revlon ($3) dye look not so monotone because they remain a tinge lighter than the still-dark-brown hair.

Bella Boo posted that it can look obvious and artificial and montone, but I think that is mostly because people leave the color in too long. It so coats the hair that you lose the translucency that makes it look natural. The flip side is that not all of the gray might be covered, but I don't mind a few strands of gray showing.

And frankly, I'd rather look obviously dyed than gray. There are ways of doing it well.

There's supposed to be a touch-up product out there. I've seen coupons for it, but I've never seen it in the stores.

I'll go gray when I'm 70 - if I live so long.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM

No color here - I'm too cheap! LOL My mom never did and I am getting gray they way she did - all around the face first. When I complain about my gray streak, DH says it's a 'racing stripe'! He's a big Nascar fan, so he likes it! At least, he says he does. Smart man I've got LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I started turning gray in my fifties but, not all over, finally it is getting closer to turning about the same color. I would be happy with snow white hair. I think it is beautiful, don't know if mine will ever get to it. My oldest sister always colored her hair - blonde or darker when she got older, she thought I was nuts not to color mine. I told her I would just look like an old woman with colored hair, it would not make me any younger. I can only see myself when I choose to look in the mirror. My husband is turning gray now - in the last few years, he turned blonde as he aged. I have always been natural and see no reason to change now.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I have been coloring since I was 25. I know it is all gray under the color. So if I got it colored gray once, I wouldn't have to be bothered with it any more, would I? Or does gray also need touch-up? :shock:
Mine said that she would do is a "frosting" only with white (like actual grey hair is - not blond) each time she would frost more, so that eventually, it would all match the amount of grey I have coming in naturally.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I just talked to the Envy Salon here in Dallas and she said they don't have gray hair color, but could do it like momo4 just said. We'll see.............

I love this board! and all that are on it!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 PM

I started to go grey in my early 40's and I tried some colour but the bother, the expense, the time, and the money finally convinced me to go grey. Now I have more time and money to spend quilting!LOL
I'm lucky in that my grey is fabulous and so many people comment on my colour. Many ask if I go to the salon to have the grey put in! Too funny!
Go for it. In the end you can colour if you don't like the result.